Just a quick review here - nothing of Ippy's length. Or so I hope.

Background

This season, I am trying to get to as many new places as possible, and this is definitely one I have not tried before. I tend to use the JR day return trips, 日帰り, deals as you can get some money off if you plan the trains well, which means more money to spend at the resort.

Yuzawa Park Resort is about a 4kms bus ride from Echigo-Yuzawa train station, and there is a free shuttle bus that departs from the East exit, every half hour or so, or on the hour. But be warned, it's quite a small bus, so get there early to be first in the queue, otherwise you may have to wait for a bit for the next one. I chose Yuzawa Park Resort, primarily because I had heard that it does get some good powder, and after the last few days of snow, I wasn't disappointed.

I didn't take many pictures, as I thought it was going to be snowing; however, how wrong was I?! The morning turned out to be beautiful, with blue skies and a few clouds, dotted around, which lent the area to produce some stunning views of Yuzawa and further afield. In the afternoon though, it started to dump down, but nowhere near as bad as a few weeks back, on the 4th, but pictures were definitely out of the picture.

map.jpg

Resort

As you can see above, the course's aren't too difficult, and I would recommend this place for beginners and intermediates alike. See those green patches? Those are the tress. And they aren't roped off. So, in I went, and had a great time, although the board, a Burton TWC wide 158 did have some problems handling the powder, as it was pretty deep, almost up to my knees, it did me well. If you go up to the top, there are lots of places to rip up, and I think in the whole time I was there, I saw two orange fences, and they were well placed as there were two steep drops either side of them.

The courses are nice and wide, so plenty of turns could be made, and also the resort was quite quiet, compared to some of the other places around Yuzawa. There was also a small park area, and some fun little courses e.g. go alternate going between blue and red flags, some slalom courses and so on. You could easily cover the whole resort in the morning, but I wasn't there for that, like I said, it was powder and there was plenty to play in. Did I mention that already?

Food & Drink

Standard stuff really, ramen, curry, udon etc, but well priced and the portions were a good size too. I had a curry and beer, came to about 1000yen, which was a nice surprise, and was pretty tasty. There were quite a few restaurants dotted all over the place, and well similarly priced.

Overall

I enjoyed the place, more than I thought I would, but I would recommend a JR deal. At 4,000yen for a day pass, it's a tad expensive for what it offers, but a good resort for families, beginners and also intermediates.

This man was happy with it all though.

408458_10151246329573299_266943944_n.jpg

• Like 1

Great review! We actually need more reviews like this if you ask me (as if id say otherwise!). It really helps people thinking about riding there get at least some idea of it. Yuzawa park especially is one of those places i cant see anyone a) riding; b ) even thinking about riding; and c) even if they were thinking about riding, would be struggling to find information on it. Aside a few pictures, maybe one thing the resort is lacking is info on vert just because its hard to really get a sense of the scale.

Sooooo... http://www.snowjapan...ail.php?resid=9

Just to round it out. Great stuff dude, and thanks for putting it up.

Muika picture robery time!

muikabochi_722.jpg

muikabochi_720.jpg

joshnii_47.jpg

I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, MiJ.

That's where I first clicked into a pair of skis, and I put a lot of days in there back in the day.

Have always thought it offers a tremendous amount of variety for a place that's not very large.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yuzawa Park would be well down on my list of places to recommend to someone who is going to Yuzawa for the first time.

It is fine for a half day, but it is small. For me it's a place to go to once in a while 'for a change'.

Wouldn't get carried away with the Yuzawa Park love dudes, small and not particularly interesting place.

Yuzawa Park would be well down on my list of places to recommend to someone who is going to Yuzawa for the first time.

It is fine for a half day, but it is small. For me it's a place to go to once in a while 'for a change'.

Very much agreed, guys. I fancied a change from the melee that is Kagura / Maiko on the weekends. I probably wouldn't go back here again but was pleased I did go.

• SnowJapan Admin

I don't think there was another lift.

Haven't been for ages, I used to go there 2-3 times a week for nighta after work. I think it was the first skijo in Yuzawa to really welcome snowboarders.

The resort behind is/was Kayama Captain Coast, now closed.

I went there when I first came here, not been back.

The other one neary was Yuzawa Nakazato. Not been there for ages either. Not sure if it would be worth it actually, though bring back some memories.