• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My toppest tip for Zao without car is to get the pair lift by the Ropeway at base and then get up the mountain on the ski lifts. Better still, with car, park at Kurohime and get the superdooper fast

:lol:

The Ropeway that they got rid of was one of the big box kind. Never rode it myself, perhaps it was surplus to requirements. Taking out a big chunky ropeway can't be a good 'image' thing though.

Thanks - Bond reference was to the 007 movie with the ropeway - the Shiga one reminded me of it. The egg gondy was great compared to that single chair there where you have to carry your board in your lap :(

• 7 months later...

Just found out that Adatara Kogen will not be running their gondola this coming season, "for various reasons."

:(

That gondola is the whole reason to go there!

I mean, there are a couple of shortish intermediate and expert trails accessible from the chairs, along with a pole bahn, but without the nice long steep stuff accessible only from the top, it would be hard to justify spending a whole day there.

Instead, they are installing a second snow escalator for little kids...

Sigh. I can only hope they change their minds, and soon. I'd really like to support them, but I cannot see myself driving 2.5 hours each way to visit "Adatara Family Snow Park" (as they may as well rename themselves :grandpa: ).

:sadface:

I'm sure they have a multitude of reasons, none of which have pictures of Fukuzawa Yukichi on them...

Sure, it all has to come down to money. Obviously they think keeping it running is a money-losing proposition for them. But removing the main selling-point of the resort is really getting into desperation territory. It smacks of Kandatsu's closing of Muikabochi's favorite course.... Penny wise and pound foolish.

And checking the web-cam, the gondola was running today for hikers. So it's not that it is broken.

They did suffer more than just about anywhere else from 3.11, being located closest to Fukushima Daiichi, but I thought things this past year were starting to turn around. Inawashiro and Grandsunpia Inawashiro Resort are bringing lifts back out of mothballs this coming season, for example. Things looking up and all.

They did seem to have a lot of wind-holds last season... but still, the gondola was the main attraction of the place, when it managed to run.

Well, we'll see.

Not that I ever feel like defending Kandatsu Kogen too much, but at least they open the lift and Milky Way course on weekends.

Doesn't help me as I'd never want to go to Kandatsu on a weekend.

Is this gondola closed on weekends too Metabo Oyaji?

Not that I ever feel like defending Kandatsu Kogen too much, but at least they open the lift and Milky Way course on weekends.

Doesn't help me as I'd never want to go to Kandatsu on a weekend.

Is this gondola closed on weekends too Metabo Oyaji?

Yes,it will be closed for the whole season, weekends (presumably) included.

It runs in summer but not winter.......are there that many more hikers?

Does seem hard to believe, doesn't it? Well, I guess it's not just hikers, but also leaf-peepers and general sight-seers who will just ride up, look around a little bit, and ride back down. But still.

Hakkai did indeed change from gondola to Ropeway.

Weekdays the Ropeway only runs every 20mins or so, whereas I suppose a gondola is always moving.

Not that I know anything about running costs.