Quiz time!

How many sockets do you have in your:

- living room + kitchen (total)

- main bedroom

?

And, ideally how many would you want?

In the process of requesting this now and am probably going overboard, but it's better than not enough.

No idea how much "extra" cost as yet but I presume not too much.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never enough so get 100!

;)

My kitchen has a measly 2 that are not used. The living room as 4. Bit of a joke really. Those extension things with multiple sockets added everywhere!

I have 12 in Living room + kitchen (6+6). 6 in the kitchen is a bit of a waste for me as the kitchen is so small (galley style) that to utilise 2 of them I'd have to have a table that would block the whole kitchen. Much rather have these 2 added to the 2 at the back of the Living room (next to the kitchen) where my table actually sits.

and 4 in bedroom.

Lounge/dining room has 4 doubles. Kitchen has 10 doubles.

Word to the wise - estimate what you want, and then double it! I could use another 3 in the Lounge and another couple (at least) in the kitchen.

Since we owner built, we are well aware of where the cables run, so are able, with a minimum of fuss, to add extras in if important.

Master bedroom (ours) has 4 doubles, and every other bedroom (there are 2 others) have 3 doubles each.

DO NOT use single points - they are a waste of time and effort!

Our house was built as a "beso" so it's REALLY lacking in an adequate # for anyone living full time. When we moved in it also only had 20 amp service....got that bumped up to 60 (I think) now.

If you'd doing from scratch, is there much of a difference in cost between a plate with 2 sockets and 4 sockets?

I would imagine not, but that's just a guess.

Having too many In bad locations is just as bad as having not enough. I prefer a power board hidden away in a tv cabinet over 25 sockets in the one location. You're better off having a LAN connection or something like that installed.

Having too many In bad locations is just as bad as having not enough.

Well, yes. I'm dictacting where all of ours go, so that is not an issue.

METAL. I am in the process of asking that myself. I'll let you know if I get a clear answer.

If you'd doing from scratch, is there much of a difference in cost between a plate with 2 sockets and 4 sockets?

I would imagine not, but that's just a guess.

Cheaper to put in 2 x double sockets than a 4 socket - a 4 way socket costs about 5 times what a double does - at least that is the case here in Australia - mainly because they are the most commonly used. There is almost no price difference between a single socket and a double either.

Only place we have a single is at the refrigerator - it's high on the wall and behind the fridge, so not really accessible for use for anything else.

We've got loads but it can be a question of where and its not always as simple as it may seem. You'll probably have lots of things to plug in near your tv and wherever you choose to recharge your gizmos.

If your tv is on a shelf unit thingy, you can always hide a power strip in or behind one of them. Its probably neater than five cables separately going into five sockets the wall, even if bundled together.

Same with the gizmos if they are on a sideboard or something. Drill a hole in the back and put a power strip inside.

We didn't put LAN cable in, but if we had, one next to the tv would have been enough. Wifi is very fast though, and you can convert any LAN connection to wifi with a 2000 yen mifi thingy. It has to be plugged in, but its cheaper than a cable and given a couple of years will be just as fast.

But how many is too many?! ;)

How many you gone for, for example, snowdude?

16 in our living/dining room, 8 in our living/office 10 in our kitchen

I put 8 sockets near the TV area as that is where we need the most.

And then others are double sockets around the room.

And a block of 4 and then doubles in the office/living space

Our TV location has a double socket, but the TV, DVD, sundry computer stuff all plug into a surge suppressed power board.

The office has a double for the panel heater, a double for the computer a double for the printer & scanner, a double for the phone & Modem, a double for the NAS and WiFi router, and a spare double "just in case"

With WiFi throughout the house, I have little need of data cabling, except for the office computer (which is wired to the router) and the press-room office computer which is also wired, all computers in the house are wireless. That'd be my 3 laptops, and smartphone, my partner's 2 laptops, iPod, tablet and notebook.

1 x Bank 4 (depends which builder some it's cheaper for 4 or 2 x 2) in each Appliance cupboard then 2 out on the bench in the kitchen 1 for the fridge and 1 for d/washer.

6 x Doubles in the Family/Dining.

Office is where you need more I have 6 but should have got 10 ( And I should know better I design houses for a living)

JA has got it sussed though