You have been told this after choosing it and arriving?!

But, from what I remember the Yakbitaiyama area was the funnest. It's not known for the steep slopes though. It's more a monkey and nightlife place.

Have fun!

:wave:

But, from what I remember the Yakbitaiyama area was the funnest. It's not known for the steep slopes though. It's more a monkey and nightlife place.

Have fun!

What? 21 ski resorts, 71 lifts, promoted as the largest ski area in Japan and no steeps/tree runs?

Have fun!

What? 21 ski resorts, 71 lifts, promoted as the largest ski area in Japan and no steeps/tree runs?

In my experience - pretty much. And not all open to snowboards either. There is still some fun to be had though.

Thanks for the comments. I had read that report a while back after Shigakogen, Nozawaonsen and Hakuba had been recommended to me as must sees on a first trip to Japan.

I've got a week here with an awesome looking weather forecast ahead plus I ski, opening up the whole area. I'm trying to get a handle on skiing powder and find that a bit of vert seems to help. Must be something out there to keep me going.

watching the monkeys stomping on everyones cars always cheered me up. :) Other than that, just ninja lines where you can. Yakebi is your best bet. Plenty of lift runs, the olympic slalom course is a genuine ripper, and that other one i mentioned (the names now elude me) is also a decent ripper on it. Plenty of trees at the side to play in as well, when i was there though it was pretty much sludge in the trees so couldnt venture too far off piste.

snowjunky still catching up on his work before re-appearing? ;)

Nail on the head @tokyo - first time I have looked at the forums since 24 Jan,.

Crazy busy at work will be a while before I get back on here for some reports etc,

Mikep - there are plenty of steeps on Yakabitai dropping off the sided of the ridge runs. You will need to study the piste map to check the walk out is doable.

An easy one to find is ski top to bottom under the Okashiga Kogen Gondy

Also drop off to skiers right about halfway down on the run down to St Christoff bakery where the gondy is.

And yes the short sharp pinch down off the top of Yakote is good as is the ungroomed black run a little further down just above the bottom of the top lift up the mountan

Have fun

If you aren't comfortable riding powder then I'd be careful about venturing too far away from the piste.......its very easy to get stuck up to your neck, be within shouting distance of the slopes and still take an age to right yourself and get out to firm land. One step at a time :)

FWIW, I've had 1 of my 3 epiphany days at Shiga kogen, the snow was that good.

head up to Terakoya, I liked that area leading down to Tanne no mori and Ichinose Diamond (I think). The Prince hotel bit, that connects to Inchinose family also has some good poachable side runs