I think it might take a lot of encouragement to get people here to eat insects, anyone tasted any yummy ones?

Can Eating Insects Save the World is a new documentary in which food writer and self-confessed gastronaut Stefan Gates travel to Cambodia and Vietnam, to discover whether eating insects can save the world. This programme asks us to consider whether we would be willing to make bugs part of our regular diet. But if you’re not convinced, here are ten reasons why we should…

1. Insects could be the solution to world hunger. There are forty tons of insects to every human, that’s more than enough for an ongoing "all you can eat" insect buffet.

2. The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation are taking this idea seriously. They are planning to hold a world congress on it later this year.

3. They are naturally sustainable. Mealworms, for example, survive on waste wheat chaff rather than guzzling grain like our favourite meat sources.

4. It is easy to farm them on a large scale without damaging the environment.

5. They provide unusual flavours and textures. In the documentary, Stefan Gates enthuses about the “lemony sourness” of red ants paired with the “creaminess of their eggs”.

6. They are highly nutritious. Caterpillars, for example, provide more protein and more iron than the same quantity of minced beef.

7. Many other countries are already eating insects. Cambodians eat tarantulas, in Thailand they deep fry crickets. The UK are way behind.

8. There are over 1,000 varieties of insects edible to humans. Surely there’s something for everyone.

9. British Mexican restaurant Wahaca has already started experimenting. They are currently selling chilli-fried grasshoppers.

10. There is a distinct lack of emotional attachment - unless you were particularly taken with A Bug’s Life.

In parts of Japan, deep fried crickets are reasonably common. I haven't tried them though, but at a BBQ last year a Japanese oyaji brought a big plate full and passed it roud.....a few of my mates dug in and said they tasted ok.....I just couldn't get my head around it. I've eaten Lime ants in australia.....bite their big green ass off.....tastes mildly of citrus, and throw away the head (cos eating the head would just be silly)

think of this: Have you ever eaten softshell crabs? They lose their shell and come up for some new shell hardening. They're served fried in flour with garlic, chili and ginger.

It's like spider no?

5. They provide unusual flavours and textures. In the documentary, Stefan Gates enthuses about the “lemony sourness” of red ants paired with the “creaminess of their eggs”.

I reckon I'm gonna prefer this kind of creamy egg

Cadbury_Creme_Egg_single_2.jpg

My first year in Japan...up in Fukushima, I was privy to an Autumn outdoor BBQ and they had Inago for shits and giggles. Inago are the grasshoppers they collect around rice harvest time. They cook them in a sweet shoyu sauce that reduces and makes them like a sweet candy. They don't have any particular insecty taste but the exo-skeleton texture and pokey legs pretty much makes the experience exactly what it is.... eating a big ass bug.. :shifty:

My first year in Japan...up in Fukushima, I was privy to an Autumn outdoor BBQ and they had Inago for shits and giggles. Inago are the grasshoppers they collect around rice harvest time. They cook them in a sweet shoyu sauce that reduces and makes them like a sweet candy. They don't have any particular insecty taste but the exo-skeleton texture and pokey legs pretty much makes the experience exactly what it is.... eating a big ass bug.. :shifty:

yeah that was the same tasty morsel I saw at a BBQ as well

I was tricked into eating one of those things (blind) when I first came here.

Didn't taste too bad, I was just not happy when I saw what I had eaten. Goes to show that what it looks like and perceptions play a big part.

Crabs walk sideways, which always looks very shifty if you ask me.

I'm sure there are some lovely crabs, but it's hard to get past that walking thing. I like the way their eyes are kind of on the end of a stick thing. That is cool.