Wow Badmigraine, that story is crazy! Sounds like that dude was way out of line. The major difference between your situation and ours was that you could just comfortably conversate in your native tongue. It makes things so much easier.

Montoya - you say it is disheartening to hear barok does not want to take it further, why is that? I am interested to know what positive outcome anyone thinks could come from taking it further. If anything patrollers will just become stricter about people going off course.

As I said in a different thread, I have gone back to 47 numerous times since the incident. It was not enough to turn me off of the entire place. I like it there. I like some of the runs, and I like the park, regardless of the actions taken by a few of the patrollers. I may be a little hyper sensitive but I have definitely noticed patrollers taking extra long looks at barok and I since then. I guess it is just less likely that I will bust off course in less than perfect conditions.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:

Montoya - you say it is disheartening to hear barok does not want to take it further, why is that? I am interested to know what positive outcome anyone thinks could come from taking it further. If anything patrollers will just become stricter about people going off course.
Actually, to clarify my earlier post, what I meant to say was that I was saddened to hear that the same thing happened to another guy (jumped upon by the patrollers there). Not commenting at all about barok not wanting to take it further or not, which is 100% his prerogative.

I dunno, but when I talk with my Japanese friends and mention you the risk of violence if you go off-course on a ski-resort, they look me at like 'Are you serious??'. The whole thing does seem a bit bizarre and mind-boggling... which is not to deny that incidents have unfortunately happened and will probably continue to happen.

Yearly ridership at resorts seems to be going down and down. Word gets around (and not just here on this bullentin board), and I think (hope!)
that those resorts that best meet rider's needs will survive in the next few years. Those that don't and continue to generate negative publicity.... well, let's see how well they ride out this recession.

I was surprised to see all of this about Hakuba 47. I have had nothing but fantastic days there.

I've also actually spoken to some patrol guys over there a couple of times in the last few years when I've been there, and they were cool.

Listen, here's my advice.

Why don't you just all sit down round a good cheese fondue one night and let the cheese do it's work. Apart from having a fun and nutritious meal, you're sure to end the day on a high note - and all will be friends.

Cheese saves the day once more.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
I guess it is just less likely that I will bust off course in less than perfect conditions.
Guess they win then... everyone's still going, and the get tough policy is making 'them crazy arse gaijin' think twice!
 Quote:
Anyway, the Suwa crew are going to be at 47 this weekend and we have plans to try that sick run under the quad now it's got some good snow on it. If you're riding the quad, give us a wave.
:rolleyes:

Not according to some people it seems.

But anyhow, I am sure they do not see it as a case of them "winning". They are not the ones starting problems.

I did not come here for a short while, but sad to see the issue is continue. I agree with SubZero comments (as above). Surely when you are in a country not your own, you should make effort to know more about law and rules of the places.

Anyway, I hope all can ski for enjoy this weekend.

I was boarding at Urabandai Nekoma in Fukushima yesterday(which by the way ROCKED except for the fact that them lazy asses decided not to open their "redesigned for this season" board park)and I saw something that got me scratching my beanie. As I was taking the lift going to the very top of the mountain I noticed several quite skilled boarders making blatant off piste runs through the trees repeatedly right in front of everyone and they totally got away with it scotch free! I also saw a skier jumping the lift at another course(first time I`d ever seen that in Japan). I mean, there was a lift operator on top and at least 3 other patrols doing course maintainence stuff that were in the area. There was no way in hell they couldn`t have witnessed what those boarders were doing yet no action was taken! What gives? I guess every ski area has its own standards and unwritten rules huh? Maybe Barok and Enderzo(spl?)should come on over to Nekoma. ;\) BTW I was tempted but did not try the run cuz those trees looked pretty damn tight for my not-so-skilled ass and I didn`t want to risk getting jumped by some patrol who suddenly might decide to get aggressive with me. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Got it, Enderzero-san. :p Yeah, I meant that skier dude jumped off the chair, literally! It seemed like you could do anything and get away with it when I was there. Urabandai Nekoma may not be the most convenient place for you to go since you`re situated in Nagano. But if you and your buddies ever make a southern Tohoku trip it is definitely worth checking out. From Tokyo take the Tohoku Highway and head toward Inawashiro Lake area. The highway drive will probably take about 2-2.5hr and add another 30min or so on local roads. Incredible powder! P.S. they`ve got a really nice FREE sleeping area(kaminshitsu)too

Yes, IMHO. Their snow condition is probably and consistantly the best in the Inawashiro Lake region. Some people have called the snow there "micro fine powder" and I can attest to that! Alts Bandai and Inawashiro may be bigger and a bit closer to the highway but who wants mediocre snow and irritating crowd? My only gripe with Nekoma is they don`t have a big bath house/hot spring at the ski center(I think I`m turning Japanese). Oh, did I mention they`ve got incredibly cheap lift tix(especially on weekdays)?

• 2 years later...

Not really Nekoma is still a good place. ;\)

Too funny, reading that thread I realized that I was at Nekoma in Feb03, and althought I doubt it was me that was seen there by Snoboyaro, I did ride under the chairlift repeatedly \:D (the steeper one on the right, totally un-tracked. I may have a couple of pics somewhere)in view of everybody and was not hassled, but I never jumped off a lift-chair. eek.gif