My last Canon just gave me the error code that basically means the machine is F'ed. I doubt if I had any more than a few hundred copies run off of it. I paid a fair bit for that one.

Well, last week I went and bought a cheap (7000 yen ) Canon and had an interesting little chat with the sales guy. First, I asked, how can it be possible that this entire printer is only 1500 yen more expensive than a set of replacement cartridges?....That's what JA was getting at in his post...... And second, are those pictures that they have posted above the printers actually taken with those printers? I had to call BS on that one.

For a laser printer I went for BROTHER HL2130 Mono Laser Printer. I paid about $100. I see it's now about half that price. I've had it more than 2 years and only replaced the toner once. http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XP9213/brother-hl2130-mono-laser-printer?CAWELAID=859329597&kw={keyword}&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMXwj52AlbcCFU0ipQodQnwAeg

My last Canon just gave me the error code that basically means the machine is F'ed. I doubt if I had any more than a few hundred copies run off of it. I paid a fair bit for that one.

Well, last week I went and bought a cheap (7000 yen ) Canon and had an interesting little chat with the sales guy. First, I asked, how can it be possible that this entire printer is only 1500 yen more expensive than a set of replacement cartridges?....That's what JA was getting at in his post...... And second, are those pictures that they have posted above the printers actually taken with those printers? I had to call BS on that one.

I know, i bought a new printer not so long ago as my other canon printer of 6 years or so died on me.

The printer its self was 25,000 or 30,000 yen, I forgot, and a set of XL cartridges costs near on 7000 yen, I have already been through 2 sets, just 2 more sets and I would have paid as much for the ink as the bloody printer. Ink sure is a rip off.

I used to use the refill ink bottles with a syringe back in the UK to fill cartridges was way cheaper, but they don't seem to have them in Japan or at least not in Yamada or Kojima.

That is the way to go though.

As for the photos you see in the shop, yes the printers do print that well as long as the photo is high enough quality in the first place and you use high grade photo paper.

The photos I print out are equally as good as what are displayed in the shops.

My A3 printer prints as good as the samples in the shop. It's a Canon Pro 9000. You just have to let "printer manage colours" and print out of Lightroom. With other settings or programs, the colours are too red. Its a common online moan, so I don't think my lack of a calibrated monitor is the problem.

I use the cheaper pro paper from Fujifilm and its really good. So good that I can't imagine the double or more price paper from Canon being significantly better.

I won't tempt fate by saying anything about longevity.

And the problem with printers if that once they die on you, you really need to get out there and get another quick.

Well, if you do much printing anyway.

Bastardos, the whole lot of 'em.

Snowdude,

my issue with the pictures in the store aren't so much about the resolution (is that even an issue any more??) but colour matching. I can never get the colours close to what they should be and I've done a lot of experimenting with settings. Photoshop, Illustrator, iPhoto, Aperture, .. doesn't seem to matter what I use. I've had this issue with the last two Canon printers but dummy me....bought another Canon.. We'll see how this one is.

Chris,

It is more a problem of colour matching between monitor and printer. The printer will ONLY print what it is told to, and the computer must be calibrated to the printer.

I have just used a "Spyder" to calibrate the monitor on the laptop, and it changed the display significantly. The model I used is only able to calibrate a single monitor on one display card. They do have a model that will do multiple monitors and also printers. If, as I do, you print photographs for entry into photographic competitions, the printer calibration unit (called a colorimeter) would be worth it.

The printer manufacturers do claim (not sure how they could prove it!) that their paper is "calibrated" to their printer, and so produces a better result. Not certain that I believe them but ...

Ya JA,

I should look into some sort of calibration I guess. I don't print photographs for competition but I do have to print off fairly nice photos and brochures of my pens to enter pen shows. I've always had these colour matching issues and I suspected it was something with the printer not jiving with my Macs. My wife bought a PC laptop a while back but I haven't had a chance to see if my theory is accurate. I've been contemplating just taking the photos and layouts to a professional and have them done right. All the color matching BS really frustrates me and I get pretty worked up over it. My wife could really do without my stomping around, swearing and kicking the cat, too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I bought a new laser printer, the Canon MF8380Cdw.

It's not the cheapest, but I got a very good deal on it, and I did that on purpose as I want it to last.

Hopefully I won't be :doh: in the near future.

Lets see how it does, setting it up today.

It was easy to set up.

I now have 3 computers connected by wifi ready to print out using it and it's working good.

Very nice printed pages too.

Happy so far.

Now if I treat it good, hopefully it will last a long time.

Got to say the printing coming out of this is just so much better than the quality of ink jets I have had before.

Really nice, glad I got it.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update this.

Anyone else going through inkjet hell.... I highly recommend splashing out on a laser printer. I'm loving this one. Beautiful printouts too.

:thumbsup: