Truth is, after the recent flurry of actually long resort reviews, i have a feeling the SJ guys are going to be rather stoked. These reviews are way more than i was ever expecting. I was expecting something more like

I went here. It was great. I rode a bunch of lines. They were fun. Heres some pics.

<pics>

It was great. We had a great day out. Thanks for the free tickets!

Which is of course fine and pretty much al id personally expect But people seem to really be stepping up. Cheers nate, next season more freebies are looking a little more likely than they were this time last week.

As for karasawa, i WISH theyd open that top lift on it. Itd make the area so awesome for beginners. In fact there wouldnt be a better run in japan than top to bottom karasawa for beginners. Perfect pitch, nice and decent length, and utterly bereft of other people... (which of course is in part because its currently a bit out of the way for only one shortish run).

• Like 1

Nice, Nate. :thumbsup:

But... what is this???

gallery_12761_255_514008.jpg

Please don't tell me someone is trying to bring that degrading custom to Japan...

Many regard Noz as a cultural experience with snow sports paradise. The attitude in the pic just does not belong in Japan. I find it quite repulsive. Not an attack on you Nate. Thanks for showing it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments on my first TR everyone. I used this forum to try and find some information out BEFORE I went to Nozawa Onsen. The forum didn't answer all my question, so I figured I'd do a "Best of" review to help out anyone going for the first time. Ippy...glad you feel the same about Karasawa run being a great slope--definitely a nice pitch to teach first time riders.

Norcal--they had a Never Summer demo tent up near the Skyline lift that weekend. Cool American guy from Minnesota running it.

As for the picture of the tipping jar, it was on the bar at the Craft Room with a Japanese female bartender Junko. I guess the bar is owned by a yank and an Aussie guy or something. Great location for a bar. I think they only had one microbrew on tap at the time, wasn't bad but not for 900 yen. That was probably the single most over-priced item in Nozawa! I found prices to be very reasonable considering it's a fuggin ski resort 4 hours outside Tokyo. Loved the free apples and nozawa-na (pickled veggies) at a lot of the restaurants.

The Stay Bar also had a tip jar that read "The More You Tip, the More it Will Snow". I agree...tipping is stoopid...people should expect great service, period. Not sure if anyone understands my user name...it's what you call people who have become "too" Japanese (Tom Cruise's character in The Last Samurai). Sounds like some of you are Nate Algrens too, ROR.

Next trip is 15-18 Feb to Niseko...going by myself...looking for a single bed/accommodation.

Nate-Dawg Algren

One last thought....

In Hawaii they have bumper stickers that read "Keep the country, country". I'm going to stand on the corner in Nozawa and hand out ones that say "Keep Nozawa, Nozawa".

Just loved the small town/village feel of Nozawa and the small mum & pop shops. No Starbucks, no Mackers, no 7-11/Lawsons/Family Marts.

Great report Nate Nozawa is where we recomend any first timers to Japan to head . We could not get accommodation there this year when we wanted to go. But that has aloud us to go and, explore Myoko?

• Like 1

The Stay Bar also had a tip jar that read "The More You Tip, the More it Will Snow". I agree...tipping is stoopid...people should expect great service, period. Not sure if anyone understands my user name...it's what you call people who have become "too" Japanese (Tom Cruise's character in The Last Samurai). Sounds like some of you are Nate Algrens too, ROR.

It has nothing to do with Japan per se, beyond it being a non-tipping country.

I used to work in restaurants where tipping was the norm. I hate the dynamic it sets up between employees and customers, as well as between employees. I'll tip in countries where it is expected, but I don't want to see it spread to new countries, and would ideally prefer to see it die out everywhere.

I really do find it a degrading custom for all involved.

• 8 months later...

Cheers for ths info in this thread, we will be skiing Nozawa Onsen during mid Feb 2014 for the first time, very much looking forward to it!

Will browse this & similar threads more closely to help in advance.

Go Manly!

thanks for the report, all good info.

Like Sea Eagles its my first trip to Nozawa (but not japan). Looking forward to the crazyness of crowds over the xmas / new year period - should be pretty unique compared to the usual boring old fireworks on sydney hardbour.