This is a video of me today nearly landing in a glide crack covered in fresh snow. It was hard to see but I saw it just in time to avoid landing in it, if the vis had of been worse I would probably have gone straight in. You dont just fall into a hole either, you get smashed into the opposite side and probably break bones etc which makes getting out pretty hard to do hence why they are so dangerous.

it took me three watches to see it, amazing consider when i finally did see it, it was freaking HUGE! :) Glad your alright. Cant be having accidents on snowjapan :)

I sank up to my neck just off the course at Mtsumata yesterday. Last run of the day....always the same, just 1 more run then I'll call it quits....boom! I'd been riding this patch of trees all day without any hint of stopping and sinking...it was last lifts, no one was on the lift and no one was on the piste a short crawl away, but every time I tried to move, I sank further. Tried walking down the hill but that seemed to make it worse, eventually pulled myself clear using my board as an axe-hold.

Between the park and the beginners run? Im pretty sure thats a creek bed in there. Last time i was there, you could see the outline so you knew to stay to the left (assuming your dropping from the beginners line and heading towards the park line). There was a decent snow bridge much further down as you come out at the foot of the park, but i can definitely imagine if you didnt know or it had snowed a bit, you might veer to far to the right too early and thus right on top of the creek itself, which is possibly where you sunk. :) If thats the case, also grats on getting away with it. :)

Yeah we were in there but I was worried about there being a stream so we stayed high and came out at the park. Where does that stream go then? Right in front of it is the Ropeway and some patrol buildings.

I sank up to my neck just off the course at Mtsumata yesterday. Last run of the day....always the same, just 1 more run then I'll call it quits....boom! I'd been riding this patch of trees all day without any hint of stopping and sinking...it was last lifts, no one was on the lift and no one was on the piste a short crawl away, but every time I tried to move, I sank further. Tried walking down the hill but that seemed to make it worse, eventually pulled myself clear using my board as an axe-hold.

What about the golden rule of always having a buddy when not on piste? Good you managed to get clear but tragedies do happen with people dying in tree wells really close to pistes (and we are learning in glide cracks in Japan).

Yeah we were in there but I was worried about there being a stream so we stayed high and came out at the park. Where does that stream go then? Right in front of it is the Ropeway and some patrol buildings.

No idea to be honest. Im struggling to even remember what it looks like in there :)