Terrain parks open in the Hakuba area at the moment ?

Doe's any one know if any of the terrain parks are open yet.Goyra is small.47 not finished. Happo ? A few year's ago I was told you could catch the train to a resort close by that had a great terrain park but can not remember the name of the resort.Have tried to check it out on the SJ page's.but no luck I have 3 park rat's starting to get restless.any help would be welcome Thanks.

I think you are thinking of Yanaba ski area. No shuttle buses are available but you can catch the train. About 15mins from Hakuba station. The ski area is a few minutes walk from the station.

Happo park is scheduled to open on February 2nd.

Why do these things only open in February?

Not specifically in Hakuba but in general. Is there a good reason, or is it just the way things are....

A fair amount of snow is needed to make a decent park so by late Jan there is usually plenty.

Thanks every one I will check out those places in the SJ pages Looks like Happo opens 2/2/13. The boys come home on the 30/1/13. They are having a great time and had built their own mini park next to where they are staying and give it a work out after a day up the mountain. Would be nice to have that energy. Maybe we should send some Aussie park builders over there they do a good job here with a lot less snow.

Found the Sun Apina Kashimayari sports village On the SJ bible. But there site page is in Japanese. If any one can tell me if the terrain park there is open.that would be great looks like the mountain is open. Thanks

Not specifically in Hakuba but in general. Is there a good reason, or is it just the way things are....

A fair amount of snow is needed to make a decent park so by late Jan there is usually plenty.

So, it's not bottomless then?

:confused:

interesting.gif

Not just that, but you need a decent speed on a lot of those run ups to clear the knuckle. Any powder usually trashes the shit out of most park features and jan/early feb is usually consistent powder. Its really later in the season when conditions get fast enough to hit the feature for a lot of places. I mean you COULD devote a decent steep line to your terrain park in case of powder drops, but a lot of parks are built on average gradients with maybe a run in for the bigger hits. Throw in powder or generally soft conditions and people will be lucky to even reach the lip.

They love the powder Krusty I suggested Cortina to them.They will have to sort that out and see if it windy or not in the morning and if its worth catching the bus.I'm sure they will have a great time some where.

Are u not actually with them?

No we are back in Aust and their computer is playing up.I told them to see the guys at garage 902 or simliar shop for advise.

Not just that, but you need a decent speed on a lot of those run ups to clear the knuckle. Any powder usually trashes the shit out of most park features and jan/early feb is usually consistent powder. Its really later in the season when conditions get fast enough to hit the feature for a lot of places. I mean you COULD devote a decent steep line to your terrain park in case of powder drops, but a lot of parks are built on average gradients with maybe a run in for the bigger hits. Throw in powder or generally soft conditions and people will be lucky to even reach the lip.

This is a Japan only phenomena though, I was thinking maybe because there are less tourists come february? There has been plenty of snow everywhere since december. Also, perhaps, more serious people get a month or two's worth of practice?

Seems retarded to me.

• Like 1

This is a Japan only phenomena though, I was thinking maybe because there are less tourists come february? There has been plenty of snow everywhere since december. Also, perhaps, more serious people get a month or two's worth of practice?

Seems retarded to me.

Have to agree Aggro they get excited here when we have a metre of snow and are able to build some great parks.I'm surprised as I have watched some awesome locals going off when I've been there with my lad's
  • Like 1
It just seems a waste to me to spend all day doing flips in the park (not that I CAN do flips in the park) when Japan has awesome powder
They are Young Tubby Just told me off to Happo for some Pow and trees tomoz Look out for 3 young blokes tearing it up
  • 1 month later...

The reason they dont build them early is simple to much snow. It would cost a fortune to dig the jumps rails and boxes out constantly with the abundance of snow that falls in december january snd febuary.

The reason they dont build them early is simple to much snow. It would cost a fortune to dig the jumps rails and boxes out constantly with the abundance of snow that falls in december january snd febuary.

As I said before it's due to a lack of snow.....I use to groom in Japan and have made the odd jump but the last time I went up in a cat was a couple of years ago with a friend who is a professional park builder who was flown in to build the park at Happo. This was in late January and he was concerned about the lack of snow to work with and and didn't want to reduce the snow base especially on the approaches to the jumps so he had to spend a lot of time to push enough snow from another area to build up the park.