March Manoeuvres - the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd

Gonna be down in Niseko this weekend. Weather looks a bit sketchy though, high winds on Saturday (seems to be a common theme this winter!). Hoping to hit Chisenupuri before it closes for good at the end of this season.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna be down in Niseko this weekend. Weather looks a bit sketchy though, high winds on Saturday (seems to be a common theme this winter!). Hoping to hit Chisenupuri before it closes for good at the end of this season.

Really? Why is it closing?

Turns out i have to go to the Hotel Meiko on Yomase. Not sure if thats where ill be staying, or if thats where they assign everything, but if its where im staying, NEATO! on piste. Im round the wrong side of the mountain mind you, but thats fine. Wish it was a three day weekend though, i know seeing ryuoo and not riding it is going to be painful. :) OOoh, im all excited at staying in a hotel for a night! Highlight of the year for me! :banner:

Really? Why is it closing?

The land is owned by the army, and I guess they just don't make enough money to justify running the ski jo? The daypass + onsen + lunch ticket is dirt cheap, and they don't get many people visiting.

Unless its utterly amazing, i have a feeling a couple of days a season is about enough for the area. It looks alright, but park dont interest me so thats most of x-jam. I saw yomase from yudanaka when i was there and it didnt look entirely riveting, the middle line is basically 2 runs down a hill and kijimadaira looks great fun (and is basically the whole reason im heading there), but i cant see it keeping me entertained for longer than a day in truth :) When you consider all the travelling between resorts, the potential for wind closures on the higher lifts on saturday and of course the riding, two days seems... about right.

And before i forget:

exp_kitashiga2.gif

and just in case the image self destructs between now and then, thats 9.20 from nagano (arriving yomase at 10.15), and 4.55 return arriving nagano at 5.50. Failing that 5.40 return arriving 6.40.

1400 yen each way. (if i miss the first bus then 10.35 from nagano arriving 11.30). There we go. Now just need to find a shuttle bus to get me round to kijimadaira so i can work backwards and maximise my time out there.

Dont think so, thats the timetable right there. If you want earlier you could just get the nagaden (the red line outside the station) to yudanaka. Yomase is a short taxi ride up the hill. We went to an onsen at the skijo when i stayed there for shiga kogen. The drive took about 7 or 8 minutes. So probably 1000-1500yen i reckons. Theres maybe a bus from the station, but obviously no info on that until i get there (and probably none at all since i wont really be heading down the hill to be honest).

Charmant Hiuchi for me Saturday and Sunday and will probably do a half day out somewhere along the way on Friday. Forecast keeps shifting around quite a bit so not really sure where we are going to end up.

How is Charmant? I noticed it while looking at the Niigata resorts as being the snow resort with the most snow. When I saw where it was, it made a lot of sense why it would get so much.

Charmant Hiuchi for me Saturday and Sunday and will probably do a half day out somewhere along the way on Friday. Forecast keeps shifting around quite a bit so not really sure where we are going to end up.

That looks like a nice resort. Is it easy to get there?

Yeah, it's pretty far out there. From what I understand, there is only one way in or out of the resort and after heavy snow you basically have to follow the plows down the road. There are shuttles from the nearest train station but I think it takes 45 mins to get there. Definitely seems like the kind of place you want to drive to... I don't really know much about the place but it seems like a pretty progressive little resort. I'll fill in all the blanks after this weekend.

yupyup, and it would be the weekend im actually locked into a specific place and a specific cost for no showing. Ah wells, i can always download something and just play that all weekend. :)

The weather may not be that bad. I'm checking the forecast for Kusatsu every couple of hours, and the closer we get to the weekend the better, or less worse, it's getting. At Kusatsu the amount of rain forecast is less than was forecast yesterday, and the winds aren't as bad either. Heres hoping it will be a good weekend.

Got to try and get out soon, apart from the nasty experience at Maiko it's been 3 weeks for me since last time.

:(

Thought it was a while since you posted some photos about your jaunts.

Forums seemed a bit quiet without them. :D

Got to try and get out soon, apart from the nasty experience at Maiko it's been 3 weeks for me since last time.

:(

Thought it was a while since you posted some photos about your jaunts.

Forums seemed a bit quiet without them. :D

Agreed! We need some more Muika no photos to keep us going. :thumbsup:

That said, I may have to sit this weekend out to conserve funds! :D