I’d visited Tsugaike last season albeit only for a morning, but had liked what I had seen so was looking forward to a return visit, aided by the free lift ticket I’d received from those kind people at SJ so a big thanks to them and Hakuba Alpen Resorts.

As previously, I took the free shuttle bus from Happo Information Centre (which goes via Hakuba Iwatake) and was soon heading up the Central Triple Chair Lift. The sun was out, as was the helicopter that runs heli-skiing tours at Tsugaike. I’m not sure how the snow would have been higher up but it was definitely Spring conditions lower down. I was on beginner-teaching duty so spent the morning lapping the Karamatsu and Oya-no-hara slopes before a lunch stop at the yellow pizza/curry restaurant on the side of the piste. Here are a few photos, including some Stilton action for you cheese at resorts fans:-

gallery_10495_293_867218.jpg

gallery_10495_293_779211.jpg

gallery_10495_293_44016.jpg

gallery_10495_293_332963.jpg

gallery_10495_293_1918776.jpg

gallery_10495_293_1507949.jpg

I then met up with fellow-SJer Chris(elle) and headed up the gondola for a quick sortie of the top runs. On my last visit to Tsugaike the top of the resort had been shrouded in cloud so it was good to finally see it and imagine what the heli-skiing operation runs are like.

gallery_10495_293_590292.jpg

As we surveyed the scene Chris thought that a large pylon-like structure looked like it could be for a ropeway, which I quickly dismissed but then, sure enough, we saw this...

gallery_10495_293_1730089.jpg

Clearly further investigation was required so we made our way over to the ropeway station to be told that it starts running from the beginning of March and costs an additional 700Yen to ride. Sadly it had just closed for the day but is now definitely on next season’s hit-list.

gallery_10495_293_1354648.jpg

gallery_10495_293_943949.jpg

We then did a top-to-bottom run but by now the slopes had become treacle-like so we called it a day. Once again I had enjoyed Tsugaike and the discovery of that top ropeway means I will definitely be returning! Thanks again to SnowJapan and Hakuba Alpen Resorts for my ticket.

Love the board though, it looks way sexy.

Yeah, am very happy with it. That reminds me, I must do a review, especially since you gave me a handy template to follow! :thumbsup:

Perhaps I needed someone to show me the good parts.

Or take that ropeway! :D

Cheers Mick,

Great report. As we discussed .. that tram is high on the list for next years activities so hopefully next March will be cooler than this year's was.

Cheers Mick, Great report. As we discussed .. that tram is high on the list for next years activities so hopefully next March will be cooler than this year's was.

See you there!

incidentally, you still got your machete? If not, do you miss it any?

Yeah, still got it, though didn't ride it at all this season as I wanted to get to grips with the Khyber. I did miss it on the groomers but not in the pow, where the Khyber rocks! Full review to follow.