• SnowJapan Admin

ganbarimashita! :clap:

A couple of questions, with apologies if the answers are elsewhere, but do you want us to start using the new site/stop using the old (this) one from now on, and do you want us to report any problems to you??

Cheers guys (and Bob)! :thumbsup:

Hi Mick

Sorry I missed this.

Do you mean for photos and reviews? That's the only "overlap" really.

I've learnt not to suggest too much what people do, because lots mostly do just what they want to do really, ne.

And... I'm tired!

But basically let's put it like this.

The main site gets considerably more traffic than the Forums and I feel that will increase with the main site going to get a lot of coverage and further increase in traffic.

A 'Resort Review' on the main site and a photo on the main site will be seen by many more people than one that quickly gets buried deep on the Forums.

And of course within the main site, as you can see, Reviews and Photos are all tied up to resorts and it's easy to find a resort and it's photos and it's reviews etc.

So when people come on SnowJapan to read up on ski resorts, they are what they mostly see.... not trip reports on the Forums.

You're very welcome to post a review on both the forums here and as an official Resort Review as well. You can copy and paste even if you like, though with the new Resort Reviews you can give rankings and specific recommendations as well.....

As for problems? It's probably best to wait a bit until things have settled down to start sending those in.

We are going to get to that stage and then take a bit of a rest from all of this.

Once some recharging has been done we'll be adjusting more things and then getting started on adding some new features we have planned.

You can send things in though, I'm just saying that unless it's something major it may well have to wait a bit.

Updates on issues:

http://www.snowjapan...ssues-updating/

Thanks.

:friend:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

- tons of new data for each place - love the way you show how far nearby resorts/hotels are. (Thinking how you actually got that info - can only think manually doing it?!)

That was done manually for each resort (way back last summer).

Actually, was quite fun in a way but it took a very long time doing that for 500+ skijo.

• SnowJapan Admin

Bob has been up 18+ hours working on new 'data access mechanism' coding or something to try and catch the bug that we have been experiencing at times on loading.

Just uploaded a short time ago.

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-general-information/about

Keen to hear if people are loading the above page ok or not? Hopefully the new code will have improved stability.

In the meantime we will soon get todays Now reports up. Sorry for the disruption - all part of the 'fun' of launching a 100% new complex site over an old live one!

Thanks

Fine here too.

Until now it seemed to be a bit on and off when I looked. Just tested lots of pages and they all appeared ok.

Hope that fixes the issue for you, it can't be any fun chasing initial bugs especially when you want to sit back!

• SnowJapan Admin

Good to hear, it does seems better from our testing too. (Provisional 'phew!").

That was the biggest priority and will be keeping our eye on that. Keen to hear from other people too.

In the meantime we will soon get todays Now reports up. Sorry for the disruption - all part of the 'fun' of launching a 100% new complex site over an old live one!

Thanks

Unfortunately seems we can't post the Now reports for some reason and going to have to wait on Bob to fix that up. Reports will appear -- just late.

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes good point @tokyo. The Now reports are actually posted on the SnowJapan apps as they still use the old system.

The new site is a new admin and so basically for the rest of the season we are 'double posting' the reports on old and new. Just can't post to the new site right at this moment until that gets fixed up. We'll do that as soon as possible.

All very complicated! :party:

All adds fun to an otherwise boring day hey? ;)

Well done on the new website, it looks fantastic. And I notice a lot more information on there. Design and programming aside, just that in itself must have taken such a very long time.

This site us such a very unique 'gem', people are lucky you guys exist and pour your energies into what you do, the way you do.

:thumbsup:

Top tips: Use Firefox or Chrome over IE to take full advantage of some of the html5 used, nice coloured boxes etc. IE can't display them, silly thing it is.

Well done on the new website, it looks fantastic. And I notice a lot more information on there. Design and programming aside, just that in itself must have taken such a very long time.

Yes, lots of new goodies tucked away here and there.

Are we going to get an answer to which mountains are represented at the bottom?

• SnowJapan Admin

:)

Well..... Yotei, Bandai and Tanigawa are in there so they have been identified.

Any ideas on the others?

It's so long ago now that we did the design, I'll have to look it up myself!

I had a problem yesterday but it is all working good for me now.

Need to investiage more but excellent first impressions.

Otsukaresama deshita!

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm not quite sure Bag. But my colleague has been working round the clock, as they say, to fix that up and touch wood the site seems to be generally stable now. We are continuing to test everything and adjust, and there are a few more issues that we need to get sorted before we can think of taking things a bit easier!

There were always very probably going to be some technical issues when we launched this - it's inevitable with such a big change. With complex coding like this, some things only show themselves when an application is live in production, no matter how hard you check things in test environments. And we have been testing and refining for many weeks now. We weren't expecting that loading issue, I must say. The server is plenty powerful, apparently it was more a coding hiccup that too easily bottlenecked when there were too many connections.

Obviously it's frustrating to have such big issues when you launch something and when everyone is looking, but there's no panic.

We just have to take the things one by one - bigger ones first - and calmly try to get everything to normal as quickly as possible.

:friend:

• SnowJapan Admin

Oh yes, Mt Granview IS in the bottom graphics, you just can't see it. There's actually about 20 images in there before flattening it out... we wanted their 'soul' to be in it, even if you can't see them. ;)