Kandatsu Kogen (Yuzawa, Niigata) - 21st January 2013

I went to Kandatsu Kogen this morning, hoping and thinking it would be one of my favourite 'deep blue' days.

Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way, it was more a milder blue and it actually clouded over and went grey by mid morning.

Anyway, I don't really like Kandatsu Kogen.

I usually go once a season because I like the views from the top on a clear day.

The place kind of annoys me, especially how one third of it - the best bit - is closed on weekdays.

But I've covered that before so won't go on about it.

I didn't change my mind today.

Snow was ok but not as good as I expected considering the snow late last week and over the weekend.

Just wasn't really up for it today, not even taking pics. But took a few. So here's how Kandatsu looked today.

kk-4.jpg

kk-7.jpg

kk-8.jpg

kk-9.jpg

kk-10.jpg

kk-11.jpg

kk-12.jpg

kk-14.jpg

kk-13.jpg

kk-15.jpg

kk-2.jpg

kk-5.jpg

You probably don't know but muikabochi contributes loads to these forums and many magnificent photos from many places.

He is a local and lives in that area and certainly does not think it as 'blah'.

His point is probably that he personally does not recommend Kandatsu compared with other places in his area.

I can understand the weekday lift closing thing being annoying too.

Thanks Saitaman :ashamed:

Sorry LCaldwell, don't take my negative thing there too seriously. I feel bad now. :(

I love this area as muchly as is possible, believe me.

I feel very lucky to live here and admire the surroundings every single day.

Obviously I'm not coming here and posting as an overseas first time visitor - that would be impossible for me to do now.

Just passing on my thoughts on Kandatsu, for what they are worth, as someone who has been to all the ski resorts in this part of Japan many times.

That's all.

And.... if you are a first time visitor, I would recommend other resorts in Yuzawa and Minamiuonuma over Kandatsu.

And I'd be more than happy to pass on any thoughts and answer any questions about this particular area that you may have too if you want.

:wave:

I love this area as muchly as is possible, believe me.

I feel very lucky to live here and admire the surroundings every single day.

I can vouch for that.

I doubt many people in that valley take as many photos of it as muika!

:lol:

One man's poison is another man's pleasure...or so they say.

Kandatsu is actually one of my favorites, in Niigata, that is. It is a smaller scale resort. I actually wrote a strategic guide sometime back about how to cover the resort, with some lifts only opening at certain times and all...

Strategic guide!? Are you absolutely sure we are talking about the same place?

Considering there are only 3 lifts (the one that gets you to base doesn't count), and they all bring you back to the same area, I can't imagine that is needed!

4 lifts at weekends (2/7ths of the season) but again that comes around back to the same place.

Actually yes they do - for a 1 day ticket - 300 yen less (4200 yen > 3900 yen).

Half day tickets are the same on any day though at 3500 yen, which doesn't seem fair.

I used a freebie though.

Great photos. You've got some lovely scenery. Them disco balls are also well freaky.

Everyone knows times are tough for skijos, but ones that stay open yet appear happy to offer a half-hearted attempt at service certainly don't help things.

With all the costs involved for city folks to go skiing, a lot of them won't simply decide to go somewhere else after a less-than-satisfying day. They'll just decide to stop going altogether.