Hi guys ,

I tried to post this before but I may have posted in the wrong area or something so I'll try it here. I'm planning a Trip to Hokkaio for about two weeks in 2014. I was wondering if any of you have used the tour groups/guides, and what your opinion of them is? The group I'm coming with are What I describe as "High Level Intermediate" riders. By this I mean we ride all terrain/conditions in the resort boundries (including off trail,trees,chutes). None of us have BC experience (I consider properly trained/experienced BC folks "Advanced/Expert") We are used to riding mountains such as Mammoth, Whistler, Vail, Beaver Creek,Breckenridge, Kirkwood,Heavenly where we have just grabbed a Map and took off on adventure. We are looking for the great powder/tree runs that we read about an see in the vidoes you guys are posting. We don't mind doing a little hiking but are not interested in the hardcore 3hr hikes for each 1 run type stuff. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the groups are worth the money because Japan is so different from these other places and if they give you access that you just cant get safely without extensive BC experience. Any advice/experience is welcom as I start plannig my trip.

Thankyou Much

• SnowJapan Admin

If you find yourself asking that question, please ask us the question.

The contact link is top right of every page of the Forums.

• SnowJapan Admin

Deleted post. BoredRider, we're really not mad keen on sarcastic comebacks, especially ones that twist round what I said.

Is it really so hard to wonder why.

Even if what you said were true --- the bottom line is it's our website, we can run it any way we choose to.

Look. We have no problem with people posting their opinion, which is what the OP asked for.

(Apologies for the interruption streetnfish).

Sorry if I broke any rules. I am not trying to advertise or start any type of mud slinging post so I apologise if I worded it that way. I am simply asking for advice for researching/planning an adventure that I have been dreaming about for the last few years. I'm coming to another country and riding in areas that I have no idea about and am just looking for help from people in the know. I have been on some forums that are so negative towards new members and that doesn't seem to be the case here. Moderator, I would love to hear your opinions also. Again apologies if my post is was out of form

Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin

No need to apologies streetnfish.

:friend:

I have no relevant experience myself and so no words of wisdom on that subject from me I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone else might pipe up though.

Good luck.

Are you looking for a guide to take you out of bounds or just show you the inbounds areas?

Where are you thinking of going in Hokkaido?

How many people are in your group?

You should be aware that there are a lot people selling there services as "guides" here in Japan who don't have the necessary qualifications to have that title. It is not like in North America where that kind of stuff gets cracked down on quickly. Be sure to check that they have the necessary guiding and avi training and qualifications.

If you are just staying inbounds I don't think you really need a guide. The only benefit would be if you get shown around your first day at a resort so you know all the best places to go straight away rather than wasting a couple days trying to find them.

Going with a tour group would probably not be as good as you would be with a large group with different levels of ability. You would probably spend a lot of time waiting around for people to catch up.

There are usually a few people on here who know the goods in bounds and willing to let you tag along with them. Keep dipping into the forum and by next year you'll most definitely have a few hits.

Thanks for the replies so far. As far as my group I would be going with 6-7 people. We have all been riding together for 10+ years and have developed a good sense of keeping together for fun and safety, so we aren't usually waiting for anyone. As far as inbounds or out of bounds areas, We just want to get sick pow runs all day. :friend: I'm seeing vids of awsome tree runs and open bowls with no one riding them except for one group (I guess it could be good editing) and hearing stories of endless pow runs with lift access close by. On the other hand I'm hearing stories of avalanches and how all the groups want you to use Avi gear. Also none of us speak Japanese so I'm wondering about how difficult travel might be. As some background I've never been one to use guides or tour groups when traveling. To me it's part of the adventure gettin to a place and checking it out for yourself. However, I've only traveled places where english/spanish is spoken so I've been able to get by and had fun doing it. This would be a different can of worms for us and as none of us have BC experience (or minimal by next year),so there is an extra safety concern. Thats why I appreciate the help here while I'm doing my research. I'd also love to hear about people who have come on their first trip and done it on their own. I'm not looking for someone to tell us what to do but rather am interested in peoples experiences so I can make educated decisions and not be a "stupid/dangerous tourist" as I've seen plenty in my travels. So keep them coming and thanks again. Please feel free to PM me with any info that you may not want to put out in public as I would like to keep this positive.

Thanks Again

I think Panhead Pete has used black diamond tours in the Niseko area, if I remember correctly. When we were staying in Furano, there was a similar sized group to yours staying at the same accomodation as us, and they were on a tour with whiteroom tours, they went to a different resort / area each day, and certainly seemed very happy with their trip. Both of these companies will provide you with appropriate avalanche equipment and give you a rundown on how to use it. I am sure that there are plenty of other excellent guiding companies in Hokkaido other than these 2.

If you want the uncrowded slopes, you don't necessarily need to hire a guide to get them, some of the smaller resorts will very likely be considerably quieter than Niseko. Tomamu has a good off piste policy, they require you to sign a release and wear a bib if you are going to ride the inbounds trees.

With 2 weeks, you could certainly visit a lot of different resorts. With a group the size of yours, have you considered hiring a van, so that you can travel to many different areas on your own?

Would like to check out as many resorts/areas as possible and also get a little culture in. The snow festivals sound really cool but sounds like the areas get really crowded. Might plan my trip to end as the festival begins so I can see it before I leave. Would also like to hit some of the small local hills as I love the vibe in places like that. Tomamu sounds good too as I'm partial to tree riding.

streetnfish,

To borrow a line from Vanilla sky: "Open your eyes". There's a prominent thread in this section that shows a lot of touring aorund Hokkaido.

To get mobile for a gorup of 8 and all the gear, you'd probably need a Toyota Hiace or something. If Niseko is in your plans at the busiest times of year (as you have suggest before the Sapporo Snow Fest), you really need to book early summer.

Good luck. And remember. Rusutsu is rubbish :naughty:

Well, it sounds like you don't want to do any actual touring (long hikes) so I don't think you need a guide. That would also be quite a large group to be going into the backcountry with.

There is plenty of good inbounds skiing with lots of fresh powder in the smaller resorts in Hokkaido. It will mostly be tree skiing so you should be happy. There aren't that many big open spaces at Japanese resorts (the top of Niseko being one exception).

Travelling around Japan is quite easy. It can be a bit complicated and daunting at first but there are often people around who are more than willing to help you.

Also, I would go before January 31st as that will be Chinese New Year in 2014 and the crowds will swell around that time. This might not be as much of a problem at the smaller resorts. The Sapporo snow festival is from February 5-11 so if you want to see that you could go for the last week of Jan and the first of Feb. That would also coincide with the peak of the winter and you would hopefully be rewarded with copious snowfall.

I will weigh in here.

I just did 6 weeks touring Hokkaido and I seen all the tour groups at numerous locations. I hated them to be honest. They turn up in big numbers, loud and roudy, its dial a crowd when they turn up. If you want culture forget it, you arent getting anything but niseko vibe with a tour group. (niseko vibe = bad lol). With 6-7 people you are already a crowd so no need to team up with more people IMO. I seen big groups of 10+ riding, once they move through an area its wrecked, the last guys in the line were getting scraps all day even when its 40cm+ of fresh snow.

My advice is hire a hiace, watch the radar and snow forcasts online and travel every day to the best location. Where you base yourself is optional but sapporo is a good base if you want to go north aswell as south on any possible day. Its 2 hours max to pretty much any worthy resort from sapporo. If you want to stay south and just do niseko kiroro etc then stay within 20klm of any town around there. Kutchan would be a good base.

The daisetsuzan national park is an excellent area if you want to see big mountains and true backcountry areas. You can also get to the sounkyo spa ice fall festival which rearranged my mind, it killed the sapporo ice festival.

East and north of sapporo gets a lot less consistent snow so it can be very ordinary out there on the wrong day but if the radar says its on up north and theres nothing down south you will be laughing your head off if you can get there instead of being stuck at a pre determined location copping the wrong end of the snow stick.

Thanks for the info so far guys. This is just the type of info I want to know. Will be weighing all my options and looking into renting a vehicle and checking out different spots depending on the weather. As I'm learning more it seems a bit less daunting to be able to get around out there. I'm also finding a lot of info about places to stay. I'm sure as I narrow down my options I'll have more specific questions. As far as BC gear EVERYBODY will have BC gear (probes,shovels,beacons at minimum) when we arrive. Not just for this trip but In general because we all want to be safe and now that we are a little older/wiser we realize that we have been lucky in the past not to have any major mishaps. Most of us will have taken an avi course but even with this we won't have the necessary experience and thus wont be too far off the beaten path without someome who does.

So refreshing to read how prepared you are going to be and that you know that you still have much to learn. Makes it very obvious you aren't like so many of the young Aussies who having ridden out a gate or 2 at Niseko and done a season at threadbo think they are Jeremy Jones when really they have no gear and no idea. Will be great to follow along with your trip next season.