• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed one thing on my visit to the pineapple park. The 9 coach loads of high school kids hightailed it to the pineapple cake tasting area and every one of them bought some for their mothers.

I was at the pineapple wine tasting area and I just kept asking for refills. Pineapple wine tastes shite.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my health insurance payment slips today from the town.

My salary has not changed for a number of years. But this goes up every year, this year an additional 20,000 yen overall.

hurray!!

I got my city tax and was dreading it as I'd heard that with all the snow clearing and subsequent road repairs etc that city tax was really high.....I'd been told some scary numbers.....but it was only 10k more than my Shonan one.....happy days :D

All relative isn't it, perhaps it is high for Hokkaido. Bet where you were before was fairly exp.

Always good for things like that to be less than you dreaded though!

Good for you.

Sadly, mine was up. Both the town tax thing and the health insurance. Oh yes and consumption tax etc etc.

For the record, my salary hasn't increased either. So it all means that I'm poorer.

Mines was up too....just not as much as I was fearing....I still came in under 10 man.

My salary has actually went down though since moving here, despite working for the same cruddy company

Hmm....not really....things are a little cheaper....beer, vegetables etc BUT we have to use propane instead of natural gas and it's much more expensive, rent is cheaper than where we were before but salaries are lower....so I guess everything kind of balances up to be the same

Will try

5b15176e.jpg

In other news which deserves a heartful hurray!

Consumer prices in Japan rose at an annual rate of 3.4% in May, the fastest pace in 32 years, as the effect of the sales tax hike started to be felt.

Japan raised its sales tax rate from 5% to 8% on 1 April.

The price growth in May follows a 3.2% jump in April and is a big boost for Japan's attempt to trigger inflation.

The best leader ever?!

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy-policy/2014/06/25/and-award-for-best-global-leader-goes-to-abe/?intcmp=obnetwork

Not so for Abe’s ruling Liberal Democratic Party, on the rise and now, taking names. Much of that owes to Abe himself. He’s sharp. He’s smart. He’s direct. And, he’s funny. He once zinged a reporter who claimed he was acting too much like a rock star by saying, “Do I look like a rock star to you? If so, please alert my family.”

And Abe is quick, very quick – quick to address economic troubles and getting quick at addressing political scandals that routinely engulfed his many predecessors. The latest proof – Abe’s apology for sexist taunts shouted by a party member at a Tokyo assemblywoman. The offending party member has since resigned, and the offended assemblywoman has since accepted Abe’s apology.