• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bet you miss the train...   Good luck

At least I got a job in Sapporo

Sleet turning to wet snow in Yuzawa now. It was belting down snow when we drove through Naeba and Kagura on the way. Btw, ippy, I spent the day at Sugadaira today. It's not nearly as bad as you made it out to be. Review coming later.

its shit. yuou also have a car ') That doesnt lessen the shitmilitude though. Well, it does, but only marginally. coME ON! its like a massive rugby pitch!

I will say however, if you take the snowcats to the top, it might be alright. :)

Cleared about 10cm off the car this morning. Pretty heavy and wet, but up in the hills it should be good. Heading to Tomamu this weekend (thanks again SnowJapan!). Will have one day there and the other at Sapporo Teine. Not sure which way round we'll do it yet. Hoping for some clear sunny skies as we're going for a park session at Tomamu.

Enjoy it while you can guys.......

North Korea threatens to place military on combat ready status to prepare for possible strikes on U.S. bases in Pacific.

Scary shit!

;)

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!

Stupid side wall that dropped into a ditch. spun me round, landed on my ass... proper butt hurt.

Other than that a fun day exploring the conditions. Still got plenty of life left in it. Well... up top at least. Lower than maybe mizunashi and its on its last couple of weeks at best, but uenotaira still running fine and yamabiko still nice and cool. Tanuki was a blast as ever, but the middle line is DONE. If you know what im talking about, just avoid it. Loads of rubble, brush, and debris through the whole thing. I genuinely thought id ripped my base up from all the branches i was riding over (and hitting near the top - free sliding down 40 degree ice faces into trees! yay!). Lots of holes as well. This is from mizunashi though. Other lines might be okay, but that one is over for this season.

Got absolutely shit faced last night by pure accident (i couldnt taste the alcohol and was sat in my bed watching archer so couldnt feel the head spin - blacked out around 9), thus started the day not sure if i was just so hungover that i couldnt ride, or whether id lost my muscle memory from a mere three weeks without a snowboard.

Probably most fun line of the day was skiers right off the top lift on yamabiko in the trees there. You could cut pretty far away from the resort for fresh lines, but had enough speed to carry you back to the ropes.

Sorry, no idea why im writing out fragments :) But genuine opinion is that all the lower runs will be cut back fairly soon. I wouldnt be entirely surprised if it happened next week. The top up last night wasnt that great, maybe just a few cms. Some pow to be found here and there, but unless theres another drop we're definitely reaching end game for full top to bottom runs.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Proper slush out there. Id say anything below about 1500 meters was garbage base cleaning bullshit, above 1500 meters and it was pretty much garbage base cleaning bullshit.

Even bit the bullet and got a hotwax around 2ish, completely messed up again around 3.10. What else? Oooh, ninja stones peaking through around the top of skyline just as you come out from the winding bit at the top to the start of the run proper. Managed to ride right over one.

Crappy conditions. End game unless theres a cold front on its way. The prospective close around golden week is looking pretty optimistic. .

until sunday. Luckily theres a bit of a drop in temps friday night by the looks of things which will at least make things a little quicker out there.

Im sure as well theyll do everything they can to keep it running, but a decent bit of rain and id say its game over below uenotaira (if the heat doesnt kill it). As for yamabiko... its nice when the rest of the mountain is opening up for early season and swimming in pow, but im with muika, i wouldnt really be up for a wet and sticky yamabiko. I can handle it if theres other options (like playing down any of the three big lines), but on its own, unless its a drop, it aint really enough in itself to bring me up there. :)

Holy shit! thats mad! status quo were in my dream last night. They looked nothing like status quo and actually just did some kind of open mike standup routine. Unfortunately it went rather terribly when one of them, probably the drummer, started banging on about "the paki's". Actually that dream was pretty racist now i think about it. Theres another incident involving a lunatic american shooting loads of people from the middle east, but i cant remember that bit in detail. But race was the motivation.

Yeah, not surprising really, first up conditions are shitty out there. But second and arguably most importantly, no ones really riding the nagasaka and karasawa areas. Hikage has still got a few people there, but they can easily be shuffled up to uenotaira/paradise. I think its really that people just arent turning up for a late season ride in the hols. The numbers look kinda low, possibly because of the consistently poor conditions throughout march. As i said upon arrival here, my brain was at war with the idea of snowboarding. Im pretty avid (if albeit lazy) and rather close by, so for someone that has to drive or get the night bus its going to take an act of pure will to drag themselves out here. I think they realise theyre fighting a losing battle here and are scaling it back for them thats making the effort. Snow wise, they could still keep things going if they wanted, even on karasawa you can see in the holes that theres still a good 60 cms or so (well, at the sides), so not unfeasible to narrow it down and pack it in. I just dont think theres much reason to bother.

In other news, wheres the dentist? Im having a day off. Ive got about 5 days left on my national health care and a bit of a nasty tooth ache creeping in. :)

aaaaaatsui!

baking hot out there. proper shorts and t-shirt weather today. thank god its back to cooling temps from tomorrow. If youre out there today, rather you than me. enjoy the goggle tan!

Holy shit! thats mad! status quo were in my dream last night. They looked nothing like status quo and actually just did some kind of open mike standup routine. Unfortunately it went rather terribly when one of them, probably the drummer, started banging on about "the paki's". Actually that dream was pretty racist now i think about it. Theres another incident involving a lunatic american shooting loads of people from the middle east, but i cant remember that bit in detail. But race was the motivation.

In other news, wheres the dentist? Im having a day off. Ive got about 5 days left on my national health care and a bit of a nasty tooth ache creeping in. :)

Sounds like you need a shrink as well as a dentist! ;)

oioi! Another mad fun day out there Hell, it was such fun i even made one lift on the nighta (i could only do the one though. Realised i was exhausted and called time on it).

Might add a couple more days. Surprise hit of the day was riding paradise down the 39 degree line then off to the gondola to do it all again. Its part of the mountain i usually give a wide berth to, but yamabiko was proper wrist breaking conditions, and decided after a couple of runs to head further down the mountain. Paradise rathyer surprisingly delivered the fun slushy goods. Temps should be climbing again by tomorrow so yamabiko will be once again fun (seriously, any off piste line was pure bumpy iced hellscape, is there another word you old foggies use thats really really icy crud. Like a step above icy crud shit, because that would probably describe it).

All in all good day. Super knackered. But loads a fun again.