WiiU vs PS4 vs XBox 720 vs cheap mobile gaming

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accounts and multiplayer related stuff seems less chear.

Playable in around 19 hours from now! If you buy it as a download anyway.

Played a bit of Destiny. Cool!  

US-based Jeff Nelson was struck with the idea after he tried to sell his iPhone 5 on eBay, preloaded with Flappy Bird which has now beenremoved from app stores.

In recent days hundreds of smartphones and tablets installed with the app have been uploaded to eBay for up to £150,000 after players panicked the game would no longer be available.

It is worth noting the app was free to download in the first place, and users who loaded it onto their devices prior to its withdrawal from app stores can continue to play the game without issue.

Mr Nelson listed the starting bid price as $499.99, with a Buy It Now price of $1,200, before receiving a notification from eBay stating it had removed his phone listing, stating that smartphones and tablets must be restored to factory settings before they are allowed to be sold. As Flappy Bird was linked to Mr Nelson's Apple ID, wiping the phone would leave the buyer unable to play the fiendishly addictive app.

Mr Nelson now plans on renting his phone out for the price of $1 per minute, and has advertised his services on Craigslist.

"I realised there existed a heavy demand for the game among gamers who did not download it before the app was taken down," he said. "Trained as an economist, I decided to supply that demand.

"On Craigslist there were many sellers attempting to sell their electronic devices at exorbitant prices. Instead of selling a device for $5,000+, I decided I would let people rent my device and play for $1 a minute. That way they could test out the game (and see how incredibly frustrating it is) instead of purchasing a very expensive, used device. In a way it's a 'try before you buy' model."

Mr Nelson plans to let takers play the game on his phone in controlled environments, including his home in Washington DC, in Starbucks, or another place with people around and observe. He doesn't plan on letting people take the phone out of his sight without taking a security deposit to minimise the risk of theft.

"Truthfully, I think Flappy Bird is a dumb game that people are way too hyped up about," he said. "My personal high score is six. I am not very good at the game, but I have only played it for about 20 minutes in total."

The game, which involves tapping your device's screen to propel a small bird through a series of strategically placed pipes, has been a huge success in recent months.

However the app has also received criticism for its unprecedented popularity. Despite being released in May 2013, the app did not start receiving high download volumes until December last year. Speculation is rife that bots have been deployed to download the app thousands of times and falsely propel the game up the download charts.

When contaced, creator Dong Nguyen refused to deny the claims, saying "I respect all other people opinions. I won't give any comment to this article. I'd like to make my games in peace."

He decided to remove the game from app stores last week after saying it had ruined his "simple life".

Will the PS4 be readily available when released here or will it be a while before supply? They've had enough time to make them you'd think but a bit of 'too much demand' publicity always seems to be something these guys want.

Just saw this on IGN comments (teaspoon of salt etc).

US:

PS4: 2,273,000

Xbox One:1,960,000

UK:

PS4: 530,000

Xbox One: 364,000

Japan:

PS4: 322,083

Spain:

PS4:157,000

Xbox One:35,000

France:

PS4: 240k

Xbox One:126k

----------------------------------

The positive is that despite ps4 absolutely destroying microsoft in the run up theres still room for the both of them (at least in the US). But yeah, definitely the ps4 wins the opening round unanimously. For me personally, and with no free money until at least june, july (or even august), it gives me plenty of time to decide. The ps4 for everything right now (processing and online). The xbox for future vision (kinect plus illumiroom or whatever they call it in their itteration of it in 3 years when the sales start flagging) as far as im concerned. :)

• 1 month later...

Microsoft has announced that gamers in Japan will get the Xbox One this coming September, leaving a long summer to be spent toiling away with the Xbox 360. According to the company's Japanese division, the next-generation console will be hitting shelves on September 4.