We have gone for fairly basic lights upstairs as cant see the point of wasting loads of money on fancy lights for the bedrooms.

Downstairs however we have gone for a nice set of LED lights 2 for the living room and one for the adjacent room.

They are a soft light type so although bright not overly powering and they have a warm feel to them.

Kitchen wise built in lights above the sink and oven hood and a large flourescent light for the kitchen.

Again we didnt see the need for a posh light for the kitchen rather something that is bright and neatly fixed to the ceiling with a cover not the open crap that this house has in the kitchen now.

We gone with some nice little down lights for the hall ways.

I dont know thoigh why Japanese people love open uncovered office style lights in their houses?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

We haven't gone overboard on the bedrooms actually.

I suppose most of the stuff is in the kitchen LDK area.

I think it'll be great though, really looking forward to seeing it real!

:friend:

The "people were happy to have the lights on after them hard days after the war" one seems to be a stock answer. I got it when I asked why classrooms and a sports hall with massive windows still had the lights on on sunny days years ago when I worked in a school.

In the post-war period, TB was the second biggest killer, so there is no doubt that people were poor at that time. Whether this has had some lasting influence on people's preferences regarding lighting is a much larger step in logic, I believe. I personally suspect, like wallpaper, laminated flooring, and joke levels of insulation, it comes from people wanting to do stuff on the cheap and being told anything else is the conversation stopper that is "takai". How much more "takai" is rarely, if ever, asked, nor are the demerits of the non-takai method material ever discussed. Sticking a big ring or strip flourescent in the middle of the room is going to be the cheapest way to put lighting in it. If Japanese people really did "love" blinding levels of lighting, almost every izakaya and cafe would soon go out of business. They are places where people pay much more than they need to drink beer or coffee, so people must like the atmosphere they're creating. Convenis do have blinding levels of lighting, but the only people in them more than two minutes are reading comics without buying them.

If anyone is stuck in a room with a nasty center light, a rail spotlight thing from Ikea doesn't cost much and should clip in the same fitting. I think we did it in one of the places we rented. For our own place, we've got mainly recessed downlights in the ceiling, with a couple of rails in the kitchen, a triple bulb Asian looking thing above the dining table and a twisty Japanese paper shade by a designer called Isamu Noguchi hanging in the vaulted space above our living room. Some of our downlights are E17 because "smaller is better" was the trend five years ago, but it's all changed with LED. The mistake I made is that a couple of the brackets I bought had shades that were nice but too dark. Both were in storage spaces, so they're just bare bulbs now.

Got you there, Mr Wiggles. I think it is one of those "lines" that people bring out way too easily and without much thought.

Having said that, this dude I met was very interesting and knew his lighting (as you might expect if that was his job!) He was clearly enjoying talking about the ideas and best lighting for my house and in a subsequent mail he said again that it was fun because of the usual lack of this kind of thinking. Seems pretty bizarre to me.

I did actually ask him what the lighting in his house was like and he said rather subdued compared to the norm, using light bouncing off walls, brackets and spotlight-style fixtures.

That's how it was for us.

The "default" lighting if we didn't change anything was basically the usual boring one light in the middle kind of thing for each room. Not awful at all compared to lots I have seen, but very uninteresting.

So I asked for a catalogue and chose what I wanted, and met with a professional lighting guy for the advice etc.

定価 catalogue prices for my complete plan came to over 650,000 yen.

That ended up translating to an actual additional 280,000 yen or so to pay.

For me though that is definitely worth it. It will transform the feel of the house, and just look great.

Yes, big-will.

In our case, not always entirely clear and a bit slow getting reponses on costings - but the prices they have come up with have been nice and considerably discounted, and in line with what I hope for after researching - and so I haven't often felt the need to 'probe' further.

How's your groundwork going snowdude?

Our foundations finished soon

Ground work and foundations finished.

Going over there this afternoon to have a look.

Oh and will bring a pack of 24 cans of coffee for the workers.

its pretty funny the difference in culture eh? Can you imagine the look on UK builders faces if you brought em 24 cans of anything but beer??!! :lol:

its pretty funny the difference in culture eh? Can you imagine the look on UK builders faces if you brought em 24 cans of anything but beer??!! :lol:

But actually what do we bring builders in England as I have never built a house there would we really bring them beer?

I think I like the Japanese custom better though.

Imagine if the builders drink to much beer my house would end up as pissed as them.

oh yeah actually....thats right! Totally forgot about that :doh:

Cup of tea brought by the owner were always well received.....that was exactly what I was doing when the World Trade Centre got hit!!

Just got back from Kobuchizawa to have a look at the foundations.

All looks good.

Weather permitting they will be the base that the house sits on this week.

And then the frame once the concrete base has set

hard.

Followed by the first floor sides around 27tth 2nd floor around 3rd July and then the roof after that again all weather permitting.

Nice snowdude. They must be soon continuing with work?

End of the coming week for us.

27th this month they start building the first floor frame and walls.

2nd floor from around 3rd July.

Something occured to me last night while chopping veggies. Can you control the counter top heights? The counters in my house are obviously built for soneone who is 10-15cms shorter than I am and I find it really annoying.

Our kitchen is, or should I say will be, Yamaha and yes we had a choice.

I think it was 800cm, 850cm, 900cm (maybe more options, not sure).

The lady made the choice. The big decision was 850cm.