Last season I made two March trips to Goryu and was lucky enough to score powder days both times. On this occasion I was not so lucky but still had a good time at what is becoming one of my favourite resorts. First off, thanks to SJ and Hakuba Goryu/47 resorts for the free ticket – very much appreciated!

This trip I was on beginner-teaching duty, so the majority of my time was spent on the lower slopes in the Toomi Zone above Base Center Escal Plaza. The first day was a bluebird and although slushy with the warmer temperatures, the pistes weren't overly busy, so we had plenty of room to play in. I also had a delicious lunch at Dondontei in Escal Plaza. Here are a few photos from Day 1:-

gallery_10495_292_1221375.jpg

gallery_10495_292_1078012.jpg

gallery_10495_292_1318819.jpg

gallery_10495_292_351705.jpg

gallery_10495_292_889236.jpg

gallery_10495_292_1046388.jpg

gallery_10495_292_1180940.jpg

After a relaxing onsen, I had a lovely dinner at Pizzakaya - does this classify as cheese at resorts?!?

gallery_10495_292_1678613.jpg

Day 2 was much colder, with some fresh snowfall covering the now harder lower slopes. I had a quick, early-morning run up the gondola and the double lifts to the top of the resort. Sadly there was almost zero visibility up there, so I couldn’t make the most of the new snow, of which there was quite a bit, especially in the trees.

gallery_10495_292_537519.jpg

gallery_10495_292_852206.jpg

gallery_10495_292_1838508.jpg

I therefore headed back down through the clouds to the base, which seemed busier than the previous day so, back on beginner duty, we headed over to the mellower but much quieter Merry Land course. By now the sun was warming things up nicely.

gallery_10495_292_792268.jpg

gallery_10495_292_601709.jpg

With an afternoon bus back to Tokyo, we had lunch in the Japanese restaurant in the Michi-no-eki souvenir shop down on the main road (route 148) near the Goryu intersection. Recommended!

gallery_10495_292_492585.jpg

Although it was a completely different type of trip than before, I once again enjoyed my time at Goryu. As previously, I stayed at K's House Hakuba Alps which I would highly recommend for its location (5 minutes' walk to the slopes and some good restaurants), friendly, English-speaking staff (Toshi, Megumi and Masa), decent facilities and reasonable prices, including discounted lift passes and onsen tickets. A big thumbs up all round!

Aside from the absence of a foot of lovely, fresh pow, my only disappointment on the trip was that Kiku Cafe, the cool little place that I used to go to opposite Escal Plaza is now a burger joint. I didn’t get the opportunity to try it out so maybe next time, of which I anticipate there will be many. Thanks again to SnowJapan and Hakuba Goryu/47 for the ticket.

Nice one! When I go to Hakuba I usually stay at Ks house in Goryu too (usually 2-3 times a season), even though I rarely board at Goryu. Down at the Goryu intersection there is a small restaurant called Gu. If you ever have the chance I really recommend that place. They do steaks and they are cheap and big. Also, they reopened the onsen at that intersection as well. Nice big place!

We should meet up there some time!

Nice one! When I go to Hakuba I usually stay at Ks house in Goryu too (usually 2-3 times a season), even though I rarely board at Goryu. Down at the Goryu intersection there is a small restaurant called Gu. If you ever have the chance I really recommend that place. They do steaks and they are cheap and big. Also, they reopened the onsen at that intersection as well. Nice big place!

We should meet up there some time!

Yeah, definitely. :thumbsup: I keep meaning to go to Gu but missed out this time. I did make it to the onsen though. :D