• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picture if you will a poor little fat kid getting his first intercity bus. Its a 5 1/2 hour journey so he brought snacks. He is fat, thats what fat people do. Now picture him walking up to the driver

Yes, I can vouch that Ippy is a real person and a very messy room-mate!  

Ippy doesn't have sex though. He finds it troublesome, or something.

Im assuming therell be some. But honestly, kinda hoping its all stuff for people who've never taught a class in their life. Im hoping if nothing else i get my grammar swerve on thugh mind you. That would be not only handy with the whole teaching thing, but also the oft dreamed about phd thing (just for quality writing skills rather than subject focus). :)

Mid to middling thirties.

Incidentally, been in cambodia less than two hours doing a visa run. Doing the whole agents at the border thing to save me the travel time, hassle and cost of going to Phnom Penh. Would like to have seen it, but i hate travel anyway.

And the reason i hate travel is because i clearly dont belong on this planet. Im the easiest target of any scammers out there. Been here less than a 10km motorbike taxi ride before i got scammed.

Scam 1. I get on bike with person A. Person A gets me to climb on board, we ride a bit, he asks for the payment up front (100 baht). We stop for a while, they sort out whose taking my passport to phnom penh for the visa run, then his brother gets on the bike ("he'll take you there instead") and off we roll. Arrive in town, get off, get asked for payment again because i shouldnt have paid the other guy. "He didnt take me here".

Scam 2 (just prior to scam 1). Money exchange. I knew this one was coming so only exchanged 500 baht, which was the biggest smallest note i had. They were trying to get me to exchange more because "theres no bank in town, this only place!" No rates. No nothing. Give 500 baht, get 45,000 riel.

Pay toll fee for bridge to my driver and then scam 1 initiates. Voila. Scunnered. Popped to one of the two banks in town to ask them the actual exchange rate:

500 baht = 69,000 riel.

There we go. Only lost about 200 baht, but been here less than a couple of hours and ripped off twice by the cambodian mafia. (i assume, since they seem to have a very tight operation up at the old border post. Had to go through a second checkpoint, the dude handed me my passport back in front of them to go through the checkpoint, so i gave it back to him in front of them. The police looked at me fully aware of what was going on but clearly wondering why i was so clueless to do it in front of their face. Nevertheless on we went. So the point of the checkpoint would be...??? Passport was then handed on to a waiting car full of people for a run to Phnom Penh, christ knows whats gonna happen to it. :))

So thats me here in cambodia for the next three days. Wish me luck. Ill be travelling the hills and oceans of azeroth until its over. :{

Woohoo! small victory! paid for my hotel in USD. Clerk gave me choice of 15USD or 500 baht. Chose the USD and made a cool 34 baht per night. At 3 nights thats me 100 baht back in the game!

Had some freaky and weird moments in Cambodia when I was there for two weeks back in 2001...I think it was.. Once was enough for me.

Edit... be safe Ippy.

needs must. Needed the 60 day visa. Had three days off to do it. I Could have taken the bus up to Laos, but bus plus visa plus laos visa was looking like around 6000 baht PLUS 5 hour bus onto an overnight bus along a bumpy road into a day hanging around laos into a late afternoon bus ride back to bangkok into another night in bkk (bus returns around midnight) into a 5 hour bus ride back home.

This way its 3000 baht for someone else to do it and i get the passport back with the 60 day visa on saturday. And only have to travel an hour and a half each way.

On the other hand i could have gone to phnom penh myself and done it, but that would have meant another eight or so hours travel. A small fortune on a bus. Figuring all kinds of shit out when i got there. Having to bribe the guard at the thai consulate on Thursday to see if he could get it done faster than the official 4 working day turnover. And even assuming the bribe pays off, probably having to sit until Monday because the fastest turnaround is probably 2 business days. So getting stuck in phnom penh for an extra 3 days, before coming back home (8 or so hours plus connections).

Risky, i know. But honestly this was the most realistic and oddly the cheapest way i could get it done. Id done research and a few people that went before me said no hiccups. Check back in again on Saturday evening though to see if it all went to hell or not? :)

Day two in Azeroth. My panda is now level 14. I can't do battlegrounds though with a latency of 1000ms. Guess it's just grind grind through the zones.

Aye, the grass is green on this side of the fence.

That being said, met a super drunk Aussie last night who kept kissing me and telling me I was "a dirty gay Scottish ****!" Despite my protestations to the contrary, he was having none of it. Took a while to wriggle free from that escapade without a diplomatic row ensuing. Nice guy, would have ****ed me there in the street if he could have :)

Having met aussies, i dont disbelieve you. For the first two minutes i couldnt understand a word he said. It wasnt uintil i started speaking in my english teacher voice that he replied "**** off! im aussie mate!" that i realised the situation. Whilst living abroad ive learned two new things about aussies (well three if you include the word bogan). First, you have snow. And second, you can actually be gay and australian (though you must hide it nevertheless behind accusations that the person youre talking to is gay, and insinuate that well, as a favor to me and not because youre actually gay, (but probably very high) youll suck my cock". Internationalization is such a wonderful thing!

an hour and a half behind schedule, but the passport was returned with its brand new visa stamp, in one piece. No more visa runs (touch wood).