• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lucky I run all your posts straight through an enigma machine!

Ditch the chicks and get off the bus at Rusutsu and meet them in Hirafu that night. Repeat Saturday. :)

Yeah I reckon Friday could be pretty unpleasant with the wind, and associated lift closures and queues. Should improve from Saturday.   I might be hitting Teine on Monday, if you're going to be back

Well, I got lazy today and didn't make it to Myoko after all. Judging by the resort reports and webcams I'm not missing much. Oh well... we should be getting some good waves here tomorrow so I'll be choosing a different board I think!

Don't know.

Depends on the weather and what ms muikabochi wants to do.

KANDATSU!!! You might as well go to your most hated resort on the worst day of the season for crowds. It can only be better than you expect.

im going to assume its because of the shink. If you have a car and live in the area you have snow tyres, and its gonna be pretty easy to hit up your resort of choice. If you live in tokyo its a bit of a drive. you probably dont have your tyres, you have to pay for toll roads and gas, and you have to get up at the break of dawn to get here. Might as well just shink it, especially if youve got a JR deal.

And these shinks are going to take an hour and a half or so. So this means you can catch your metro to shinjuku or wherever youre picking it up from and then get the 7.30ish shink bringing you here around 9 and then pop down the steps at a nice leisurely pace and grab the bus. Seems logical when its all said like that. If it was purely locals using it, itd be insanity, but i have a feeling its Japanese gaijins.

The first shinks leave just after 6am....but the first bus to Hakuba (for example) doesn't leave until just after 9am....why? Why isn't there a bus to meet the first shink?

About 12cm-15cm of kind of crappy at my house, but I would guess 30 of powdery at Tsugaike today. :D

Half the hill was closed and the other half seemed to have daigakusei sitting on their arses in the middle of the runs :eyes: , but it was quite fun around the edges. Much better than I expected anyway. :happyshades:

Any Beta info on Niseko for Friday and Saturday? From the looks of the isobars on that approaching storm, it'll be hecka windy..

I'm taking a bus from Sapporo, arriving Niseko welcome center 11amish Friday. and riding Saturday, too.

Anyone interested in meeting up in Niseko Friday Noonish? I'm traveling with (intermediate) girlfriend and her (beginner) friend, but if the snow is too perfect, I want to be tempted to blast off for something steeper and deeper. Any suggestions for which lift / runs to head to?

And should I bring the skins and avy gear or will the Sidecountry be all closed off Fri and Sat after the big, windy mess blows in?

Anyone want to meet up for some deep runs in the trees, please PM me or post here..

Cheers,

-z

Don't know.

Depends on the weather and what ms muikabochi wants to do.

KANDATSU!!! You might as well go to your most hated resort on the worst day of the season for crowds. It can only be better than you expect.

Hmm, let me think!

Nah...... not going there again this season, got my pics. ;)

The only good thing about the weekend at Kandatsu is that they actually open the place up so you can go on the best course there. :doh:

Any Beta info on Niseko for Friday and Saturday? From the looks of the isobars on that approaching storm, it'll be hecka windy..

I'm taking a bus from Sapporo, arriving Niseko welcome center 11amish Friday. and riding Saturday, too.

Anyone interested in meeting up in Niseko Friday Noonish? I'm traveling with (intermediate) girlfriend and her (beginner) friend, but if the snow is too perfect, I want to be tempted to blast off for something steeper and deeper. Any suggestions for which lift / runs to head to?

And should I bring the skins and avy gear or will the Sidecountry be all closed off Fri and Sat after the big, windy mess blows in?

Anyone want to meet up for some deep runs in the trees, please PM me or post here..

Cheers,

-z

Yeah I reckon Friday could be pretty unpleasant with the wind, and associated lift closures and queues. Should improve from Saturday.

I might be hitting Teine on Monday, if you're going to be back in Sapporo by then.

• Like 1

The resorts must save a ton on electricity, what with half of the lifts closed for half the season!

I calculate that as a full 50% savings on their 'leccy bills.

:thumbsup:

Your financial insights are astounding Pies, how you stay ahead of the curve is awe inspiring and I wish I had a fraction of your intuition :)

Thanks Tubby.

I do try my best.

I always did quite well at Maths (that's 'math' for you American friends out there) at school.

From an early age I was counting pies, and I always particularly enjoyed the 'pie-charts' in maths too.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Why was it closed Wiggles?

When I say half, it was half the runs from the top since the main ridge run down the middle was closed. It had a sign saying "confirming safety" but its not steep enough to be dangerous.

I got out again this afternoon, and it was very nice on piste. Super forgiving on dodgy carving so great conditions for railing them and letting rip.

I found some dudes from the SDF out in camo, leather boots and very straight white skis with leather tele bindings.

I thought I might see some seriously old school dropped knee free heel action but all I got was very rigid snow ploughing.

If Japan is ever attacked by crack Siberian troops, I think we'd have a better chance with Corporal Jones.

Cheers,

-z

Ditch the chicks and get off the bus at Rusutsu and meet them in Hirafu that night. Repeat Saturday. :) :) :)

Actually, Pete is onto it, except they might like the groomers at Rusutsu too.

Yeah I reckon Friday could be pretty unpleasant with the wind, and associated lift closures and queues. Should improve from Saturday.

I might be hitting Teine on Monday, if you're going to be back in Sapporo by then.

Thanks for the replies. Been to Rusutsu and it was great. Teine on Monday sounds cool, too. For sure, NOT Niseko is good advise. and fortunately, the chicks are inter-sufficient, so ditchable, but only at the same resort..

However, I've already committed to the bus/Niseko, so looking for particular info on what part of the mountain to head to if, for example, the top is on wind-hold. And which gates are good and accessible in that case? Or tree areas inbounds that satisfy.. Lifts? Runs?, etc.

And what's the chances of my Chuo bus getting stuck/canceled? It's dumping in Sapporo now, and 18 more hours of this will do a number on the travel conditions..

Doesnt the Niseko bus stop at Rusutsu or maybe just some of them???? I know getting off early may cause absolute kaos but it would be worth it. :)

This Chuo bus doesn't. right to Niseko. Kaos was my middle name, but I changed it to "The".

BTW, is there anywhere to stay for cheap in Rusutsu? Totally heading there next chance..

I may have just ninjad a day off! :) Quick! anyone got the bus times to myoko suginohara from teh station. I would LOVE to score a sneaky half day before the crowds make it in. :) Need info asap though because i think im pushing it for trains