WiiU vs PS4 vs XBox 720 vs cheap mobile gaming

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accounts and multiplayer related stuff seems less chear.

Playable in around 19 hours from now! If you buy it as a download anyway.

Played a bit of Destiny. Cool!  

Annoying as it may well be, it makes sense.

Supply US where competition is (much) strong(er).

No Xbox competition in Japan. Wii U seriously underperforming.

New PS3 games released within the year to sell.

Wait until more Japan-friendly titles are ready.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to play that game. At the time it was mind boggle genius! Alas, a four or five month binge on morrowind and tribunal put me off the idea of open ended games for life.

Shen Mue was funny, I did enjoy it... though less so by the end of the second one. With the amount of cash it was supposed to be eating up in development, got to say it probably wasn't worth it.

Glad I was there then though.

Yesterday, word came that Hiroshi Yamauchi, who was the head of Nintendo from 1949 through 2002, had died at the age of eighty-five. Yamauchi led his company, which had been founded in the nineteenth century by his great-grandfather, through an extraordinary and unique transformation. In his 2010 article “Master of Play,” which is about Nintendo’s preëminent video-game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto, Nick Paumgarten told some of Yamauchi’s story:

Nintendo has been in the business of play since 1889. Its founder, Fusajiro Yamauchi, made playing cards, or
karuta
. Well into the next century, the company’s main product was
hanafuda
—cards made from crushed mulberry bark and lavishly illustrated with symbols such as animals and flowers—which replaced the painted seashells that the Japanese had traditionally used and which became widespread in Japan for gambling. As it happens, fortune and luck are intrinsic to the company’s name. Made up of the three kanji characters
nin
ten
, and
do
, the name has been said to mean “Leave luck to heaven,” or “Work hard, but in the end it is in heaven’s hands,” as the journalist David Sheff rendered it, in his 1993 portrait of the company, “Game Over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Dollars, and Enslaved Your Children.”…

In 1949, Yamauchi’s headstrong and debonair great-grandson Hiroshi Yamauchi, aged twenty-two, took over Nintendo and began restlessly casting about for ways to extend its reach. He secured a licensing agreement with the Walt Disney Company and scored a big hit with American-style playing cards adorned with the image of Mickey Mouse. Other entrepreneurial gambits—instant rice, a taxi fleet—fared poorly. In the mid-nineteen-sixties, Yamauchi hired an engineer named Gunpei Yokoi and a crew of young tinkerers to think about making toys and games, and their experiments helped foster a culture of whimsy and risk amid Nintendo’s rigid corporate structure.…

The very serious men turned out a succession of silly gizmos. There was the Ultra Hand, a device with a gripping hand at the end of it; the Love Tester, a primitive electronic contrivance that purported to measure the level of ardor between a boy and a girl; the Beam Gun, which used a ray of light to hit simulated targets. (Nintendo converted abandoned bowling alleys into “shooting ranges,” where you could fire at simulations of clay pigeons.) Across the ocean, a company called Atari, based in California, had created Pong, the first hit video game. Pong, originally an arcade game, was turned into a home version in 1975. Inspired by Atari, and by the craze for a new arcade game called Space Invaders, Yamauchi, who told Sheff that he had never played a video game, led Nintendo into the arcade business, and also pushed for the development of a home console like Atari’s, an apparatus that would come to be called the Family Computer, or Famicom.

Yamauchi later hired Miyamoto, who went on to design games like Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros., and Legend of Zelda; the Famicom was eventually marketed in the United States as the Nintendo Entertainment System, or N.E.S. You can read more about of Hiroshi Yamauchi and the history of Nintendo in “Master of Play,” which is available online.

I'm not really a gamer and was accompanying some industry people there.

I did enjoy chatting to a lovely lady at the Puzzles and Dragons booth under the pretense of trying the game.

Its the top grossing iOS app in the world, and four million US a day of revenue gets you some high-quality eye candy.

Here's one of them from a game blog. Its a Japanese company and a Japanese game, hence the uniform.

262207-pd.jpg

My time ran out just before I hit the one I was talking to with an overt chatup line but it was fun doing the groundwork all the same.

If you go to a geekfest like this and are a non-geeky bloke who can talk to women, I think you could have some success.

It does look a bit like she has a mustache though.

But I think it's a trick of the light, and not really a mustache. Surely, even if she does grow a mustache, she'd have had a shave before the work day started.