Got my answer.

They are coming down by 100,000 yen.

Estate guy said that the owner was 非常に厳しい and not willing to move any more, saying that if they didn't sell for what that asked they might end up using it themselves.

Of course I know it might be a game and we can't tell if that's just fluff talk or not but....

Interesting to note that current price is actually 70% of the original price they asked for it, so it has effectively come down a lot anyway.... just we didn't know about that original cost.

Need to consult with dumbstickess, but I think we might go for it. Love the place, don't want to risk it and it does seem very reasonable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Thanks.

More like more money for all these "options"! Or should I say 'contribution to full cost of....'! ;)

I suppose I'm happy. Silly me was taken in by real estate guy who had previously mentioned a possibly bigger discount, which kind of seemed a strange thing for him to say right up front anyway, so I was kind of hoping for more off.

I think more than anything if you are happy with the price for the place you like then that is possibly one of the most important things.

Having said that each area usually has a set price so many yen per tsubo, so if the price is with in that range or lower than you got a good deal, if it is more than well depends how much more and whether or not you are willing to pay that price or negotiate more.

Sounds like you got a deal you like?, and knowing the problem we had to get land in the spot we like at the price we liked, if you think it is a good price and the plot is in a spot you like then good to go for it I would say, especially as it (well was for us) a pain in the rear to find what we wanted where we wanted and in the price we wanted.

I'm pretty sure it's a great deal. The people I have told have been suitably "eeeehhhhhh, yasui ne" when I told them.

:lol:

You're right though. Location is very important I reckon.

My brother back home was straight away talking about potential profits on selling and stuff like that, but seriously..... I'm buying it to build my home on and live on, not sell.

So the bulk of my life being in a place that I really like seems to be the way to go rather than overly worrying about the details of re-sale value in the distant future. To me anyway.

Are they allowed to do that tho? Isn't that what's called "gazumping"?

In Scotland this isn't allowed (afaik it's ok in England and Wales), you submit a bid and all u hear is if it's been accepted or knocked back

Dunno. I doubt it though.

I guess the first rule of negotiation, never accept the first bid, goes on the assumption that the bidder is invited and encouraged to make a second one. When we asked the real estate person and found out the house had been sold, their reaction was just "I didn't think you were interested". Aye, not interested in a house we showed my father in law and made a bid on. So as general advice, I wouldn't automatically assume Japanese real estate people will be putting lots of energy into fighting the good fight for you the buyer. Keep onto them as Dumbstick has done.

That house was down a narrow private road that had to be cleared with a mini bulldozer, so in hindsight I'm pleased it didn't work out. It would have been a lot of work!

Do people grow up wanting to do real estate?

Can't think of anyone who likes those types.

Making money off both the buyers and the sellers, making nothing.

:lol:

The world would be better off without them!

:grandpa:

Kibishii ne.

Do people grow up wanting to do real estate?

Can't think of anyone who likes those types.

Maybe they all wanted to be lumberjacks.

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia!

With my best girl by my side!

The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood!

etc. etc.

When I was looking at land in Hakuba a couple years back I found a cracking block. Asked the agent the price, was told what it was and that was firm and I agreed to pay it. Then right at the end of the process when the contracts were about to be signed out of the blue the price increased by 25% if I recall correctly so I told them to jamn it. It appears there's lots of different practices that can happen in Japan but not in Australia like agents buying places and flipping them with a fat margain without any disclosure etc. None of the agents I've dealt with and am currently dealing with seem too keen to seal a deal. Almost unnerving :)

This may sound a silly question, assuming that you've borrowed from the bank, when do the mortgage repayments kick in.......from when you sign the contracts (for the land etc) or from delivery of the completed house? As you can see I know nothing :)

They start from when you execute the loan. For the house, that will be at completion of the house, just before you move in. If you buy the land separately in advance and take out a loan for that as well, then you will have payments for that loan starting before house construction.

When I was looking at land in Hakuba a couple years back I found a cracking block. Asked the agent the price, was told what it was and that was firm and I agreed to pay it. Then right at the end of the process when the contracts were about to be signed out of the blue the price increased by 25% if I recall correctly so I told them to jamn it. It appears there's lots of different practices that can happen in Japan but not in Australia like agents buying places and flipping them with a fat margain without any disclosure etc. None of the agents I've dealt with and am currently dealing with seem too keen to seal a deal. Almost unnerving :)

Hakuba Cowboys!

Yeeehaaa!

For the land the agent came up with a full break down of costs right from the bat.

The cost of the land.

Their commission.

The stamp or whatever it is.

The taxes that need to be paid.

Going to buy the land and met with the house guy again today, close to finalising the layout of the house.

All starting to become a bit real!

Exciting, a bit anxious 'big decision' feeling!

You should have a 'house build' thread, showing the progress once it starts. Saw someone do it on another forum, was pretty cool to see how everything came together. Not trying to impose, lol, just an idea.

This thread is great, a lot of good info. I've often thought about opening a pension/cafe with the wife, but it's very expensive. Ready for something new though, perhaps after a few more years I'll take the jump and fall off the grid lol.

Best of luck on the house, hope everything works out well for you!

Yes it is all very interesting.

Never really put much thought into it but I'd love to have a bigger nicer place of my own. There's some nice looking places going up now.

Maybe in a few years if I decide to stay on.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned for things to consider are neighbors. A good friend of mine is completely losing his mind over a situation he's found himself in. He bought a house on the side of a smallish mountain 4 years ago with very nice views of Suruga bay and the surrounding town. At the time, he was assured by the builders that no one would be able to build a house that would block his view or box him in against the mountain because zoning laws don't allow for structures over three stories in that area. What the builders didn't tell him was that it was possible for the neighbor to build the land up and then build a house on top of that. So now he's watching a massive house going in right next to him that will block his view completely and also box in his house. To top it off, the builder who assured him that that couldn't happen is the one building the house.

:doh:

That sucks.

I suppose most times when a new house goes up, someone's going to be not too pleased about it.

There's only so much assurances you can have of stuff like that though isn't there, I suppose.