Recently I've taken to listening to music at home with headphones.

They're pretty decent ones.

Decent CD player as well.

Sounds bloody ace.

I have re-discovered so much of my music collection, seems I was missing tons of detail up until now.

:doh:

Highly recommended.

I too listen to music and movies with headphones, it just sounds so good, with all the full sounds.

I got my self a nice set of Sony inner earphones that I use for my smart phone and a set of Audio-Technica headphones for my computer.

I sometimes use my speaker system, which has no name to it as I designed and built the amp, sub-woofer box and tweeter stands all from pine wood myself, which sounds lush actually, but I get complaints from my wife its too loud, blah, blah, blah....so headphones are the way to go.

I got some Grado ones that I'd recommend for sound but not for durability.

Its a pity because the sound on them is wicked.They're the first open ones I've ever used and I think I'll get that type again.

Got some good Sennheiser ones myself.

I have the HD558 for home usage. Silky tones pouring liquid aural orgasmic juice. But I guess it depends on the original quality of the source you are listening to really.

CDs aside what is the best quality source?

Are mp3s or whatever as good now? I'm old school Cd me, don't know much about all this new stuff.

If you are talking about digital, then FLAC files are the best as there is no loss in the compression/decompression of the file. If you want the source files, e.g. the master tapes from the studios, then if there are FLAC files available, go for them. Sometimes with mp3s of 192kb/s or around that amount, you can hear hissing in the background, if you have a decent set of headphones on.

Otherwise, if someone likes the turgid pop crap that files the charts, the should go for whatever they like. :D

I hate the tiny bud things that you get with iphone etc.

Nice big padded ones, can deal with.

I truly hate those. They don't fit and fall out when I take a breath. I have those Bose earplugs that stick right in.

I have some noise cancelling ones, bought in Tokyo a couple years ago. They are the duck's guts - but (and it's not a big but!) they cause my hearing aid to feedback, and so I have to take the aid out when using them.

• 2 months later...

The ducks guts?!

:lol:

THis is a good thing?

Similar to the bee's knees. maybe.

I listened to some Sennheisers in the shop the other day. they sounded good.

• 4 months later...