Time for me to ask a question!

I had thought about getting a ski instructors license so that I can teach skiing, especially as I will be living 10 mins for two ski resorts from this coming autumn,

When I asked about that the other day at the ski resort I was told that I can take the test in Japan, but the written test is all in Japanese, and that every year less than 20% of the Japanese people who take the test pass as it is very difficult!

I know I can take it abroad in an English speaking country, but kind of a hassle to do that?

Just wondering if anyone here has taken a ski instructors test in what ever language and what was involved?

When my FIL passed away he left us a nice little fishing boat with a 75 hp Yamaha and growing up having my own boat as a kid I really wanted to use it. Like the ski instructor test the boating license is Kanji heavy apparently and never bothered....actually I should have looked into it. Ended up selling the boat... :sadface:

I realise that, but there is money to be made by teaching privately, not through the resorts as they only pay a shitty wage and expect you to work all hours.

Just plan on doing it as a side job some weekends as and when people want, not as a regular income, already got that!

Have already taught a few people privately like this once in a while, but having a license is better in many ways, especially for insurance purposes.

Afaik you might want to organize for 1 and 2 at the same time?

I thought level 1 was a 2-3 day job and then you're done, and you'll be stuck with only beginner skiers all the time.

NZSIA Level 1 is a 5-day course (including exam)

Doing the Level 1 course & exam and then going straight into the Level 2 course & exam whilst not out of the question is unrealistically optimistic IMHO.

Doing the Level 1 course & exam and then going straight into the Level 2 course & exam whilst not out of the question is unrealistically optimistic IMHO.

Hehe yeah, unless the instructional company offers it it'd probably make you look real cocky and just piss them off ;)

Ive seen it offered when I was in Canada and USA, so thought it might be something pretty common.

Hehe yeah, unless the instructional company offers it it'd probably make you look real cocky and just piss them off ;)

Ive seen it offered when I was in Canada and USA, so thought it might be something pretty common.

The Canadian system has 4 levels, so doing Levels 1 & 2 in the same season is realistic. That's what I did.

The NZ system has 3 levels, and as such the jump from Level 1 to Level 2 is higher.

OT but you can actually take the boat license in English! It's very easy, a lot easier than getting a car license - I guess to accommodate all the fishermen?

I have it but never used it.. Anyone got a boat? Haha

I guess I should have actually researched it instead of listening to my ancient salted and sun dried fisherman neighbors.

Butt-Kicking-Machine.jpg

Afaik you might want to organize for 1 and 2 at the same time?

I thought level 1 was a 2-3 day job and then you're done, and you'll be stuck with only beginner skiers all the time.

Are you sure you want to do it tho?

Most ski instructors are dicks.

You will get used to telling people what to do, and so you'll figure that gives you the right to tell EVERYBODY what to do.

Pretty soon your ego will be so huge you will need a convertible to be able to fit your head in.

Figuring you are always the center of attention, you must always ski in perfect form. So much so, that you now look like a robot with a pole up its ass when going down the hill. Even out of uniform in your off days you can be spot a mile away. Then one day suddenly you realize you've lost the enjoyment that skiing used to bring you.

ps: my opinion of ski / snowboard instructors may have ever so slightly effected the advice ive given here today :D

Yeah I taught surfing for awhile and it sucked looking at all those waves rolling in while you stand in the water.

I would think it would be the same I have taught my kids and wife and that sucked

I have hears of mikepows recccomendation that you can sit the NZSIA test in parts of Japan these days and it is a short intense course.

I taught skiing here in Japan many seasons to JHS and HS kids thinking about it now it was one of the best and most rewarding jobs I have ever had.

I remember being assigned to one private lesson where communication was impossible. Still I guess its the ideaof taking a "lesson" that takes on importance here.

You can do the aussie level 1-3 quals in Niseko as well. I doubt having a cert will help you with insurance whilst teaching independently though.

As for the guy who said that all ski instructors are dicks, you don't exactly come over as a charmer either...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, snowdude, which resorts?

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a ski instructor license to teach skiing. Most ski instructors at resorts in North America do not, gasp, have any sort of license at all. The better ski schools have in house training and encourage instructors who do not have certification to obtain at least Level 1.

The course bearcub did (NZSIA/SBINZ in Niseko) offered both - those working without ski qualifications in the resort just came for the official course+exam back to back 1 and 2, wheras cub and the other full course participants had 2 months of prep. The course participants did find the unqualled instructors to be cocky though...

One thing to note...the ski course did prep, then official course, then exam for L1, then started on Level 2. Anyone failing Level 1 at this point did the prep course but with no hope of passing L2 and no opportunity to redo L1. The board course did ALL their prep for 1 and 2 first, then did official course 1, exam 1, official course 2, exam 2, so at least you got 6 weeks plus of awesome instruction and learning with a positive outlook before you tanked. (cub passed L2, but a skier friend of his failed L1 and he was just gutted for her).

Although I have taught a few people now and again privately for cash in hand and these people knew I had no license which did not bother them and that was at Sun Meadows and Nobeyama.

I just think it is better to have a license than not legally speaking. Of course physically makes no difference if people dont care.

Not sure about Japan and whether legally it is required but thought if it is not ro much hassle I might go ahead and get it.

Liike teaching English I guess there is no need for a license and many teach who have no teaching qualifications with no problems.

Difference with skiing people are moving and can get injured not sure how I would stand on that if I dont have a license and the person I teach falls and gets an injury.

I can of course have a disclaimer that they sign negating me of any responsibility but still.

Hey, snowdude, which resorts?

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a ski instructor license to teach skiing. Most ski instructors at resorts in North America do not, gasp, have any sort of license at all. The better ski schools have in house training and encourage instructors who do not have certification to obtain at least Level 1.