We normally ski in australia but wife and i are looking at the nagano area Jan 2014, I know its a long way off but would love any tips re acc, places ect. poss 10 days. Not after a party place, wife is basic skiier. Shiga kogen and nozawa has been suggested,Looking for meals inc and not shared bathrooms. thanks in advance. Manny

Edited by manfredk
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If youre a photographer, maybe... and i know its not nagano... but have you considered .. zao?   Definite portfolio stuff there. I mean hakuba has a really nice backdrop too, but snow monsters or a

Get yourself a JR East Rail Pass. I like the 4 day Flexis that gives you any 4 days within a month and costs you pretty much the same as if you get the Narita Express/Shinkansen to Nagano return. That

If you are overnighting it in Tokyo drop all your big bags at the airport and get the Black Cat to deliever them to your hotel. Approx $20 a bag. Makes a big difference.

Hi Manny,

For 10 days I think Hakuba would be a good spot. There's plenty of terrain so you won't be going down the same runs over and over. There's plenty of accomodation there in all price ranges so you can't go wrong.

Tell us a bit more about what you want to do and skill level so we can get a better idea of what you're after.

For a 1st trip to Japan and for 10 days Hakuba is indeed a great choice. Its relatively easy to get to either by bus/van from Narita or by train (Shinkansen) and bus. Most businesses cater for english only speaking and reading visitors and there is a range of riding/skiing that various from novice to Jeremy Jones. I wouldnt have dinner as part of the package as there is a wide range of restuarnts that are well worth getting to. A couple days in Tokyo on the way in or out is also a great idea. Any additional questions ask away.

Hi Manny,

For 10 days I think Hakuba would be a good spot. There's plenty of terrain so you won't be going down the same runs over and over. There's plenty of accomodation there in all price ranges so you can't go wrong.

Tell us a bit more about what you want to do and skill level so we can get a better idea of what you're after.

Thanks for your reply, 5 days of skiing will be plenty for us, not after powder although willing to give ita go if its there, and probably not 5 days in a row, the rest of the time we'd like to be tourists, im a pro photographer so keen to have a look around the area.

cheers Manny

Yeah definitely Hakuba

Heaps of restaurants accomodation and resorts there is also things to do and close by and shops

Hi Manny,

Im what i think you call a "groomer". its a new word to me but pretty apt..lol .

Never skiid powder, ski mostly blue runs in australia, My wife is not a great skiier, im looking for plenty of suitable runs for her and I to enjoy together and not just a the bottom of the hill, then I will head off by myself to test my quads as well.

Is it best to buy good warm clothes there or here. I think I might spend the first night at Narita after a 10- 12 hour flight im not sure about a long bus trip to the resort. We will probably hire ski clothes. But any tips will be greatfull

Thank you all for your help and tips, must tell you we are in our early fifties, but still pretty fit and have skiied since 8 yrs old off and on. I work as a photographer and have worked a lot with the japanese people on the gold coast and love them, so Japan seems like a great idea and the price is very appealing compared to australia.

I get booked for my work 12 mnths in advance so im trying to organise the trip soon so I can allow space for the trip.

Again thanks to all who have been so helpful. Not sure on the travel details once we get there, but have time to find out, to buy good warm clothes there or here? Or hire, soo many questions.

Manny and Donna.

If you do go to Shiga Kogen check out the snow monkies.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/snow-monkeys-of-jigokudani.html

Well worth the trip. There is also a wonderful onsen (hot spring) town called Shibu Onsen (渋温泉)just below the monkey onsen. I stayed there last March and it was a wonderful experience! There are 15 baths around town that you can try and it has a very nice small town Japanese feel. It is just below Shiga Kogen. It might make a good break from skiing day mid trip.

I have also heard Nozawa Onsen is nice.

If you do go to Shiga Kogen check out the snow monkies.

http://www.snowjapan...jigokudani.html

Well worth the trip. There is also a wonderful onsen (hot spring) town called Shibu Onsen (渋温泉)just below the monkey onsen. I stayed there last March and it was a wonderful experience! There are 15 baths around town that you can try and it has a very nice small town Japanese feel. It is just below Shiga Kogen. It might make a good break from skiing day mid trip.

I have also heard Nozawa Onsen is nice.

I heard the same thing, I like the idea of a quaint village, not sure if you can travel to these parts if staying at Hakkaba which is where most people are suggesting.

If youre a photographer, maybe... and i know its not nagano... but have you considered .. zao? :)

Definite portfolio stuff there. I mean hakuba has a really nice backdrop too, but snow monsters or another mountain range? Tcha! no contest :p

• Like 1

Get yourself a JR East Rail Pass. I like the 4 day Flexis that gives you any 4 days within a month and costs you pretty much the same as if you get the Narita Express/Shinkansen to Nagano return. That way if you want to travel eslewhere like to Zao you can without any additional travel costs. If you have 10 days I'd conider 5 days in Hakuba and 3 in say Nozawa and a couple in Tokyo on the way out. Snow monkeys can be done by organised chater bus from Hakuba and you get to go to a couple other places as well. Dont bother with Shiga (The resort area) you'll be bored senseless when not skiiing but the town Gumma mentions sounds nice. You can hire a car too which is not a bad idea.

• Like 1

If you do choose to stay the night after you land and travel to resort the next day, I recommend staying in Tokyo and not Narita. You'll get a better and more competitively priced hotel in the city rather than staying by the airport. It'll give u more options for the trip to resort as well. Depending on what time u get in, you could have a lightening quick wander thru an area of Tokyo and have some dinner and drinks

Just for a counter argument, if you stay in Narita check out Narita san (the temple). I have been to many and it remains one of my favorite in Japan. The street leading up to it is also worth the walk. Only problem is the fastest trains from Tokyo leave from the airport, not the city. There is a free bus from the airport to many hotels and to Narita station (not to be confused with the airport). The price range has been pretty good for me, but I book using the Japanese version of Jalan.

If youre a photographer, maybe... and i know its not nagano... but have you considered .. zao? :)

Definite portfolio stuff there. I mean hakuba has a really nice backdrop too, but snow monsters or another mountain range? Tcha! no contest :p

thanks for the tip. place looks amazing.. Dam so many choices..

If you are overnighting it in Tokyo drop all your big bags at the airport and get the Black Cat to deliever them to your hotel. Approx $20 a bag. Makes a big difference.

great idea.. thanks