Invest?

In an attic somewhere in England, I have about 50 vinyl LPs dating 80-90s and a beltless turntable. I think it's junk, but if I can hook it up to a valve amp, it may look interesting.

That would be the full monty for me Gnarly. If I were to go back to vinyl then it would mean tube amp and hi end speakers. And that's a very expensive slippery slope. But ya, analog is king.

That would be the full monty for me Gnarly. If I were to go back to vinyl then it would mean tube amp and hi end speakers. And that's a very expensive slippery slope. But ya, analog is king.

I'm probably desensitised to this having grown up on CDs.... why?

back in the days of scraping a diamond stylus across bumps in grooves on a black plastic disc, there'd be background noises like bips, hiss, bump, screech etc. If you happen to bump the player while it was playing, you could have your record scratched. All very dainty.

Digital removed all that. Removed the accidental noises and danger of damage even if you happen to drop your disc.

I like CDs.

I'm probably desensitised to this having grown up on CDs.... why?

5242301294_50601d0dd3_z.jpg

See... this is probably the extent Winter Vacation's experience with analog audio equipment.... ;)

Ah...."why?" ....that IS the question. I know the answer but I can't explain it. It just is better. As a guitarist I only use analog tube amps with 60 year old technology because they sound infinitely better than any of the digital and modeling amps. Night and day better, actually. I think it comes down to the way we hear things and analog just jives with how we process the world around us....naturally.

If you listen to a cd played through a very high end tube amp and audiophile grade speakers it will sound really really f'ing good. But man, you listen to a record on a high end turntable through the same system you'll not only hear it....you'll feel it. Sounds hokey I know but it's true.

I say it's a slippery slope because when you get into it .... it can be a black hole to your credit card. There's a guy in my neighborhood here that has a set of old JBL speakers that must weigh 300 lbs each and they sit on special foot thick concrete slabs.. in his living room. The speakers alone are $15,000 each. The 5 foot speaker cables are $800 each. Amps, turntables...equally high end. Silly, I think.... but hey I just spent $2000 for new tires so who's sillier..? Big boy toys.

Some of my fave albums in recent years have been spoilt by unnecessary and annoying 'distortion' on the Cd mastering, but I hear the vinyl is much better. For that reason alone, I'm interested.

I really hate 'the loudness wars'.

:grandpa:

Vinyl sounds better if you're listening to anything produced with "real" instruments, don't know why, it just does. It seems to add life to the recording. I think it has to do with the mid to high treble sounds.

I think I should not think too much about this otherwise I'd be tempted. And thursday's photo should deffo be in spoilers!

erm, that is not thursday's picture, it's Chrizz's dream system. And it looks pretty mean too.

As both HDCD and SACD are on the decline, I would think not. I think last reported, each had about 4000 titles.

Not to despair, there's a fantastic medium the music buffs are using that will soon become mainstream. It sounds much better than CD and they know because they can say it sounds much better than CDs.