I ran LAN connections to all rooms in the house because I don't trust the security of wifi.

(Can always add a wifi repeater later if I get over it.)

They all go connect to a single room, where the optical fiber for the phone comes in. NTT optical modem splits out the telephone and internet connections there, to be fed through out the house.

There is also coax for the TV in all rooms.

mate, your neighbours must be cussing at you for your mistrust in them.

Don't think so, they are all merrily broadcasting away with their own wifi routers. Not that I peek!

I don't know about other places but here don't all wifi thingymujiggs come with a great bit long code that you need to add to your computer to access?

No-ones going to guess that are they?

I must admit though, I would hate for anyone to gain access to all of my research, even just the work-in-progress stuff.

I don't know about other places but here don't all wifi thingymujiggs come with a great bit long code that you need to add to your computer to access?

No-ones going to guess that are they?

I must admit though, I would hate for anyone to gain access to all of my research, even just the work-in-progress stuff.

No. All the new ones now have a button that you just push and hold for a few seconds then the modem sends the pin number to the device automatically which is the security code that allows you to access the net.

No need to type antthing and also it is secure because even if others can pick up your wifi signal from outside they have no way to gain access without the pin.

Hmmm. The one I have has a code on the back. If I want to connect a new machine to it, I just need to enter the code. It's about 16 digits. There's no button to push.

Security is an issue, granted. But, the wiring is dated (almost out-dated by the time you can place it in a building) and there's no guarantee that there'll be continued improvement in the speeds of wired ethernet. Current max is gigabit/sec (but many wifi setups are approaching that speed now) and the copper will not be able to cope with much faster than that for a while yet.

Many wifi set ups are approaching that speed, but with 802.11n having a max speed of 300mb/s, and that is a big if, if you can reach it, getting 1Gb/s connection over wifi is not going to happen for a long while yet, due to the way the signal is not full duplex. If you do not have channel bonding set up, than the max speed you'll get is about 150mb/s and even then, that is wishful thinking. Most people do not know about channel bonding either.

Fibre might be the way of the future, but laying fibre throughout a new build "just on the off chance that it will work with future technology" is frought!

Yes, because when electricity first came about, people thought 'hang on, let's put some plugs in the house just on the off chance it will work'

Upgrading wifi is simply a matter of having the computer capability and upgrading the router/access point. When new technology is available, it is far simpler to upgrade wireless than wired - FACT!

And yet you still, most of the time, need a wired connection to securely access the router/access point. It's a fact? Really? Would like to see how it is easier than simply buying a new router/access point and putting a cable in. :confused:

I would go for a wired connection throughout the house, with one wifi access point on each floor. The wired connection can be placed in the plug socket housing, so you have the best of both worlds if need be.

Seeing as though the cost is very low, I think I'll have the LAN sockets in anyway in the main rooms.

Man, can you elaborate on this:

"I would go for a wired connection throughout the house, with one wifi access point on each floor."

How's that done?

You can just plug in a wifi router on one level, then use a range extender / repeater type thingie on the other levels Dumbstick. Very handy for your portable devices.

You can just plug in a wifi router on one level, then use a range extender / repeater type thingie on the other levels Dumbstick. Very handy for your portable devices.

hi, thanks.

you lose me at the 'range extender / repeater type thingie' bit. Is this something I add to my Time Capsule?

But by then, you'd be retired and not have to go to work! :p

and JA, I'll miss you.

Yeah ... we believe you! There are thousands who don't but WE will! ;)

OK it's just the thing connected to my hikari line and is effectively my wifi base......

a repeater is what it says. It'll repeat the signal and throw it further.

But you need not worry about such things. You're going LAN cabling right?

Any more questions?

Hmmm.

Why do Japanese people insist on referring to my car as 'my car'?

It's not theirs.

It's mine!

And, why don't they make cucumbers bigger.