If you have the money, might as well buy the wifi backpack. That way you don't have to keep looking at it to make sure its doing what you want. Also, there's a free app, which allows you to preview your shots on your phone/tablet (using the wifi backpack).

We bought a couple for Christmas. I had one of the orig ones but it would play up when it was a bit colder.We bought the chest harness and collapasible pole and mount they came with the helmet mounts.The boys are having a bit of trouble with them playing up one camera has come good the other still playing up.Check out their forum a lot of un happy people.The contour is worth a look as well

I got the gopro hero 2. I have had a few minor problems with it since I installed an update. First off, installing the update was problematic - I thought I'd bricked the thing, but I checked on the gopro site and they had a walk through for the problem which sorted it. Since then, it seems to take a little longer to switch on 5 or 6 seconds from pressing the button to be ready to film instead of 2-3. Also, I had some problem where the camera ocasionally just stops recording about 5-10 seconds into the recording. Not the best really for what is quite an expensive bit of kit. I just installed another update though, so I'm hoping that will have sorted it - it seems to switch on faster now.

In terms of accessories, I'd say some kind of pole mount would be good - helmet or chest mounted footage in my experience is 90% useless - I got literally hours of it and it just looks boring - I'm just going to delete it actually, cos it's taking up space on my disk! For helmet or chest mount, you should try to have someone in front of you (quite close because of the wide angle view) and film them. If you don't have anyone if front of you to film then I'd only bother if it is sunny conditions - if its cloudy, snowing, or just flat light at the end of the day it's gonna look boring - you'll be much better sticking the camera on a pole and filming yourself. Also, you can stick the camera on the end of a pole pointing away from you and use it to film a freind close up (without getting so close you'd bump into each other!). Don't forget to try to get lots of different camera views though - that will help you to edit an interesting video - it'll probably be a bit boring if it's all one view.

I guess the wifi backpack could be useful, especially the little wrist mounted control pad thing - obviously you don't need this if you are buying a 3, and also the dive housing, which again you don't need on the 3. You might also want to pick up the desicating inserts which could help with fogging problems - I think they can be re-used by heating them in the oven for 10 minutes.

I got the gopro hero 2. I have had a few minor problems with it since I installed an update. First off, installing the update was problematic - I thought I'd bricked the thing, but I checked on the gopro site and they had a walk through for the problem which sorted it. Since then, it seems to take a little longer to switch on 5 or 6 seconds from pressing the button to be ready to film instead of 2-3. Also, I had some problem where the camera ocasionally just stops recording about 5-10 seconds into the recording. Not the best really for what is quite an expensive bit of kit. I just installed another update though, so I'm hoping that will have sorted it - it seems to switch on faster now.

In terms of accessories, I'd say some kind of pole mount would be good - helmet or chest mounted footage in my experience is 90% useless - I got literally hours of it and it just looks boring - I'm just going to delete it actually, cos it's taking up space on my disk! For helmet or chest mount, you should try to have someone in front of you (quite close because of the wide angle view) and film them. If you don't have anyone if front of you to film then I'd only bother if it is sunny conditions - if its cloudy, snowing, or just flat light at the end of the day it's gonna look boring - you'll be much better sticking the camera on a pole and filming yourself. Also, you can stick the camera on the end of a pole pointing away from you and use it to film a freind close up (without getting so close you'd bump into each other!). Don't forget to try to get lots of different camera views though - that will help you to edit an interesting video - it'll probably be a bit boring if it's all one view.

I guess the wifi backpack could be useful, especially the little wrist mounted control pad thing - obviously you don't need this if you are buying a 3, and also the dive housing, which again you don't need on the 3. You might also want to pick up the desicating inserts which could help with fogging problems - I think they can be re-used by heating them in the oven for 10 minutes.

. Thanks for that info Gary.The chest mount would be no good for boarders.I agree the sticks the best helmet not bad also

I've been using a $100 GP copy on a telescopic pole. Agree that 90% gets deleted.

My worry is the potential impact on a small number of offpiste boarders (or skiers) flat-lining down through the trees at warp speed on a powder day, in order to get a "good" YouTube video (going too fast for the conditions or their ability & hitting a tree).

Its possible, I guess but I reckon it's not necessary to go really fast to get good looking video - I think because of the wide angle it ends up looking quite fast anyway, even if you are going pretty slow.

If anything I probably end up skiing slower with the gopro on a stick, simply because I find it harder to ski like that. Obviously others might be different.

If you have the money, might as well buy the wifi backpack. That way you don't have to keep looking at it to make sure its doing what you want. Also, there's a free app, which allows you to preview your shots on your phone/tablet (using the wifi backpack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioJYHJwdu0

Wouldnt bother with WIFI unless you only want about 5seconds of video before the battery dies, Deffs have a Battery Pack and spare Battery. I change mine at lunch and it works out good for me, I dont turn mine off i leave it on a just record when ive strapped in. If you a boarder DONT even think about a cheasty unless you want to remember what the side of the gromers looked like, they work OK in the trees.i dont use the 3m mounts as to many of my mates have lost gopros in the snow from using them. I used a combo of head mount on a helmet (and on beanie if i was feeling rebelious) and a gopole, seams to have worked. just editing the mountain of video now.

Yeah I have the 3 and wouldn't worry about the wi-fi app that you can add to your phone it doesn't show you your vids or photos and then you need to take your phone (and glasses if you can't see) with you it's pretty simple to turn on and off.

I just used the mounts it come withs to stick it to my helmet (front not top less chance of losing it) and used a fishing trace as a leg rope and I used the pole mount to attach to an old ski pole but never got round to using it.