• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Depends where you live, I guess. If people around you have them, then not having one makes your house an easier target.

Actually, the security companies will tell you that the most effective part of their system is really the sticker they put on your door.

One of my friends has a Secom system.

It has the usual window/door sensors, as well as a fire/smoke thing connected to them as well.

Also the olders both have a simple button gizmo that they press a button and the Secom guys will turn up which seems a handy thing to have.

They pay about 5000 yen a month.

No houses in this area have security.

In fact a lot dont bother to lock their doors.

Our two dogs will do for our security.

They are not at all big but will chew the shit out of any uninvited guests.

5000 yen a month doesn't seem so bad, I thought it would be much more than that.

Ours is only about half that, actually, but it is a pretty minimal system. (Or else it is because we paid up front to own the sensors, rather than rent them. Break-even on that decision was about 4-5 years, as I recall.)

Do they give any kind of guarentee about response times?

You know, from when SECOM are alerted to when the guys turn up in their lovely helmets and uniforms?

Ha ha, yes, they say they get that request all the time.

As for response time, I don't remember if they promise anything, but in practice it takes them about 10 minutes to show up.

(I've, err, tested the system by accident before...) They also first call you to see if it was an オペミス. Before that (as soon as the sensor is tripped) there is a blue light they mount on the outside of your house which starts flashing, while the wall-mounted controller makes noise.

What you don't get is the fade-in appearance of the ghost of KimuTaku's grandfather, or the Attack of the 50-ft Olympic Wrestler with Laser Beam Eyes. The TV commercials are perhaps a bit misleading in that regard.

Let's face it, with so many people going out and not locking up, but leaving cash in the house, one that is locked up and has obvious security is surely going to be pretty goddam safe.

Would be interesting to see some stats on this kind of thing actually.

All very interesting.

Out of interest, I had a talk with Secom people who made up a mitsumori.

Costs about 50000 yen to set up and then around 5400 yen a month. That's for a pretty tight package that covers everything, including fire. And stickers. Their office is 8km from where we live so estimate within 15 minutes arrival.

I don't think we'll be bothering, but interesting all the same.

Let's face it, with so many people going out and not locking up, but leaving cash in the house, one that is locked up and has obvious security is surely going to be pretty goddam safe.

Would be interesting to see some stats on this kind of thing actually.

I think I saw on some site that in Japan there are 117 burglaries per 100,000 people. In Australia the same site said there are 1,017 burglaries per 100,000 people.

People arent on meth in jp.

Except for Aska.

Is he the dude getting hung out to dry by the media atm?

Yes.

Wasn't NoriPi also nabbed for speed? Or was it something else?

I thought she was smoking crystal meth, and Aska was caught with MDMA

Given that the "on Meth" and burglary connection now been firmly established, I reckon I will start up a security company in Toronto.......and maybe as a side business, a chain of Meth Labs & security companies in Japan..........

:bumtish:

People arent on meth in jp.

Except for Aska.

Is he the dude getting hung out to dry by the media atm?

Yes.

Wasn't NoriPi also nabbed for speed? Or was it something else?

I thought she was smoking crystal meth, and Aska was caught with MDMA

I think the newspaper just said 覚醒剤. Haven't researched it further, have to admit.