We all know that but not everyone has a crew ready to ride at all times. I ride alone a lot and its the risk you take. I just try to ride familiar terrain as new terrain can catch you out easily.

Familiarity is a double edged sword. It can help us get through terrain more safely but the perception of safety in familiar terrain also leads to you taking higher risks. Familiarity is one of the reasons people can make bad decisions in avalanche terrain and trigger avalanches. This isn't necessarily targeted at you but people need to realise that they are more likely to take stupid risks if they are in familiar terrain and should take that into account when making decisions.

• 7 months later...

Heres that pic, just so you can confirm your hypothesis: Basically cleared out the loose unbonded stuff under it, and under that is a thin layer bonded to the melt/freeze . On the day it rolled really easy if you dug through to it. Like almost instant rip away causing (small) slough slides. It pulled me away with it on one occasion but the board dug in again and i could arrest the slip. So maybe under that is a nicer layer or something, i dunno :) Fun learning about it though and trying to figure it out.

gallery_10042_188_1511996.jpg

Just rehashing this one for the hell of it, its time to get the avy brains thinking again.

From the bottom up it looks like a possible melt freeze layer. You could assume (never assume lol) beyond this layer the snowpack is stable.

In the middle is a weak interface of about 5cm, possibly a graupel layer. This layer seems to have not bonded with the layer beneath or the layer above.

At the top is a 15cm or so soft slab (new snow)

By keeping a diary of the snowfalls you could expect to see this based on your info.