• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know that the Aokiko Sun Alpina resort has only been closed for about 5 years, but that place has already been partially reclaimed by nature. It's amazing how fast stuff grows here and how quickly c

OK, well just give us a shout if you entounter problems. Basically you upload photos in that link I sent you. And then you can write your post, and embed the photos within that post. Look forward t

Thanks for reminding me METAL. Yes we still have those articles, I suppose they will make for interesting reading for those interested in the Arai story. Got some things we need to get done in the

In peak season it would be quite the hike from the very bottom on a splitboard or snowshoes..... Sled mission would be a win :thumbsup:

I don't know about these things and are extremely un-gnarly, Mt Granview aside, but if Arai was a 'death trap' when it was running.... wouldn't a hike up there mid winter for a play prove rather dangerous? Or is that just my ungnarliness writing?

;)

what does death trap when running mean?

i have fairly extensive backcountry experience, if you're worried about me.

its obviously more dangerous than riding piste but its got to be way less dangerous than anything in the hakuba backcountry.

what does death trap when running mean?

i have fairly extensive backcountry experience, if you're worried about me.

I'm extremely sorry for apparently somehow doubting your skills.

There were safety issues at Arai when it was open and patrolled. Sounds like you got it covered though.

isnt top to bottom vert a bit less than 1000m?

sounds like a cruisy day of skinning.

not a fan of sleds tbh.

looks like some really good terrain.

One possible issue - will the road be open? I don't know the answer, but that could be a big spanner in the works if its not.

So I would say around 1000m vert from base area to the top gondola station, maybe less. Then another 300m or so to the top of the best looking section, up and skiers right from the top gondola station. Yes, that whole section looks epic!

As to getting to the base area, the road up there would almost definitely not be cleared of snow by the city. I would say a mile or so to hike from the nearest open (snow cleared) road to the base area. Not too bad, but would add time to your eventual ascent.

You would have to have very little, or absolutely no backcountry experience to fall victim to the very obvious terrain trap that runs right down the middle of the old resort. If you know what you are doing, I can only imagine the fun that could be had there! The place gets hit so hard by every snowfall that rolls in across the Sea of Japan.

Still wouldn't really be too keen to hike all the way up there for just 1 or 2 runs though..... Lapping the s**t out of that top section with the aid of a sled would make for a day to remember :D

for me the skin up is just as enjoyable, if not more than riding down.

i think id spend at least 2 days here, squatting overnight in the abandoned buildings would be an amazing experience.

for me the skin up is just as enjoyable, if not more than riding down.

i think id spend at least 2 days here, squatting overnight in the abandoned buildings would be an amazing experience.

That would likely involve B and E. Don't forget the down sleeping bag and wool socks :omg:

• 1 month later...