• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

And can we kip down when we visit Mt Granview?

Promise to put on clothes after all that gnarly nekkid skiing.

No need to worry Pies, SnowJapan are gnarly workers.....they have a naked office policy :party:

• 2 weeks later...

The company we used seem busy.

They have been here today again, a door being replaced and a few odd things here and there that need sorting. Was talking to the guy seems they have a few projects on the go.

Overall, very happy with them. They are attentive to my obssession with wanting everyhing as close to perfect as possible. I know it's a battle I can't win 100%, but I can't imagine all companies would have ggiven the same experience.

Well, actually good question.

They seem to give us basic support on the overall house for 10 years, though I presume that covers things like structural stuff.

One thing we had develop was a small squeek on one stair - I told them and the next day the carpenter came and fixed that for us no fuss.

All of the things we ordered and have will be covered by their manufacturers guarantees - which is what has been used on a few other things like this door that was replaced. Ijust told the building company and they got the necessary people to come. And they turned up as well to check all was good.

It's re-assuring to know that we're not just being left now the house is basically done.

• 3 months later...

Electrician came round today to add a few outside sockets.

I was surprised the way he could easily 'add' some outside sockets on the other side of the wall where there are some existing indoor sockets. And can keep the indoor ones as well, it's not an either/or.

I had two done, as I was also surprised that it only cost me 14000 yen for everything.

It was a mistake to not have any outdoor power in the initial house plan.

I just didn't think about it at the time.

• 1 month later...

Actually been on the news recently the increase in break-ins in this area.

No doubt small compared to back home I would presume but.... it does happen.

To prevent burglaries.

And that's a problem where you live? In all my years in Hokkaido I never heard of anyone's house being broken into.

Yeah but you're probably just as likely to win the lottery as get your house broken into in Japan I'd reckon. Hardly worth worrying about.

Go Native's what you call a "Japan expert", and has all the local data for everything*.

*as long as it's to do with Niseko marketing, up until about 2011

I'm thinking of asking him for advice regarding some of my Dome projects.

:thumbsup: