I just did some extensive research on this including asking a sample of 5249 people and a telephone survey, so I can answer your question.

Because if they were half price people would use them and the ski jo get less cash.

As it is now, people will see a half day isn't much cheaper and may plump for the full day ticket.

And if they really still only want a half day, they have to pay the 3500 yen.

Like Cortina, right?

Cortina has a half day package discount coupon too. Only problem is the onsen doesn't open till 1pm, so I would imagine a lot of folks on morning half days don't get to use that part of the deal.

More flexible pricing is definitely the way to go. I'd go more if they had a two thousand yen for two hours ticket. Or a point ticket I could use without burning through the cost of half day ticket in the same time. Goryu's point ticket is 380 yen a lift and some of them are very short.

Not specifically Cortina because, as Mr. Wiggles said, they also have a half day higaeri pack. At Akakan you can use their coupon to get four full day tickets for 3500Y/pp, plus an 800Y lunch ticket (as well as some free or discounted onsen tickets for around town). The half day ticket is 2800Y. Even if only one person uses the coupon they pay 3800Y for the day (and get all the extras) meaning it's only 200Y more than the half day.