• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

From what I saw, Yuzawa gets much bigger snow banks, but I wasn't exactly in the burbs in Sapporo....they do a good job of clearing the city centre. That said, the central embankment of some major roads did have head high snow banks. I'll be better placed to comment this time next year :)

• SnowJapan Admin

We're planning a building for here in Minamiuonuma and going through the process.

Looks like there's two options for the sprinkling water thing. The first is digging a well and have that sprinkle around the front of the house or wherever and also have it circulate up to the roof and melt snow up there. That water is natually warm and they have to dig down 70+ (what I was told) metres. Costs around 1.5-2 million yen but running costs are pretty low. If you do that you won't have much snow building up on the roof/falling off the sides and also don't need as much free space either side for that consideration.

The other is to have some kind of big tank that you fill up with water (basically normal water supply) and it pumps up to the roof. It circulates and is reused and so you're not constantly using new water. That water is heated up (?) but can freeze up and be problematic in that way. Obviously cheaper than getting the well thing done, but not as convenient or reliable.

As for the whole of the ground floor concrete or not, garage or otherwise. The only rule on this seems to be that the houses must be able to withstand certain strong quakes, not whether the ground floor is made of wood or concrete. Those rules have become much stricter since Chuetsu especially for 3 floor buildings. Seems that concrete is more expensive and won't shake as much. Wood will shake more, but is actually more resistant. There were cases in Kawaguchi town during the Chuetsu jishin when the houses with the first floor concrete 'moved' as one, and took some huge damage. The ones that did not have the ground floor all concrete survived better, apparently.

This is all what I have heard talking to various people round here, or should I say what I have understood anyway.

There's a name for the ground floor concrete way of building houses here in Niigata: 高床住宅

http://www.town.yuzawa.niigata.jp/upload/1/chiikiseibi_tokurei_kijun_kaisetsu.pdf

http://www.pref.niigata.lg.jp/jutaku/1223229711334.html

Went to see a few more places this last weekend and in talks with 2 companies we like the feel of.

It's whole lot of fun planning a house. The biggest frustration remains that total costs are still somewhat vague. Got general ideas but that's what they are - general ideas.

Need to crank up the seriousness and details of the discussions I think.

We decided this weekend on the house builder we are going with SxL.

And we are going for a Japanese modern style all custom built to are specifications.

Now lots of planning now such as wall colours internal fittings etc etc etc.

And wr have the land ceremony good luck thing to do soon as well .

Remember to get as many plug sockets installed as you can. And fit some of them with internet connections as well. :D

Oh yes we will definitely make sure to get enough installed, especially when you see the lack of sockets in a typical house here.

We use laptops with wifi, so no real need for many connections just one internet connector downstairs and one up will be more than enough.

Lots of things now to do!!!!

Sockets, definitely. Though actually with this company we seem to be leaning towards, their show houses seem to have a lot of them.

About internet connection. Not clear on that. Why would I need more than one "wan/lan" thing that my wifi base thing connects to?

Well it depends on many computers or devices you have that you want wired.

Wireless is fine for surfing the web, but I prefer wired for gaming. Moreover, sometimes people move their router boxes around the house, and having more than one socket gives you the choice to move it.

Sockets, definitely. Though actually with this company we seem to be leaning towards, their show houses seem to have a lot of them.

About internet connection. Not clear on that. Why would I need more than one "wan/lan" thing that my wifi base thing connects to?

Depends on how you use your laptops and the speed of your connection. In our apartment the connection is very quick, using wireless would actually slow the connection down, and as the three lpatops here never actually move far wired is best.

OK sort of understand.

But.

Right now in my house the set up is: one phone socked that goes into a hikari cable 'box'. From that I have a cable going to my Time Capsule which acts as my wifi hub.

If I had more 'internet connections', where would they go and how would my above set up be affected? Silly question maybe but I'm really very ???? about stuff like that.

What can, and is often done in a new house (in NZ at least) is to wire a LAN port into every room, the cable them goes back to a cupboard somewhere. In this cupboard is a router, attached to the router is the ADSL/cable modem that provides the outside connection. Often the router is a wifi hub as well. This enables connections in every room via "wire", for PCs and laptops that don't move about much, and wifi thoughout the house for laptops, tablets, phones etc.

A wired in PC can be used as a media centre, and as high spec PCs generally cost less than high spec laptops there may be a time when a PC is purchased rather than a laptop.

Although Internet enabled devices like fridges etc are still a way off in the future it makes sense to future proof your house now. Adding in extra cable for Internet or a sound system costs a lot less when building than later on.

I got the AU 1000mb high speed wifi and it will work upstairs or even outside at least to the end of my driveway as my phone picks it up outside when I go out.

Don't know how far away it will actually pick up though, maybe 50mtrs?

My printer uses wifi so no cables to the comp, my TV is wifi, as is my computer and phone, so have no need to hard wire anything.

Hard wire offers the max 1000mb were as wifi runs at about 500mb, which is way fast enough anyway.

Unless I have something super excessively big to download I have no need to hardwire my comp, takes the portability out of having a lappy.

So I will have one internet connection upstairs and one downstairs max fitted to our new house, just in case I actually want to use a cable sometime.

OK thanks.

So. If I ask for LAN connections in 4 rooms, the wires from each of those within the walls would go back to the 4 LAN sockets on the Time Capsule?

(The Time Capsule is connected to the OCN hikari cable box)

Correct?