• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically sod all. He's going to get credit (or otherwise) for the economy from now whatever happens. Bloody annoying who thought that one up first? Incredlble how quickly things like that get latched on here.

I was curious what wiki would say:

Abenomics (a portmanteau of Abe and economics) refers to the economic policies advocated by Shinzō Abe, the current Prime Minister of Japan.

Abenomics consists of monetary policy, fiscal policy, and economic growth strategies to encourage private investment. The detailed policies includes inflation targeting at a 2% annual rate, correction of the excessive yen appreciation, setting negative interest rates, radical quantitative easing, expansion of public investment, buying operations of construction bonds by Bank of Japan (BOJ), and revision of the Bank of Japan Act.

Fiscal spending will increase by 2% of GDP, likely raising the deficit to 11.5% of GDP for 2013.

Next trip to Japan in July. Hold on 'til then, I'm bringing the stimulus package.
:lol:

Look out at the border WV!!

You can get arrested bringing that stuff across international borders ;)

I heard you need to "declare" if you bring over 1 million yen in. What's the point of this declaring of it? I don't get it.

I will be spending anything from 155 to 195 Yen on each visit to the 7-11.

I will be using my Suica to ease the store's cash management burdens. The Suica fee will no doubt spread the wealth to JR East who inturn will spend it on fastereer bullet trains.

• 3 weeks later...

Fed up of this word.

What gets me is --- with prices going up, and incomes not going up, why are we being told that people are spending more and feeling good about things because of 'Abenomics'.

Can someone explain that?

I reckon it's Japan trying to talk itself into a recovery.

Also I think people are bringing forward bigger purchases perhaps before the consumption tax goes up next spring. Makes sense buying now than later when things are more expensive AND the tax rate is higher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Japan's consumer prices fell by 0.4% year-on-year in April, the sixth straight month of declines.

The world's third largest economy has experienced years of deflation, and its central bank currently has a 2% inflation target.

The core consumer price index figure, which includes oil products but excludes volatile prices of fresh food, followed a 0.5% drop in March.

And the jobless rate stayed at 4.1% in April, the lowest since November 2008.

On inflation, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe aims to pull Japan out of 15 years of deflation with active government spending.

He argues his move will ignite the economy and eventually lead to higher pay for workers.

The Bank of Japan governor Haruhiko Kuroda has pledged to achieve a 2% inflation target in two years.

Thought it was supposed to be going up?_

• 2 weeks later...

It appears McDonalds is doing there bit for Abenomics, the price of a small milkshake has gone from 100yen to 120yen. First item of any kind I know to rise in price in the two years I been here.

Well, with things starting to get more expensive (other than the evergreen mayonnaise price rises) and my salary sticking put, I sure can feel the goodness of Abenomics.

Which is, of course, bloody ace.

And will save Japan. And the world.

:party:

It appears McDonalds is doing there bit for Abenomics, the price of a small milkshake has gone from 100yen to 120yen. First item of any kind I know to rise in price in the two years I been here.

Wait a minute, I thought inflation was supposed to be 2% a year, not 20%.