As the title says, have you done this before, and stayed in a hotel by yourself?

My 'boarding buddy bailed on me on a long weekend away, and might be going by myself. Any tips?

Hell Rob...I do it more often than not. Love the family but they aren't exactly hard chargers so my wife just books the hotel for me ....and we're out of each others grill for the weekend.

Hey, I'm a tech fool......I like old school!! ;)

Mind you Rob being the tech geek that he is, he probably could whip up a sexy companion on his computer a-la Weird Science.....just don't forget to hook up the doll!!

If you have a spare one, please send it back to us and we'll offer it to someone who entered the Giveaway... before not using it.

Sorry, apologies.

I'm sure I can stay another day, if I have too.

Normally travel this way as have no immeadiate family and most of my close mates cant afford to bunk off as often as I do. Great way to meet new friends and get to ride/eat/drink with them which you may not otherwise do when you have a buddy with you. Also some advantages to not having a wing man at times. On the downside you can end up riding by yourself a bit which is fine on resort etc.

it does make a difference. Heres something to note about ryuoo.

First, its awesome fun on your own because that b course is PHENOMENALLY good fun to ride. I dunno your ability, but if you can ride trees and can handle yourself on a bumpy ice wall, then youre going to have a blast there.

The hotel from the black box courtesy of the information center has been the same both times, so i assume theyre probably the big place for black box. Its great. They have wifi, but you can only access it in the lobby. The room there though was decent. The big thing to watch out for though and the one and only time youll honestly feel daft being on your own is at the meals. Theyre in a massive hall, and everyone else is in a group. Youll likely see very few gaijins, and almost everyone both times were in their late teens/early twenties. Youll probably be the only person sat on your own to be honest if its the same place. And if its black box, it probably is. I genuinely felt massively stupid the two days i was there on my own and almost skipped the breakfast on the second day out of the pure shame i felt at dinner on the first day. (But obvioulsy being scottish, id paid for it, so i was bloody well eating it!)

Its honestly the ONLY moment that youre gonna feel stupid. Bring a phone or something to pretend youre texting all your mates while you eat. Once youve pigged out (its a buffet), get ready, clip in and you wont give less of a crap that youre on your own to be honest. Because its a tough mountain to ride, friends will either be pissed off waiting on you or youll be pissed off waiting on them. Its a "no friends on awesome b course days" type of place. Aside the airbag, its not really a place where riding with people is a big deal (like maybe myoko or nozawa where you can get pretty bored with the terrain after a bit). I could honestly ride that b course all day without giving less of a crap that there was someone there with me.

Im in Hokkaido from Australia for 6 weeks on my own lol! Already met heaps of peeps and a few from the forums too. Just do it, its your life if you sit back waiting for company you will miss out on a lot of opportunities.

• Like 1

Bloody hell Ippy, wasn't expecting that, but thanks for the review. :D

Ippy over achieving is a surprise? :) :)

Yeah meals are the only time but that has also lead me to eat with complete strangers who have become my friends. The other way is to take a book.

OR

Take a block of cheese that is fragrant. ;)

must say we met a great friend three years ago at hakuba who was traveling alone over breakfast and skied with us that day and many times since and comes up and stays each year. Life an adventure you never know where you mite end up.

Bloody hell Ippy, wasn't expecting that, but thanks for the review. :D

Ippy can't do anything in less than 5 gazillion words! ;)

Seriously though, ice wall.....that does not sound fun any way you spin it!

Its only the start of the run, and sometimes its even powdery. You can also skip it by heading skiers left into the trees there (which i usually do) or head skiers right into a hell of a powder drop under the ropeway (which ski patrol are very cross with people doing). Once youre off it, its up into the trees. Get enough speed and you can make it really damn close to the ridge line itself, and then down you pop into a super fast natural half pipe before bombing out into the resort proper and playing on the side hits. Its awesome. Dont knock the ryuoo!