WiiU vs PS4 vs XBox 720 vs cheap mobile gaming

Xbox news

• The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours in order for you to play games. For many people, from military personnel to students, that's an inconvenience, maybe even an impossibility. Never mind what happens to everybody's console if Microsoft's servers ever come down.
  • The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it. Publishers being the very people opposed most fiercely to used video game sales.
  • There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".
  • Responding to fears over privacy issues surrounding the "always plugged-in" Kinect, Microsoft says you can turn the Kinect off.

hmmm

The must connect once a day really does not seem like a good idea.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accounts and multiplayer related stuff seems less chear.

Playable in around 19 hours from now! If you buy it as a download anyway.

Played a bit of Destiny. Cool!  

What happens if you don't play games every day? Or if you go on vacation?

It will automatically connect I reckon. The xbox one will run in a low powered state, it has to if the Kinect sensor is to pick up the command "xbox on", so it could be possible that the internet connectivity would run in the background, or perhaps something similar to ps+. If you go on holiday, then as DumbStick says, it will probably be ok. It's not like people spend all day in front of their computers or video games consoles, is it?

It will automatically connect I reckon. The xbox one will run in a low powered state, it has to if the Kinect sensor is to pick up the command "xbox on", so it could be possible that the internet connectivity would run in the background, or perhaps something similar to ps+. If you go on holiday, then as DumbStick says, it will probably be ok. It's not like people spend all day in front of their computers or video games consoles, is it?

You reckon? So you won't need to buy a new console when you get back? ;)

Connecting to check up on stuff seems to be the way things are more and more. Doesn't the MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite things do that now.

Its honestly amazing, i really couldnt give less of a four x about consoles, but i am LOVING the gossip and bitching about this wave. E3, an event barely register is hyped and ready to kick off. Heres to microsoft cocking it up. Its not that i hate microsoft. Its just that its been hilarious so far and long may it continue.

part 2 of the xbox saga in 4 minutes live from e3 if you can find a stream. This is apparently the 'games' one. Only unless they reveal in-game DMT the whole things going to be "thats nice... how about that whole used games/always on/backwards incompatibility/exorbitant cost for live/obsession with EA sports/USAfocuserevealwithatonneofshitthatwontworkanywehereelseintheworld thing?"

Xbox - on! (it took me 4 minutes to type that believe it or not - i couldnt remember what else i was going to write after xbox live cost).

ETA: Silly me, starts at 1.30am Japan time, not 1.00. Youve still got 19 minutes to have a shower or whatever.

tedious thus far. I know, games games games, but metal gear solid (non xbox exclusive), a new, slim (???couldnt see it - feed sucks) xbox 360, now theyre banging on about world of tanks on xbox 360. I really need to get some sleep.

I just switched out my interview. :) Ill do it on Wednesday morning instead :p

Watching the gameplay from Ryse. Was actually keen on this since it was supposed to showcase the kinect. But holy hell is it some clunky cliche looking bullshit.

Theyre now presenting a car??? An actual car. Hooray! Does it come with the xbox one?

"Now lets take a look at our new trailer, featuring ALL IN GAME footage!!!"

- oh wait, cut-scenes are in game too. Silly me. :/

So far, 30 minutes in and its looking pretty uninspiring.

dont really know what i saw with quantum break, but its the first game thats piqued my interest.

lots of nothing....

but now witcher 3. Ive played witcher, witcher 2 and every time got about 5% through it and just kinda stopped :( I mean to like it, but it just never happens. Lets see if 3 hypes me to play it yet again for two days... looks almost the same game as witcher 2 on my pc. dunno what i expected, its not like its an ancient game. And despite being a 3 year old laptop, its still got some life in it.

price:

$499 US

EU499

429 quid.

For a tiny tiny second there i thought they were about to reveal a new top secret mass effect. I almost cried because i dont want this console in a gazillion years. Piece of shit line up. Graphics bump, multiplayer frame rate improvements, but aside quantum break (and only because im intrigued by it), nothing feels genuinely next gen. Well, unless you count forza 5 playing the game for you by telling you what to do throughout your race. I shouldnt be too hard, it just might be gaming thats boring me in general.

Information overload this morning, what with Apple giving stuff as well.

Actually a bit lost in it all. Can you sum up in one paragraph, ippy?

bunch of games that look exactly like games from the last two or three years on PC with nothing particularly ground breaking or interesting in terms of gameplay. Its early doors in the cycle and maybe the one game that looked like it genuinely might grab my attention was about a thirty second cutscene demo by black tusk studios. But otherwise bunch of shooters, a fighter, a racing game, 2 zombie games, 2 token indie games, a pc game, and massive bullshit games like world of tanks and minecraft... its all lowest common denominator stuff. Oh! and halo! And lots and lots of "Exclusive for xbox!!!" that werent actually exclusive for xbox (but are released first on xbox, or have exclusive downloadable (paid) content for xbox - distinctions and clarifications were few and far between). The mech game looked neat for multiplayer but its just a different bunch of models over the same old shit.

The crowd was pretty much unimpressed. Ryse, which was supposed to be standing ovation omg! stuff looked clunky, generic, and FILLED to the brim with quick time events. Dunno what to say, im trying to remember what made me think "wow, we might be in next gen territory" with the PS4 announcement earlier this year, im hoping it was something about the gaming itself and not just the shiny graphics. Because if it is, then neither is really going to appeal. Oooh, destiny! love that. Gets released on all formats though, so im going with the cheapest (pc) as soon as its released.

Also, 499 euros and 429 quid???? When you dont even get all that lifestyle shit you get with the US version? Out of their damn minds. As someone said, launchday price also includes a game and the xbox gold membership so thats closer to 600 euros on release day. Wasnt 600 DOLLARS the number that made sony rethink the ps3?

Probs an important point

PS4 will not put any restrictions on used games, Sony's Jack Tretton said today. Gamers can buy PS4 games, trade them in, lend them to friends or keep them forever. Loud cheers. He was drawing a point of comparison, obviously, to the Xbox One.

No periodic check-ins. "It won't stop working if you haven't authenticated for 24 hours." No registration of games.

destiny is KILLING it! Cant freaking wait for that game to be honest. I aint a fps person, but this ticks all my mmo boxes so far.

right, i missed 85% of that (stupid teaching!) someone fill me in on anything pre-destiny. Anything scream I MUST PLAY THIS NOWWWWWW!!!???