Was on the Kanetsu today going up to Nagaoka.

Suddenly things slowed down and I could see that there was a police car about 500m in front flashing red lights and all - and a queue of cars quickly forming behind it.

It was going at exactly the speed limit which at that point is 50kmh. (On the expressway, having a laff!)

Every now and again some speedster comes whizzing past, only to go full on brakes when he realises that there is a police car ahead.

So the queue gets longer and longer, the road actually became quite congested because of Mr Policeman.

One car actually decided to overtake, slowly but surely. No pursuit from the police car, so a few others tried. Interesting to see people's behaviour in this situation.

I would say that 95% of people go considerably over the limit, probably more.

Luckily a few more km down the road he turned off.

Hardly endearing behaviour though is it.

Single lane, can't do much about it. But if dual carriage way, you can creep over onto the ouside and do him at 5 km/h faster than him.

So, if hes doing 80 and on the limit, you can do 85 to overtake. Discrepencies on accuracy of speedos give a 10% leeway.

It's funny when its a police car.. not so funny when its an ambulance causing the traffic jam. Lights, sirens and a long line of cars stuck behind the ambulance that should be speeding to the scene of the emergency. Try to never injure yourself seriously in Japan, help is a long slow ambulance ride away.

Funny you mention the ambulance.

A few weeks ago we were going up to Niigata and there was an ambulance on the road - full lights flashing and everything, but it was going at a really slow speed.

Perhaps exactly the speed limit (don't know).

Seemed stange at the time everyone else whizzing past it.

In Aus, they RUSH to an accident, then, if necessary because the patient requires some serious work "in-car" they take their time so as not to jiggle the medics working like navvies in the back.

Imagine if it was you in the back - require an intravenous drip inserted and the car hit a bump at speed - the canula might go anywhere! best case, it gets where it should be. Worst case they puncture another vital organ and you bleed to death in the car!

Had that happen to me heading to Takasu the other week. My mate and I were driving up and all the cars were behind the cop car going the exact speed limit. I just don't do the speed limit so I was going about 7 or 8 km faster than the group and managed to pass them and get up to the cop car, right when I started passing the cop car he got on the loud speaker and said that the speed limit is 80km/hr and that's what I have to do, so he pulled immediately behind me and repeated that two more times. I moved over to the left side and dropped my speed to just at 80km and then he proceeded to pull up next to me and say that if I speed he'll pull me over. Going 8km over warrants a freaking speeding ticket? What a wanker :thumbsdown: I don't understand the logic nor the necessity to just do the speed limit - it is a highway right? We drive 80km on back roads in the States. Straight, two lane highways and the limit is 80? Why??? :rolleyes:

It used to be 100 on the expressways, didn't it? I used to have a car that would make a continuous ding-ding sound, like a bicycle bell mounted in the dash, if the car went over 105.

Don't know why they dropped it to 80, but I think the usual understanding is that up to 100 "should" be safe from being pulled over. Every now and then the police like to be strict to make a point, though, and best to just humor them when they do. They're generally pretty forgiving on the expressways most of the time. (Heck, there are even signs up to warn where the speed cameras are mounted. (!))

(As for how things were back in the Old Country :grandpa: , I don't know how old you are, but you may remember when the Interstate speed limit used to be 55 mph?)

Parts of the Kanetsu here in this part of Niigata are 80kmh. I really don't know if it's a temporary thing but every time I go the signs seem to be saying 80kmh.

And this is outside of winter too.

Had that happen to me heading to Takasu the other week. My mate and I were driving up and all the cars were behind the cop car going the exact speed limit. I just don't do the speed limit so I was going about 7 or 8 km faster than the group and managed to pass them and get up to the cop car, right when I started passing the cop car he got on the loud speaker and said that the speed limit is 80km/hr and that's what I have to do, so he pulled immediately behind me and repeated that two more times. I moved over to the left side and dropped my speed to just at 80km and then he proceeded to pull up next to me and say that if I speed he'll pull me over. Going 8km over warrants a freaking speeding ticket? What a wanker :thumbsdown: I don't understand the logic nor the necessity to just do the speed limit - it is a highway right? We drive 80km on back roads in the States. Straight, two lane highways and the limit is 80? Why??? :rolleyes:

Back home I get a kick out the asshole Highway patrol that tag you going the other way, spin around fishtailing through the grass and gravel of the divider spitting gravel all over the road and flooring it to catch up with you to give you ticket for doing 10mph over the limit on a bright sunny day and calling your driving unsafe........Oh the irony. Even the patrolman pulling up to you to tell you are 8kms over is nutty unsafe... Asswipes!!

Chriselle, I've seen that several times in the States myself, but thankfully it wasn't for me. I always go with the flow of traffic back home, but that's usually about 75 miles an hour which I don't mind because it's what I usually do here :D I still get passed loads too. Some drivers really fly don't they?

I know it's about police cars, but what is up with people doing 80 in the right lane blocking traffic, and going the same speed as the car next to it? :rolleyes: Bitching about drivers here is a past time of mine. Sumahen :shifty:

I rock along at 120 and a lot of guys are happy to do so ahead and behind me.

Except for Audi ****ers who rock up to your ass. This one time I just passed a grandad on the left and slipped into the left lane to let him through. (I presume it was a him). His bow wave was a bit strong and I was obliged to get into his draft on the outer lane. I was trying hard to keep up and use the draft to save some fuel, but I lost him at 160 when I bricked. He just kept up the acceleration and disappeared.

I normally crusie along at a 120 on the motorways in Japan, which actually many others do. I go with the flow and most do between 100-120 on the motorways, so not many follow the speed limits here just as not many back in the Uk do either!

It is so annoying though because my car will happily cruise at 160 even going up hill don't make much difference to it.

When the roads are empty so that I don't go to crazy over the limit I stick it on cruise control, that takes the strain of having to keep looking at the spedo!

To think on the little B roads in the UK I used to do 100mph (160k) + on my motorbikes and 180mph (300k) on the motorways.

And here we are in Japan with pissy 80k(50mph) speed limits on the motorway.

Like England these stupidly low limits were created when cars were first invented like 100+ years ago!!!!!!!

It is high time they upgrade the speed limits by a fair bit to match the upgraded modern day cars!!!

It is not exactly difficult to go above 80k, even my old truck will do that easily enough going through the centre of Kofu here!!!!

I even done that speed on my bicycle before!!!!!

Haha that reminds me!

I had this dumb bitch in a merc a few years back cut me up by over taking me on the left and cutting right in front of me on the Kanetsu when I was on my way to Gunma!

That was her biggest ever mistake, because I will not take shit from dumb arse drivers who have no respect for other road users!!!

I caught her up followed her at around the 140-160 k speed and when she changed lane I changed lane and stuck up her arse for several miles, eventually she pulled over on the hard shoulder white as a sheet absolutely bricking herself!!

I reckon she got the message load and clear!!!!

Except for Audi ****ers who rock up to your ass. This one time I just passed a grandad on the left and slipped into the left lane to let him through. (I presume it was a him). His bow wave was a bit strong and I was obliged to get into his draft on the outer lane. I was trying hard to keep up and use the draft to save some fuel, but I lost him at 160 when I bricked. He just kept up the acceleration and disappeared.

Haha that reminds me!

I had this dumb bitch in a merc a few years back cut me up by over taking me on the left and cutting right in front of me on the Kanetsu when I was on my way to Gunma!

That was her biggest ever mistake, because I will not take shit from dumb arse drivers who have no respect for other road users!!!

I caught her up followed her at around the 140-160 k speed and when she changed lane I changed lane and stuck up her arse for several miles, eventually she pulled over on the hard shoulder white as a sheet absolutely bricking herself!!

You do know that was road rage and you were out of order right?

Well, I'm a pretty slow driver mainly because the vehicles I've had aren't meant for any kind of speed. Kind of ironic considering in my 20's I built cars FOR speed when I was into amateur racing. My old girl LandCruiser with 220,000 kms and big mud terrain tires isn't meant to do much more than the posted limits.

Haha that reminds me!

You do know that was road rage and you were out of order right?

Nah........ following her and THEN getting out and punching her in the head would be road rage.. ;)

:lol:

I am often tempted to 'bully' some people who drive terribly.

The thing that always gets me worked up is when you're on a straight road. Not busy. Can see for miles. Nothing behind you. Going along the main road then some dude turns into your road just in front of you causing you to slam on the brakes.

The thing that always gets me worked up is when you're on a straight road. Not busy. Can see for miles. Nothing behind you. Going along the main road then some dude turns into your road just in front of you causing you to slam on the brakes.

Yes I hate that too. And it happens a fair bit.