• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Where do you get the pellets? Can you burn regular wood as well?

I grew up in a house heated by wood stove, and remember it being a lot of work (splitting, stacking etc. -- as they say, "wood warms twice"). These pellets look like they might reduce much of that workload.

Someone I know has one.

Gets very warm and toasty. Looks good too. Expensive to buy. It runs on those pellets not regular wood. Consumes a lot of them, 1km per hour?, but if toyu is a certain price (I forget) running costs are similar or even less. Looks good and 'eco-friendly', I believe.

Might be expensive, but the pellets can be manufactured from waste (such as olive press waste, sawmill waste, stuff from other processing) - just sayin'

Hmm...Like Metabo I grew up in a wood stove house...along with the central heating of course. ;) I've split many chords o wood. :angry:

Right now our toyu heater is acting up and might be looking for something new. The only problem with wood burning or pellet burning is the smoke and the proximity to the neighbours. Unless these pellets are burning cleaner, everyone's laundry that is downwind of us is going to be smokey. :confused:

Often, no chimney is needed to use a wood pellet stove. While they burn off very little pollutants they do need to be vented. But, they can be easily vented through a small hole placed in the wall leading to the outside of the home. There is not expensive chimney installation needed here, in most cases. These stoves do not produce much smoke. And, as far as odor is concerned, the pellets and the pellet stoves provide fewer odors than other models of heating units. They are not messy either.

We are interested in one of these.

We use to have a fire place and central heating, I remember sitting around the fireplace in winter, was great, was also fun helping my father cut up the wood.

A lot of hassle though and lots of cleaning required.

We had thought to have one built into our new house at one point but then decided to much hassle, so are opting for a central;y heated house that is all electric, especially as we will be using solar power.

But the real fires are just so cosy and I love the smell of the burning wood, good for doing toast and burgers on too!

We are getting ours for free as the company we are going with are offering solar as part of a campaign.

Several companies are doing that now.

If it were not free then I would not go for it as it would take anything from between 8 to 15 years to get your money back and who knows if the solar is still working.

As for cost depends how many kw you want but typically starting from around 600000 yen per kilowatt as a rough estimate.

We will have 4kw on our house which is free.

It is not added to the cost of the house because even if we dont want solar the price will be the same.

It is a tie-up with Yamada denki in this case and other house builders do the same with other companies.

Often, no chimney is needed to use a wood pellet stove. While they burn off very little pollutants they do need to be vented. But, they can be easily vented through a small hole placed in the wall leading to the outside of the home. There is not expensive chimney installation needed here, in most cases. These stoves do not produce much smoke. And, as far as odor is concerned, the pellets and the pellet stoves provide fewer odors than other models of heating units. They are not messy either.

The info you've quoted about venting and installion cost is true, but with any burner, a lot of heat goes up the chimney (here actually a flue).

What you really want it is to have the burner in the middle of your house together with a long bit of chimney/flue inside the space you want to heat.

It'll radiate more heat off the same amount of fuel to a larger area than something stuck up against an external wall with the flue going straight outside.

We've got a woodstove which is fantastic, but pellet stoves are pretty good too and better for some people.

Woodstoves and open fireplaces are definitely more beautiful :) and around here you can get low quality fuel for free. They don't use electric either, which will put many pellet stoves out of action if there's an earthquake.

We are getting ours for free as the company we are going with are offering solar as part of a campaign.

Several companies are doing that now.

If it were not free then I would not go for it as it would take anything from between 8 to 15 years to get your money back and who knows if the solar is still working.

As for cost depends how many kw you want but typically starting from around 600000 yen per kilowatt as a rough estimate.

We will have 4kw on our house which is free.

It is not added to the cost of the house because even if we dont want solar the price will be the same.

It is a tie-up with Yamada denki in this case and other house builders do the same with other companies.

That sounds like a heck of a freebie!

The info you've quoted about venting and installion cost is true, but with any burner, a lot of heat goes up the chimney (here actually a flue).

What you really want it is to have the burner in the middle of your house together with a long bit of chimney/flue inside the space you want to heat.

It'll radiate more heat off the same amount of fuel to a larger area than something stuck up against an external wall with the flue going straight outside.

We've got a woodstove which is fantastic, but pellet stoves are pretty good too and better for some people.

Woodstoves and open fireplaces are definitely more beautiful :) and around here you can get low quality fuel for free. They don't use electric either, which will put many pellet stoves out of action if there's an earthquake.

Are there any air pollution regs you need to think about when getting a wood burning stove/fireplace installed?

No regs round here!

We've got an imported clean burner, but no-one checked. The local home centers also sell very primitive woodburners for a few thousand yen that look like something someone from the Deep South would connect to a barrel to smoke ribs and make pulled pork.

AF-60.jpg

You can probably guess how much thought and testing has gone into making the above stove clean burning. ;)

This also isn't what I mean by a "beautiful" woodstove. :D