Hey all,

Quick question re getting a gopro in Japan.

Can you buy a gopro 3 black coming through the airport duty free?

What price should I expect?

Can you pick one up in hakuba? If so where?

Can you claim duty back exciting Japan?

Thanks for your help.

D

:lol:

I'm not being much help, but I doubt something like that at the airport.

Are you spending any time in Tokyo? Big electric shops might be your best bet. Or get someone to help you online in Japanese.

I think there might be a very small chance you could buy it in the airport, but even if you can, "airport premium" usually way more than wipes out any savings you make on duty compared to online buying.

It's not something that is generally on sale in many shops - you'll be struggling to find it even in the big electrical stores.

Best online price will be around 47-48K for the black edition (Amazon.co.jp) and people are bidding very close to that on Yahoo Auction so that I think would represent about as cheap as you can get it in Japan. That would work out 530 US dollars - the US RRP is 399, so it's not exactly cheap here...

Was reading recently the Go Pro guy is a surfer from calififornia- has made over a billion dollairos from this product - need to check it out also !

That's one lucky duuuuuuude!!

might try hitting up one of the stores in ecoland in hakuba to see if they are catering for the international crowd... highly unlikely but worth a shot.

Be careful we bought two for Christmas both are playing up and not working at the moment.Checked out their web site a lot of unhappy people

Yodobashi Camera sell them (still have the GP2) and you can also order online through GoPro Japan. RRP is JYP40k for the Black but nowhere has them in stock atm; mid Feb is the expected shipping date.

Been a few lost in the hills already this winter.. might have a better chance getting one with a shovel rather than a credit card.

Yodobashi Camera sell them (still have the GP2) and you can also order online through GoPro Japan. RRP is JYP40k for the Black but nowhere has them in stock atm; mid Feb is the expected shipping date.

Been a few lost in the hills already this winter.. might have a better chance getting one with a shovel rather than a credit card.

LOL

More guys ride avalanche terrain carrying a credit card than a shovel though.

• Like 1

So I looked around Hakuba with no success. That's ok, had a blast all the same, some epic pow out there at the moment.

Did you try 902 in Echoland? Pretty sure last year they were stocking them.

Cant remember the name of the shops i went into in Echoland, but didnt find any around.

Instead spent my $$$ on some Bose QC3's, helped on the flight home, could actually hear the movies and sleep without distraction. 35,000 yen was good value (roughly $370AU) when they go for $450AU RRP back home.

I think the Sony one has some sort of image stabilisation (digital). Im not sure how well it works, but it's something I wish I had on my GoPro.

Other than that it seems that the Sony can't match the Hero 3 Black edition in terms of the range of resolutions and the number of different modes etc. Not sure about the image quality and I read that the firmware can be a little unreliable (actually the firmware on my GoPro hasn't been great since I updated it a while back so...)

I think a good thing about being able to film with the higher resolutions that the GoPro 3 Black offers (eg 2K and 4K) is that you could then use some digital zoom in your editing software without the image becoming a pixellated mess although at only 15 fps for the 4K mode, you won't be able to slow it down at all.