a friend of mines had just finished the race when the bomb went off.....thankfully he is ok.

Disgraceful act of terrorism.....is there any news on who's responsible?

Not heard any claims of responsibility as yet. Doubtless there will be some, and they may well not be related to the real perps.

With all that has happened in the states in the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if it was another fellow American that did this. That said, I'm not counting out 'terrorist' either, but not pointing fingers at anyone.

What urks me the most, is that if it is an American, he has the right to claim 'insanity'. And they probably will.

I have no idea what is happening to my country, but I suggest it pull head from ass and get it together.

looking at the blast footage, although it did produce a big fireball and many people were hurt and some killed, it seemed that it was very localised and that the explosive wasn't a strong one....you'd assume a larger explosive to be used by a sophisticated terrorist group IMO. In such a crowded area, I'd expected a lot more deaths TBH. Horrible, horrible people for doing such a thing, you wonder what the f##k goes thru peoples head at times

Fwiw, this sounds like its taken its design from an anti-personnel mine. Something that fires lots of shards of metal over a wide area to injure as many as possible.

From what I remember, the campaign to ban this kind of mine never succeeded.

The Convention (The Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction) was signed 15 years ago, and some 161 countries are "parties" to the convention. From the website of the Convention ...

1 March 2013

Fourteenth anniversary of the entry into force of the Convention.

and

3-4 December 2013

Sixteenth anniversary of the signing of the Convention.

Army size has little to do with it, though! The Convention site lists the following countries as not having ratified the convention, and not having signed it. (the 2 are somewhat different, in law). Marshall Islands have signed but not ratified.

Some wakko countries in there (North Korea, for one, stands out!) and the fact that they have not determined to stop using AP mines is a bloody disgrace!

To date the following States have not formally agreed to be bound by the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti‐Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction.

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Bahrain

China

Cuba

Egypt

Georgia

India

Iran

Israel

Kazakhstan

Korea, DPR of