Can anyone fill me in as to what exactly happened to Arai Ski Resort and spa?

As far as I understand, it was built around 10 years ago by Sony, operated for a few seasons before going bankrupt. Now it is just another abandoned ski resort rotting away on the landscape.....

Does this sound about right? Did anyone ride there when it was operating? Has anyone been there since it closed?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Neck.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know that the Aokiko Sun Alpina resort has only been closed for about 5 years, but that place has already been partially reclaimed by nature. It's amazing how fast stuff grows here and how quickly c

OK, well just give us a shout if you entounter problems. Basically you upload photos in that link I sent you. And then you can write your post, and embed the photos within that post. Look forward t

Thanks for reminding me METAL. Yes we still have those articles, I suppose they will make for interesting reading for those interested in the Arai story. Got some things we need to get done in the

It was called Arai Mountain & Spa. It was an expensive place, up market. But nowhere near enough people went. It lost tons of money. It went bankrupt and yes now it just sits there doing nothing.

It was called Arai Mountain & Spa. It was an expensive place, up market. But nowhere near enough people went. It lost tons of money. It went bankrupt and yes now it just sits there doing nothing.

Thanks for the confirmation muikabochi. So do you know when exactly it closed? At least 5 years ago, right? Did you ever ride there when it was operating in all it's up-market glory?

So how much was a lift ticket when you went? Closed for 7 years now...... Must look pretty crazy already! I guess it's still possible to just drive right up there to the main parking lot, right?

Great snow and lots of it.

It was just too far out of Myoko, and probably too expensive for it's own good, so it just couldn't go on.

Yeah, looks like pretty much the closest resort to the Sea of Japan in the area.

You can drive up to there but I think the parking lots are cordened off. Nothing stopping you walking over there though I guess. Can't see them having security over there.

I don't think lift tickets were particularly expensive, perhaps just a bit more than usual.

But the hotels and everything else was. And they needed lots of people to stay in those hotels, but the people didn't stay.

Cheers for the info tokabochi. So all the buildings and hotels associated with the resort are just sitting abandoned?...... Sounds like that area would be worth exploring for sure.

Presumably keeping those facilities there is still costing someone an awful lot of money......

Well, I'm sure someone (probably Sony) still owns all of the buildings and lifts, but I doubt they are actually putting any money into upkeep or maintenance for them..... I assume they would have just cut their losses after the resort closed and left it to rot.

Last I heard they were doing minimum maintenance on the base facilities, but the lifts couldn't be used now.

That info may be totally incorrect. It's one of those things where there's lots of stories and guesses, but not even the city talk about it.

I would guess that the lifts are now unusable. Just a few years without maintenance is enough to kill them. Curious as to what the city might have planned for it if they do indeed own it now.........

Arai is not listed here, so maybe it's not rotting much

http://www.hotelclub...ns-ghost-towns/

I know that the Aokiko Sun Alpina resort has only been closed for about 5 years, but that place has already been partially reclaimed by nature. It's amazing how fast stuff grows here and how quickly concrete falls victim to the elements.

• Like 1