Two fatalities in Niseko (late January 2013)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In truth my gut reaction to this was "oh god, another thing to add to the list of ways the snow is trying to kill me!" I knew cracks existed of course. You just need to look at your own hill to see t

Well, the Finnish person apparently went through an open gate.   I think it would be useful if we knew some more details: were they alone, what was the cause of death (trauma, asphyxiation, exposure

Remember to keep the relative safety our sport in perspective. In Australia, only about 0.5% of snowsports participants need medical attention of any sort and as far as I know we have quite a high inj

Turn on TV Asahi right now......! Happo out of bounds special

All those misbehaving gaijin is what it pretty much turned out to be...

Finished off with a story about a girl from Ireland who they had to send out a search party for. She was found and in good shape..and was charged ....su ju man en.

I saw that. Lots of stupid people on that show... mostly gaijin but not exclusively..

please don't underestimate how difficult (read almost impossible) self rescue from a glide crack is. it is likely that you will have fallen head first with a lot of loose snow underneath you and above you. if your skis have released, you may be able to wriggle around but if they have not, you will very likely be stuck until you are rescued. asphyxiation is a common cause of death in these circumstances.

early this season in niseko a very experienced local skier fell into a crack in bounds and was rescued unconscious; it is thought he survived longer than most because he was wearing a full face helmet with a little extra breathing space which stopped him aspirating snow.

carrying a short rope is a very good idea on all BC adventures. 10m of 8-10mm rope is fine. a couple of biners too. a few metres of climbing tape good too.

early this season in niseko a very experienced local skier fell into a crack in bounds and was rescued unconscious; it is thought he survived longer than most because he was wearing a full face helmet with a little extra breathing space which stopped him aspirating snow.

Now that is the kind of information we can learn from.

A )the possibility of a full face helmet not only offering protection from injury to the face, but also offering a little extra breathing space in the case of immersion.

B )that he was an experienced local and STILL fell into a crack INBOUNDS.

The best rope for a rescue is the one you have -- versus the one you left at home/car, because it was to heavy/bulky to bother with 'today'.

I think I'd be interested most in something between paracord and 6mm climbing line.

Maybe paraglider line (core made of made of Dyneema/Spectra, etc.,) would be a good choice to carry? it's amazingly strong and light. 30m of that would weigh almost nothing. one drawback is it's not the best for tying in knots, since the sheath is separate from the core. some random 2.3mm Dyneema line I found is rated at 225 daN (roughly 225 kg linear tensile breaking strength from what i just read) and sells for around $1usd / meter.

maybe a 3mm dyneema/spectra high-strength line or 4mm nylon line would strike a good balance. thoughts?

and all in all, I think a longer, thinner line works out to be more useful than a shorter, thicker one. one scenario would be to take that 4mm-ish line, threading it under a victim's arms and torso and pulling them out with the other two ends held together (wrapped around the rescuer's back, etc. no knots and twice the load carrying of a single shorter length (which would also need to be knotted).

some good info here:

www.prep-blog.com/2012/03/28/the-usefulness-of-paracord/

Really appreciating all the useful, thoughtful sharing of info here. Thanks, all..

-Cheers

I reckon something like this would be good...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/BEAL-%E3%83%99%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB-8mm-%E3%82%B4%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%87%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4-BE11002/dp/B005TF2KX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359560314&sr=8-1

I saw a 20 metre pack of something similar in the shop today - didn't look like a huge burden to carry around TBH.

Really Gary? There's been like one death caused by a glide crack as far as I can remember over the last decade at Niseko. There'd have been millions of skier days in that time. The chances of dying in a glide crack at Niseko are probably less than the chances of you slipping over on a sidewalk and dying. It's good to be aware of glide cracks as they do occur every season at Niseko but aren't you guys just taking this all a bit too far purely because of one death?

Really Gary? There's been like one death caused by a glide crack as far as I can remember over the last decade at Niseko. There'd have been millions of skier days in that time. The chances of dying in a glide crack at Niseko are probably less than the chances of you slipping over on a sidewalk and dying. It's good to be aware of glide cracks as they do occur every season at Niseko but aren't you guys just taking this all a bit too far purely because of one death?

Hi GN, hope all is well. I cant and wont speak for others but can shed some light why for me Im interested in this discussion and I've just used this as a learning re what else I can carry in my pack that would be useful in a variety of scenarios not just a glide crack, particularly as Im rather new to BC. In addition Im not likely to be in the Niseko BC anytime soon more so all over Honshu where maybe conditions are different, maybe not, but I know of one guy that has fallen in a large hole already this season riding in an area Im likely to be in and they needed rope to get him out. Am I now "over" prepared" I sure hope so. Maybe it was those years as a "Patrol Leader" in the scouts or now being in my 40s and being more risk adverse then ever. :) I'll still take risks but want to be the best prepared I can be.. ;)

This is a pic from the incident last week in Hakuba BC. This and the glide incidents this week is why there is now rope etc in my pack.

gallery_8327_245_14791.jpg

• Like 1

JellyBelly, that's a bit silly then isn't it.

No one is talking about giving up skiing, or not going back country.

Just learning from accidents to reduce the chances of tragedy and increase the likelyhood of being prepared in the event of an accident.

GN was expected to pop up with the usual why worry about one death when hundreds die every day all over the world.

It's his thing. That's OK.

But one death in a decade, and two deaths in one day both from glide cracks in different locations, are a bit different to each other.

Clearly an awareness of glide cracks and how to avoid, cope if you get caught up by one, and improve your chances is relevant to many SJers.

I know it's relevant to me.

Particularly because of the location and likely amount of time my children, my partner and myself will be spending there, inbounds and back country over the next decade.

Are these two deaths connected in any way?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they weren't at all.

Purely co-incindence, bad timing, whatever you call it.

I'm with GN on this one though. The over-reactions and sometimes self-righteous comments when something like this happens are borderline amusing. << This is NOT to say that one should not be prepared and aware if one is to partake in risky activities.

Hi GN, hope all is well. I cant and wont speak for others but can shed some light why for me Im interested in this discussion and I've just used this as a learning re what else I can carry in my pack that would be useful in a variety of scenarios not just a glide crack, particularly as Im rather new to BC. In addition Im not likely to be in the Niseko BC anytime soon more so all over Honshu where maybe conditions are different, maybe not, but I know of one guy that has fallen in a large hole already this season riding in an area Im likely to be in and they needed rope to get him out. Am I now "over" prepared" I sure hope so. Maybe it was those years as a "Patrol Leader" in the scouts or now being in my 40s and being more risk adverse then ever. :) I'll still take risks but want to be the best prepared I can be.. ;)

Youll not be entirely unsurprised to learn that in my two years as a scout i got ZERO badges. I also had search parties looking for us on TWO separate occasions around the hills and forests of Duffus castle on orientation. I wasnt orientated.

No GG, you are correct.

The two deaths were on opposite sides of the mountain, different nationalities, one local one tourist.

The connection is that they were both glide cracks, both on the same day.

Thats telling. Obviously glide cracks are an issue at the moment. It is a good opportunity to discuss and learn.

I don't know that spurring on a discussion of what rope would do the job, and how best to identify glide cracks and avoid them is in any way self righteous or over reacting. If that information is 2nd nature to you, great. But it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

Now that is the kind of information we can learn from.

A )the possibility of a full face helmet not only offering protection from injury to the face, but also offering a little extra breathing space in the case of immersion.

B )that he was an experienced local and STILL fell into a crack INBOUNDS.

I have also heard that full face helmets can fill up with snow and stop the wearer from being able to breathe. I read that one person could only breathe after removing the whole helmet after a fall in the snow. I imagine this could also happen in an avalanche. The only difference being that you would be unable to remove your helmet. The Canadian avalanche website, however, recommends "helmets that protect the face and mouth" as they "increase the chance that you will have an air pocket if buried in an avalanche." I wonder if there is any data to compare the survival rate of avalanche victims with and without full face helmets. Snowmobilers tend to wear full face helmets more often so while I know that as a group they have more avalanche deaths due to causing more avalanches, I wonder if the survival rate of the avalanche victims is different to groups who don't wear full face masks as often.

I think the discussion on glide crack safety and rescue is also relevant to tree wells. While I observed glide cracks in Hokkaido, I haven't locally. Tree wells, on the other hand, are an almost constant hazard around here.

Im sure they were, but to be honest, due my my limited experience I had not considered them except when they were visible from a lift.This incident and the ensuring discussion has raised my awareness and Im better prepared to help others. How can that not be a good outcome?

Thats telling. Obviously glide cracks are an issue at the moment. It is a good opportunity to discuss and learn.

OK.

So were glide cracks not an issue before these two incidents?

I am sure they have and haven't, depending on the snowpack, weather etc.

They were most definitely mentioned in the Avie Report the day of the accidents.

Alrighty.

Not sure what objection you have to others having one and adding rope to it?

Ive found myself stuck on my back across a similar hole to the picture Pete put up, opening a bit smaller, collapsed under my butt and to one side - I was taking my weight on my board edge and shoulder blades hoping it didn't go. Also had a full immersion that took half an hour (with it caving back in on me once) to get out of. Both I got out of by myself, but scary enough to inject a bit of caution and scouts motto (Be Prepared).

If you are not keen on carrying a rope. No probs. But I don't see why you care if a few people wish to discuss which rope they are looking at for max strength, least weight?

Some people were talking about what kind of rope they would use for pulling someone out of a hole and mentioned using paracord. I said that would probably not be good enough and then suggested something that probably would. Whether or not you choose to carry around something like that is going to be down to your preference and down to the kind of places you are likely to venture off to and the kind of riding you are likely to do.