You'll find many of them (esp at smaller local resorts) are farmers doing their winter job. Pretty hopeless most of the time.

Good at brushing chairs and bottoms occasionally though.

And I'm sure they're very up-to-date on the latest geino-kai news.

tell me - what would you like them to do - become like a petrol station attendant and guide you to the take off area and shout greetings and good byes for the sake of being heard by their boss so they dont get in trouble. as long as the lift is going i'm happy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
[QB]What else are lifties supposed to do?

[QB]
try the occasional bit of ramp maintainance so there isnt a rutted ice track for an entrance...
or actually "bumping" the chairs, holding it to take the initial "heat" of the chair instead of whacking into you calves if you dont bump it youself, they do it in others countries.....
And the number one thing.......GROUPING people!!!!on busy days so the chairs are going up loaded and people get more snow time in....

I was once a liftie at a major resort and god help me if had been caught sitting the shack with my feet up. My buddy was once working the top station of a quad and was relaxing in the shack when the CEO of the entire resort came up the chair on his day off and saw him chillin' in the lift shack.....he got a serious lambasting to say the least.
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the lifties in Japan are quite comedic. I love the way they hold out the stop hand if you pull up to a lift when a group is already getting on, just in case you had the urge to jump on a full chair or in case you couldn't tell no chair had gotten to them yet. I also chuckle every time a lifty makes the extra effort to clean the last microscopic bit of snow off a snow free chair before it gets to you like that one flake will soak right through.

There is a chair at Nozawa that everytime I ride I see at least one staff member eating in the little hut. Everytime, without fail.

The best was actually back at home at Baker where a lifty at the top of the chair (how important is that job?) was sitting in the tiny hut with his feet stretched out the window strummin on a guitar.

As for cute lifties, go to 47. I think they have the monopoly on them.

***ahh, post number 420!***

the lifties here do certain things far and beyond the responsibilities of other lifties around the world...

have you ever seen a liftie here hiking under the lift in waist deep powder to fetch a pole or glove that some idiot dropped?? I have, numerous times...I couldn't believe it! That's what I call service!

but yah...that's about it...otherwise they are useless...unless they are kawaii, then I don't really care what they are doing...

danz

At Nozawa on Friday when it was snowing like hell all day, I watched an old liftie dilligently brushing off the chair before mine, even though nobody was getting on it. 4 good wipes he gave it.

They have some nice grils working the gondolas at Nozzle. Now if only they would get in with yous...

Quote:
At Nozawa on Friday when it was snowing like hell all day, I watched an old liftie dilligently brushing off the chair before mine, even though nobody was getting on it. 4 good wipes he gave it.
That's funny. I've seen it often myself.

does anyone else get really irritated by the end of the day with all the "bing bong" noises etc and flashing lights telling you when to shuffle forward onto the lift. And even then the liftie has his arm out telling you to stop? Jeeezz it bugs the hell outta me sometimes. mad.gif

Mind you I get irritated with the guys shaking their red flag at you at roadworks. Maybe I was a bull in a previous life...

No Zwelgen, I am really happy that there are so many audible warnings everywhere. It just goes to show people are looking out for me. I especially like the "it's time to get off the lift now" one you get every ten seconds all day long.

Such messages have no effect on my mental health whatsoever.

And now, back to my writing....

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

Surely an essential part of a lifties job is to load up the quad seats when there is a big queue. They shouldn't allow people to **** about like they do which results in empty seats taking no-one anywhere.