• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this new defence law thing really mean?

If you figure it out, let us know!

Abe tells us that it is so the Jieitai can defend American ships that are carrying Japanese evacuees from war zones. (The US, on the other hand, says "we don't consider it our duty to rescue Japanese nationals from war zones," according to the newspaper this morning.)

Realistically, I think this is the start of a long, slow process of Japan starting to act more like a normal country militarily, and not simply like a protectorate of the US. Which I actually think is a good idea in principle, though the implementation is obviously a fraught process...

What I hope it does not mean, though, is that Japan will get sucked into all the wars of adventure that the US seems to like to get itself into lately. Abe assures us that such is not the case. For whatever that is worth.

What I hope it does not mean, though, is that Japan will get sucked into all the wars of adventure that the US seems to like to get itself into lately. Abe assures us that such is not the case. For whatever that is worth.

This is exactly what will happen, I reckon and exactly why it was done

Coz wars are fun?

I don't know. My guess is that $ is involved somehow.

Exactly! The conservative right that dominate 1st world politics all have their greedy little fingers in corporations that make vast amounts of money from shooting, bombing and invading foreign nations....Japan's conservative right want in on the act

Surely you're not saying that's the case in Japan too!

:veryshocked:

If it is, I think we owe it to Shinzo to jolly well tell him and let him know about it.

We've just applied for our Shinzo money. You get 10,000 a kid to make up for the tax increase, so 30,000 for us.

I shall be raising a glass to the big man. Arigatou!

Do pets count?

:grandpa:

If they do, I'm going 180 degrees on my daughter getting a hamster.

The only condition is that she names it "Special Patrol Group".

• 1 month later...

I particularly like the way all the media cameras give us sweeping body length shots, feet to head, of the ladies. And commentary about the colour of their dresses.

Don't need that with the blokes!

Great decision to bin one lady who was involved with sorting out the N.Korea abductions NOT, only to replace her with someone else who has had no involvement in it.

Most have maintained there same posts, so a kind of half cabinet re-shuffle I say.

A couple of new positions, one to do I think it was in charge of getting Fukushima cleaned up, if I remember correctly and a newely invented position.

Basically not much improvement on before the re shuffle.

I dont expect much to get done as usual so no surprise really.

I particularly like the way all the media cameras give us sweeping body length shots, feet to head, of the ladies. And commentary about the colour of their dresses.

Don't need that with the blokes!

Yeah how come we don't get a fashion run down on all the sexy blokes in Abe's gang!!

:grandpa:

A couple of new positions, one to do I think it was in charge of getting Fukushima cleaned up, if I remember correctly and a newely invented position.

Let's create a new position for a woman!

I know, cleaning up!

:grandpa: :grandpa: :grandpa: :grandpa: :grandpa: