• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 7%. Not really moanworthy, but a bit surprising, as my understanding was that they would generally go down over time, as depreciation kicked in.

Apparently not.

Or not any more.

I was thinking about this on the toilet this morning.

Surely as we are all very much appreciating Abenomics, not the other way round, they should be going up.

Second hand houses might actually be going up a little in value, or at least not going down as fast, because there is no consumption tax when you buy one.

With the tax, a house built new next year will cost 5% more than one completed in March this year.

How much is property tax anyway here?

Say on a house that cost 30 million yen? Or does it not work like that?

My guess would be somewhere around 10 man a year. The local government will do its own valuation, so it doesn't matter how much the house actually cost. Its how much the inspectors judge it to have cost.

With the tax, a house built new next year will cost 5% more than one completed in March this year.

All the more reason to jolly well wait until next year to start a build!

:party:

I see, car tax goes up 10% once a car hits the age of 13.

Kind of like a Bar Mitzvah present or something, I guess.

I never knew that. What a joke. A thirteen year old Prius (the saloon model) will still produce way less emissions than a new regular car of the same size.

There have been noises for a while about making the car tax related to CO2 emissions, but it never seems to happen. I reckon its because of pressure from the kei car makers, the big beneficiaries of the present system.

In more detail, gasoline and LPG powered cars get a 10% tax increase after 13 years.

Diesels after 11 years.

There is no increase with age for hybrids, all-electrics, natural-gas vehicles, buses, and certain towed-type construction and farm equipment.

Also, for this year only:

--Low-emissions vehicles get a 25% reduction.

--Super-low-emissions vehicles, plus electrics, plug-in hybrids and certain natural-gas vehicles, get a 50% reduction.

My car tax went down by 12,000¥ this year. Is it because it's new?

If your new car is an eco car it will be cheaper.

My Delica is much bigger, heavier and has a bigger engine than the escudor I had before it but the tax is cheaper and especially the first year a new car if it comes under eco class will be very cheap.

It will go up the second year though.