Has anyone got some advise on purchasing used ski's in Tokyo or Nagano area, not too keen on traveling from australia with skis, have own boots. I heard there are good value 2nd hand ski gear stores. Intermediate skiier so just thought it might be a option??

Thanks manny

I'm happy to be corrected but I don't know any "second hand ski gear stores" in Nagano.

What I know are recycle shops (kind of like junk shops) that sell everything and might have some suitable ski gear if you're lucky. I bought the skis I've been riding this year second hand at a recycle shop in Omachi. They are super beat-up but close to top of the line Salomon slalom race skis with race plates and bindings from 2002. They cost 2,400 yen. I know boards more than skis, and I've seen some cheap board gear there too. A Head Intelligence board for 4,000 yen etc. However, they never have more than six or seven pairs of skis. The same recycle shop has a store on the Minami bypass in Nagano City but is ridiculously expensive, which suggests a big variation between recycle shops.

The backcountry shop Rappies in Hakuba has a small second hand section as a favour to customers but again we are talking maybe only six or seven pairs of skis. All good ones though.

Since recycle shops don't know skis and boards, you can indeed find stuff that is very good value. However, I suspect 95% of good used gear gets passed on or sold to mates or ends up on Yahoo Auctions.

If there is such a thing as a second hand ski store, the guy running it will have to know what he's doing and so I doubt it would be cheap. Maybe Jimbocho has one. At this time of year though, it would probably be best to go there and get an end of season deal.

The stuff you find in those recycle stores is pretty crappy and hideously overpriced. The only store ive seen that has semi decent gear is 2nd street or whatever its called (its a chain of recycle shops). But they seem to be the worst fr prices. Hell, they were looking for two thousand yen MORE for a second hand ipod touch 5g with only their 6 month guarantee and no real idea on its use history. They dont really sell stuff that cheap. Real recycle stores like that santa one sell stuff pretty cheap, but its almost all trash.

For people in Japan, look on Yahoo Auctions if you're looking to save money. There are some good deals, even compared to buying from overseas.

The junk shops are really only for locals who are strapped or stingy. Other people with the additional cost of travel and accom every time you go shouldn't scrimp on gear.

Hi Manny,

I tried to find second hand ski shops and could find any in Tokyo.I found inforamtion on Tokyo guide that the Japanese sell their used ski equipment at the Tokyo Dome n-not sure when apparantly its very crowded.In Jan 2014 we bought boots in Tokyo Nordica for $220 new and also went back to Nagano when my sons ski boots broke on the first day to Alpen Depot Sports store about 10 min bus ride from Nagano station and bought Head size 31 boots for 19,000 yen around $200 they had a huge range of skis,boots,snowboards at great prices and less crowed than Tokyo-It is similar to a Bunnins size warehouse also bought Nike shoes $40 & $50.

Victoria Sports in Kanda area is also great they have 3 stores and will give you tax free if you show your passport.The stores are about 8 levels with different ski sports gear on each level.I would definetly buy new ski boots you can always sell them when you get home if you dont go skiing again.

Thanks again, Nellie your info will be handy, will take a look when we get there, we have already bought boots from the US, just trying to avoid the hassle of lugging them (ski's) around the airports.

Look out for Book-Off/Hard-Off stores. A nationwide chain of 2nd hand shops that sell lots of stuff including ski and board gear. There is a lot if crud but a good rake can through up a nugget or two. I bought a good Burton Custom and Flow bindings for 9k a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be coming from Australia and thinking I'll deffo buy my gear in Book Off, but it's definitely worth a look if u are near one.....you may find a diamond in the rough

From what I have found the hire cost for the average skier like me..(groomer) is about the same as buying new. we will probably staying for 10 days so is a each way bet I suppose. Will see what is the extra costs to bring them home..Thanks for your help.

you can get a good pair of new (last seasons) skis for 19800 yen in a lot of sports shops, and the outlet shops in the Toyko ski area have some very good bargins. Depending on the exchange rate at the time, may be a better idea than renting or bringing your skis with you.

I would warn against used here really.

Some of the stuff they rent out here is a disgrace in my opinion. Wonder how old it gets before they sell it!

I wouldn't buy ex rental skis from a normal rental operation in Japan because they are usually low end to start with. They will also be super heavily used. Conversely, many occasional skier's skis will only be used for a few days a season. Japanese people are notorious for "kakkou kara hairu", i.e., spending a fortune on gear even before dabbling in a hobby, so there is a lot of lightly-used, high-quality stuff out there sitting in the hands of mikkabouzu and three times a season people. The latter group will often replace skis with less than fifteen or twenty days on them. Yahoo Auctions is the best way to find such gear.

If the "here" in "buying used here" means Japan, I would say buying anything used in Japan is much safer than buying anything used in the UK. Especially second hand cars :lol: Just make sure you know what the discounted new price is.

• Like 1