Just to add to it listen to your house builder as sometimes the estate agent either dony know or dont want to tell you all but a good house building company will know all there is to know about the specifics of the land and if they dont they will get all the info.

The agents find it difficult to hide something frpm the house builders.

As for kitchen we are going for a closed type because we both like to cook but hate the smells floating around the house after.

The house we are in now has open kitchen.

We will go for an electric oven not as good as gas but then as the company that we have almost decided to go with offer free solat it will make sense to go all electric.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

I think the (commercial grade) gas hobs are better if you want to do something hardcore like throwing fried rice about in a wok, but with ovens gas or electric doesn't make a difference. I think electric ovens have a bad rep in Japan because people automatically think of the countertop ones that are some kind of compromised microwave combo hybrid jobbie. The built in ones don't have microwaves and are 200V. I doubt most Japanese people have even seen one.

Boggled mind aside, I still like the one we saw last weekend best.

The building company has checked out the land and said it is ok to build on but we do need to connect the water.

The fudosan is going to try and adjust the price tag becasue of that.

Waiting for my 'house room plan' to come back, can't wait to see if all my ideas can be done. I really chopped and changed it all round.

You get you what you want big man! Talk to another builder if you start getting the "dekinais".

Almost all standard house plans in Japan will be for a family with kids whose needs are going to be different to yours as a childless couple. You should bias the whole thing towards your hobbies and create spaces for them. A home theatre, music room, workshop, home gym, ski room, etc etc. makes much more sense than just another bedroom you're not going to use, or some upstairs open plan space that gets left in a standard house plan as "oh that's where your kids can study". You could even locate the bathroom so its pseudo ensuite.

Unless your budget is really pushed or the zousekiritsu of your plot is very tight, the extra space of a larger house doesn't cost that much more provided you keep with shape of the house simple. Its kitchens and bathrooms that cost a lot, not simple rooms.

Good ideas.

Went to one today, it has 10LDK. Very pokey. The whole house was like a "mini house", all the rooms were really small probably 5 mat size.

No thanks.

If I'm going to the expense of all this lot, I'd rather have "bigger" than "smaller".

It also had the living room there right as you open the front door! Open the door and you see right into the house. Not sure who would consider that a good idea!

This is an education though. All interesting though I'm an impatient want-instant-answers type. This doesn't seem to be the kind of subject that gives you those!

When you say 45 tsubo size, what exactly does that mean - the size of the 'footprint' of the house is 45 tatami mat size, regardless of how many floors?

The plan I have asked for a costing on has 3 floors (2 garages and 1 room on the ground floor). The 'footprint' is I think about 30.

When you say 45 tsubo size, what exactly does that mean - the size of the 'footprint' of the house is 45 tatami mat size, regardless of how many floors?

1 tsubo = 2 jo (2 tatami mats)

45 tsubo would ordinarily refer to total floor space if no qualifier is given, not footprint.

The plan I have asked for a costing on has 3 floors (2 garages and 1 room on the ground floor). The 'footprint' is I think about 30.

30 jo or tsubo?

House buying people:

What you decide on for heating?

Surely not the old toyu heaters?

Aircon?

Retired the toyu heaters years ago. Hate those toxic things.

Rely primarily on kotatsu, yuka danbo and heated carpet (under the futon).

Aircon is backup in case of extreme cold, used very sparingly.

Oh, and heated toilet seats.

And hanten.

Interesting, thanks

I suppose ultimately I don't care about numbers, I just want a nice spacey house.

:)

So much to think about. Just waiting now on architect to come back with my plan, he says impatiently!

Sounds like it will be pretty spacey, especially for two people.

Getting wider hallways and stairways makes a big difference in how the house feels, and improves flow.

Some builders offer "meter tan-i" -- based on units of 1 meter, rather than the traditional 90 cm. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is. Can two people comfortably pass each other on the stairs? etc.

That is exactly one thing in my plan.

We both thought that the house we saw the staircase was a little narrow.

Specifically asked for that to be wider, as we as a general increase in size and rearranging of rooms etc.

:)

You know, you may want to re-think that. Maybe not now, but if you have one, some day, you may learn to love the washitsu.

We had one put in mainly as a guest room for the in-laws, but it has actually since become our favorite room, and where we spend most of our time now. Just much more relaxing than the hard-floor living room, somehow. (The living room is now used mainly as a place for the dog to hang out when everyone else is out of the house.)

Just a suggestion! In the end, it's your house, so do what seems right for you.

We're actually coming from the other way round MO.

We actually have one now, and we wish it were flooring.

I suppose we will give it more thought but that was actually one of the things we both agreed on when we came out of the show house.

All good to hear and read though.

I'll let you know when I know.

The house we are basing my plan on, including land, ballpark is just under 20 million.

The land we are looking at is cheaper, but my adjusted house plan is bigger.

I expect perhaps somewhere within that number including the land.

Actually I must admit to really not knowing at the moment if I'm being honest, I'm eagerly awaiting some numbers and stuff to get that ballpark idea myself.

I suppose you could say it's still all early stages.

:friend:

Dumbstick

Building on top of a garage? Wow, I would never have guessed, especially after 180 square meters of inexpensive land were mentioned.

Its perfectly fine of course, and is unusual enough to make me happy in a "get what you want" kind of way. It just makes it much harder to give you any kind of advice.

Is the garage being built out of concrete?